Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536708 times)

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #90 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:13 PM »
I would like to say welcome to the new guys. It's great to get a lot more reports.  Finally got on preist lake. We took home 7 macks and missed quite a few more. They were in the 16"-25" range. No whoppers but definatly great eating. I'll be going up there again.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:23 PM »
Keep those pike reports coming in...

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:48 AM »
Bearsfan.........  How was the ice on Priest?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:56 PM »
We were at Cavanough bay, farther in the bay there has been ice there for some time (month or so), the new ice is good solid 4-5". There were 8 guys out there but they all left ealry. No fish on the ice from what we could see. Pinto point still had open water.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:09 PM »
HELLO BEARSFAN! WE MUST BE NEIGHBORS I LIVE BY MCARTHUR lake. I am new at this ice fishing. i would like to no how to catch the lake trout icefishing. bait jigs or both??

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:08 PM »
I could use more reports on Priest Lake ice conditions. Interested in fishing for Macks.  What are you using to catch them.  How deep of water are you in?  Are you using helicopter jigs and fish bait?  Are your jigs glow jigs?  What colors are working best?
Is anyone catching perch at the condos at Pend Oreille or Sunnyside?  What are the ice conditions?

South end of Lake Coeur D' Alene is very slow. I have not heard reports of any great numbers of pike or perch being caught.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Friday !!yeah!! going perch hunting tomorrow at Kerr. will let yo know how that is tomorrow night. right here. :)

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:37 PM »
  went fishing at round lake today and only caught one perch. had a nice bite on a red glow hook but by the time i got over there the fish was gone. probably was a trout because the pole on my ice rod holder was going crazy! I'm amazed it didn't break my line. anyhow i did get 3 bites from perch(not including the perch i caught). so as you hear(or in this case read) fishing is pretty slow. one guy did manage to catch 14 fish (not sure what kind) and another 2 bullheads, other than that most people got skunked.
Tom
"to succeed you must first learn to fail"

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Jan 31, 2009, 06:28 PM »
Tried upper Twin today. No fish. Was going to go to Hayden at Sportsmans park, but the parking lot did not get plowed and there was nowhere left to park on the street.
I did talk to a guy coming out that said the Pike fishing was fair using tip ups about a foot below the ice with smelt or herring.
There were also over a dozen people on Avondale (probably catching perch)
I personally think perch are not worth the hassle on a filet board, but for those of you guys farther north that like them, try Gamlin in Sagle.
I have fished that a few times, and that lake ALLWAYS produces the biggest perch I have ever seen.
Has anybody tried Fernan this year ? It was stocked with 4000 Triploids in September.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:13 PM »
well here's what kerr lake gave us, Lot's of wind there yesterday and that made it cold but we stuck it out for 4 hours and did get 60 perch.some pretty nice ones. theres was 6 of us to do that. always fun no matter. i would like to thank everbody for the report's it is very interasting to read them and plan a fishing trip on them. :D

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Priest lake on saturday, well it was slow. There was was about 50 people out there and the guys who made the trek across cavanaugh bay were successful. I heard of four fish caught (there was probably more) for the majority of the people that were along the road. One guy in our group had one hooked but didn't get it. Last year up there I used light color Gitzit's and caught a few and my buddy used an airplane jig. I tied up my own jig's this year and the root beer krystal flash worked the best for me. I got glo jig heads from sportsman"s wharehouse that were 3/4 ounce. Would have like to have gotten heavier because it takes a long time to get to the bottom. We were fishing 145 to 200' deep.

I gave up fishing pend. I've been to the condos and sunnyside quite a few times and have only gotten a few. The heron at the condos is probably going to starve this year.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:30 PM »
HELLO BEARSFAN! WE MUST BE NEIGHBORS I LIVE BY MCARTHUR lake. I am new at this ice fishing. i would like to no how to catch the lake trout icefishing. bait jigs or both??

Just wanted to know if you have ever fish Walsh?  It's by Samuels conoco. Been there several times this year and it's been so slow it's driving me nuts. I did pretty good last year. I keep saying i'm not going to go back but I do, it's so close.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Went to mirror lake friday, got a limit of rainbows before noon. Have been there twice this year and have limited out both times. No kokes but quite a few people are getting them.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:58 PM »
yes i have fished Walsh but has been a few years ago and we didn't  catch any.  I herd there was some nice fish in there? i even herd there was some pike there. i am going to go to McArther and try to get some more perch i did pertty good last year. they where small but have lots of time and i love perch filets.  :icefish:

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:14 PM »
I was wondering if there was pike in there just because it seemed like those panfish kept moving around like they were being pushed. Next time I go out I'll set up for pike and see if I can't get anything. Maybe some time this week. I heard on the radio that MacArther had one of the highest mercury levels in the state. In fact I talked to fish and game saturday at preist and they said one serving of anyfish per month for pregnant women. My wife is pregnant so I wanted to look in to it.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Feb 06, 2009, 05:47 PM »
Going to try Walsh all weekend to try to find those elusive perch. Hopefully my taxes will be soon then i'll make it up to preist for a few days of getting macks.

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:12 PM »
I want to buy a gas ice auger, does anybody have a suggestion on size and make. the ice is pretty deep this year for a hand auger. I was thinking a 7 or 8 inch one. I have to get over there to that prest lake and get some of thoes macks to, that sounds like a good time to me. :tipup: :icefish:

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:18 PM »
I fished MacArthur lake and I got 16 perch in about 2 hours. not to bad. least it gets you out of the house. :icefish:

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:11 AM »
How big were the perch in MacArther?

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:38 PM »
i dent measure them but i think they where small to average. there was a couple i am sure went 8 inches. they made a good supper for my wife and I tho.  :icefish:

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:49 PM »
I seen  holes all over welsh today was that you bearsfan? I was at the gun show all week end or I would have came out and said hi and seen if you needed help packing them fish off there. if it was you how did you do?                                         

:icefish:

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 08, 2009, 11:02 PM »
yesterday i went out on round lake and caught 2 brook trout near the river exit. i was fishing kind of near the dock and didn't get a thing. the brook trout started biting around 3:30 P.M. a few guys that were there by the river exit caught about 30 brook trout in the morning. one guy i talked to caught 20 perch around the evening as well. me and two guys(the guys by the river exit) got 1 perch. so fishing was average with a few hot bites near the evening.   

Offline chipmunksniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:06 PM »
any size to the brookies? may head up there this weekend.

Offline tom1234505

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:33 PM »
any size to the brookies? may head up there this weekend.

they were small, about 2-4 inches but theyre good eating. if you do keep the brookies (if you dont know you can keep 25 brookies) and cook them the rib bones dissolve and all you have to do is remove the back bone and walla! you got fish chips. (theyre crispy if you cook them right and theyre just like eating potato chips, only with fish)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:00 PM »
I fished Priest Lake today.  Slow fishing, got one laker about 3 pounds.  About 8 inches of ice.  Saw about a dozen there guys fishing.  They caught a few but it was slow for them too.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Feb 11, 2009, 01:11 PM »
I hear ya with the gas auger, it's over 2' deep at walsh. I had drilled several holes on the other side and got several bites in one hole. NO FISH. Taxes came in so I'm going to priest thurs and fri. My boss was up there last fri and got his limit. He's been using a chartreuse and white 4" lead jig he got from sportman's. I think it's 2oz but not sure. Sandpoint Outfitters is having a fishing derby for biggest whitefish and perch caught on pend oreile. Don't know any more details. I haven't had much luck on that lake this year.

Offline BSUBOB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Hey guys has anybody caught good numbers of perch at sunnyside or the condos?  I got to fish there a couple of weeks ago but it was really fast for a few minutes then slow for the rest of the day. I just wondered if the perch have come in there in big schools yet?

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Feb 12, 2009, 10:11 PM »
A buddy and I went up to smith lake today and done reel good on rainbows. we got are limit from noon to 3 and one was 14 inches the rest 10 to 12. lot's of ice 18 to 20 inches.

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Feb 13, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Whats the story on Coccolala these days. How is the ice and the fishing?
an angry man catches no fish.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Feb 14, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Cocolalla has about 18" of ice and there catching lots of 7" perch and a few trout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.