Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 540345 times)

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #150 on: Nov 14, 2009, 09:33 AM »
This should make what ice we already have pretty solid!!!

Today: Scattered snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8. Calm wind.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 29. Calm wind.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 8. Calm wind.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. Calm wind.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 12.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 45.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Wednesday Night: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.

Thursday: A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38.

Thursday Night: A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Friday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
Re: East Idaho Ice
« Reply #151 on: Nov 21, 2009, 03:56 PM »
Just got back from a local hot spot. Had 4-5" of good clear solid ice. Caught our limit consisting of 5 rainbow cuttroat hybryd's and one fat brookie. Will post pics when buddy sends them to me. My 13 year old boy pulled a 23" and 6lb gutty hyryd just before we left. It was a fun day walking on hardwater!!!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #152 on: Nov 22, 2009, 10:06 AM »
Congrats on finding good ice.  Looks like it will be a while around here (north).

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #153 on: Nov 23, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Awhile is right unfortunately. Got my deer saturday so now it's time for fishing. The forecast doesn't look promising this week.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #154 on: Nov 23, 2009, 01:50 PM »
Unfortunate is true.

I see a lot of jigging off the dock at Round Lake.

? Any other local known spots ?

Tom

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Come on cold. Looks good this next week. Oh and what are they doing at round by the docks jigging through ice or what.
an angry man catches no fish.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #156 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:15 PM »
When the ice is only half inch (or less) drop a weight a few times for a hole and fish 18 to 20 ft. down.

You might be surprised what's down there and how many take a ride home with you.

Just a few more days and this little trick won't be needed.

Even with safe ice that spot might keep the dratted "skunk" away.

Good luck and stay safe.

;)

Offline eatumfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:09 PM »
time to go ice fishing  :) :icefish:

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Where?  Cocollala was 100% covered this morning. Its been iceing it over but the wind has kept it from a full freeze. Also there is a ton of ice on the LPO river.  Along with a ton of Eagles.  The ice there is not solid by any means but it may be soon. Its kinda like a big chunked slushy.  There are some big sheets floating and the bays by the Long bridge are froze up.  I doubt you can walk on it. Unless your crazy and like 2 inch ice.  I will post the first time I see some bucket junkies out there.  I drive by it every week day.   

Anyone ever fish by the LB or maybe Sunnyside?   I hear of some huge perch coming out of both. Never tried either. One guy last year told me they were catching 12-13" perch out of there.  Can anyone confirm?

There are Walleye out there. But I don't think the ice ever gets out over deep enough water. You never know though. 

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:25 PM »
I have caught some nice perch near the condos in past years.   Last year was slow when I was there.   My biggest was 12 inches with most in the 9 - 10" range.  Pretty nice for around here.   

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #160 on: Dec 09, 2009, 01:07 AM »
These low temps (-13 Tuesday morn. in my backyard) are making good ice in the north shore bays but, ice piling up elsewhere. Recon trip tomorrow - ice depths to follow.

I.ve always caught 30-50 perch at the condos and have devoted too many mornings to Sunnyside areas and only catch from none to eight and those times that bring 3 or more home, at least one is almost always over 12".
Best 08-09 was 13.5". Best I saw and saw measured was 14.25" and won the $50 put up for the largest perch by Sandpoint Outfitters. Alas, it was not mine but, seeing it was (.... Fill in ....).
So, maybe another contest this year.  I'll check and post.

;)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Dec 09, 2009, 04:00 PM »
I stopped by Round lake and Cocolalla today.  Drilled holes right at the dock so it my not be as thick out a ways but:    Round Lake 3 1/2 to 4" and Cocolalla was close to 2".   Cocolalla supprised me, It was open water when I drove by on monday.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #162 on: Dec 09, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Well, that's good news, Blue Duck.
A bit under the weather this morning so will try to check Sunnyside tomorrow.

;)

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Dec 09, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Anybody go to gamblin lake out in sagle. There are some fat boy perch. Wondering about the ice. And I heard there were people out on hayden yesterday. Sportsmans area anybody else heard that, Seems a little sketchy.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Good news.  I saw two bucket warriors out on the south east side of the long bridge this morning when I drove across.  Wonder how they did?? Was it any of you guys?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #165 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:44 AM »
Not me. Good news and bad news on Sunnyside.
Nice newly paved. But, no parking on the road and the spaces are very limited.
6" of ice that goes to near mid lake - watch that current.
One of our forefathers with one each of limited gear including jig and pole - no bites but, said he saw several 4" or less perch. Half a mile out in 2 1/2' deep and no weeds. He guessed he walked over three miles looking thru clear ice.
IMO a little snow cover might help bring them into the shallows.

Never on Gamblin (yet) heard the same of monster perch but, quite a bit of space and time between them.
 Well worth the wait to get a few wall hangers that get fried.

Stay safe

;)

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Dec 11, 2009, 04:45 PM »
yarh I got a few last year that pushed 15 to 16 inches but only a few per day it's never hot out there.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Saw another guy out on the south east side of hte Long bridge again this morning.  still havent seen anyone by the condos yet. Also havent seen anyone on Cocolalla yet.  But they may be out there when I am at work.

I may have to try somewere this weekend.  Where is this Gamlin lake at?  How do you get there?  How deep is it ?  And are there really 15 inch perch there?  I have never seen one over 13 .  Doesnt mean they done exsist. But man that is one big perch. I am not sure I would eveen keep one that big. Might have to let that go to keep the gene pool going.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #168 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:57 PM »
Gamblin Lake is east of Sagle and toward Glengary.

Take Sagle Road and avoid turning at Garfield Bay and then avoid Camp Bay and then just 2 or 3 miles of curvy road that runs right beside Gamblin Lake.

Depth is shallow marsh to deep hole.
I'll post after my first trip with sonar and cross reference landmarks.

Best map is Forest Service and may be free.

Thanks for all your ice updates.

Good luck.

;)

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:33 PM »
I will be there tomorrow. we will be in the blue clam swing by and say hi. good luck.

Offline perch pullin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Dec 12, 2009, 11:21 PM »
Fished upper twin lake today with the kids.  They had a great time and my daughter saved us from the skunk, she landed the only fish  Not much going on up there.  I was on the ice by about 9:00am and only two other people showed up.  Talked to them and they said it has been real slow.  There is 6-7 inches of good ice.  Any word on Cocolalla, I think I will try that out next weekend.  Nice web site, good luck everyone.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #171 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Saw people on Cocolalla yesterday.  I fished Round.   7" of ice on Round lake and I caught a limit of trout in 4 hours.  Thats with 5 rigs.  So its not very fast.  Saw several other people with few or no fish.   I don't think the ice on Cocolalla is as good as round but its getting there. 

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:14 AM »
I may head out today.  Just don't know where?  Too many choices.  If I head up to LPO I have to drive right by Cocolalla why not just stop there?  But then there is Round? But if I head up there I have to drive right by Cocolalla why not just stop there?
But then there is Gamlin? But if I head up there I have to drive right by Cocolalla why not just stop there? Or I could try Granite or Kelso? Or I could just keep going up to Cocolalla.  I think I am starting to see a pattern here.

Maybe I will just try Cocolalla. I always seem to catch fish there.  Especially for the first day out this year.

Fatherbohab, How was Gamlin? Or did you make it out there?

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Dec 13, 2009, 09:22 PM »
went to gamlin 7 inches clear ice. I caught one perch but my buddy killed em with his buzz stick. biggest one was 13

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Anyone make it out yesterday?  I am thinking of giving Cocolalla a try today.  But this Gamlin sounds interesting too.  Someone needs to post some photos of these big perch.  Maybe me if I can find them.

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:24 PM »
anyone know about how this stupid weather has affected the ice. And is itall slushey and gross on top.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:56 PM »
I walked out on Cocolalla today, didnt drill any holes myself but looked at a couple.  Theres a good 6" of clear ice there with 3+ of slop on top.  Kelso had close to 8 of clear glass and 3" of slop on top.  I hate fishing on slop, it sucks.

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:48 AM »
I guess I will have to go back out today for a bit.  I wish we would get a c old snap and freeze up the slop.  I hate the slop.  all your gear gets soaked and your sled gets all wet.  Maybe I will pull a few trout out of Kelso.  I saw a couple of nice ones yesterday.  Two guys I talked to had 7 on the ice.  One that was pushing 16 inches.

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Dec 20, 2009, 01:12 PM »
I was driving to my late archery hunting spot last weekend and saw there were 8 - 10 people out on the ice in sportsmans park on Hayden.

Anybody hear of any reports from there ?

I didn't see any tip ups through the binos so I'm guessing they were pan fishing.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Dec 20, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Fishing on the Chain Lakes is improving. The ice is 6-7" at Thompson, but there are spring holes that keep things a bit dicey for early morning walkouts.  Had decent luck last week on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday using tip-ups for pike.  The word got out and last Friday nine pickups showed up.  This week a few pike were caught, but it has slowed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.