Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431589 times)

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1890 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:03 AM »
No snow cover besides miniscule drifting between the shacks.  You can get anywhere on the lake with a car or truck.  Or if your not one to drive on the ice you could drag anywhere.

;)Thanks Buster. I appreciate it. I am coming up Sat. afternoon & Sunday to rip some lips & hopefully my bud & I can do our share by lessening the yellow population a bit. With young kids, I don't get out as much as I would like with only a couple times a season.

Depth's & roaming fish: Can anyone please share what depth we should look for during the day & also after dark. I presume they migrate deeper during the night. Thanks all.

Rip some lips & be safe!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1891 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 AM »
If you are after Crappies and perch i'd suggest 15-20+ fow in the little lake.  Yellow bass drive out from the pumphouse if you have a 4x4 and work your way west down the shoreline.

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1892 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:59 AM »
So what's the story about the a vehicle going through the ice on the little lake last night? Heard it was a 17 year old guy. Anyone have more info about what happened?

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1893 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:03 PM »
So what's the story about the a vehicle going through the ice on the little lake last night? Heard it was a 17 year old guy. Anyone have more info about what happened?

I was wondering the same thing, especially since I plan on going up this weekend!?  The paper said it was 200 yds to the E of McIntosh St Park.  I presume this is in the Big Lake. It also eluded to the channel so don't know if was going from the Little to the Big. Was there an aerator over there or something that he got too close to?

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1894 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:05 PM »
If you are after Crappies and perch i'd suggest 15-20+ fow in the little lake.  Yellow bass drive out from the pumphouse if you have a 4x4 and work your way west down the shoreline.

Thanks again. You're talking Farmer's Beach (W shoreline), correct?

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1895 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Here's the story on it. You would think the ice would be thick enough through there. Any input why the ice would be thin in that spot?

http://globegazette.com/news/local/no-injury-in-lake-rescue/article_4f2d5088-66b5-11e2-ba9e-0019bb2963f4.html

Offline junior71991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1896 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:13 PM »
I didnt see exactly where the car went through the ice at. But my understanding was only the tires broke through, I know the whole car didnt go through the ice. Anywhere around the channel is a no-go zone. Just use some sense.
Common Sense......Ain't That Common Anymore!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1897 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Jeez boys stay away from the channel especially the east side.  Get a strong west wind when its open it turns that ice into crape real fast.  How many times are people gonna dump it there before they put up thin ice markers?  Its mainly common sense.  But I guess if you dont know the lake your rolling the dice right.  Glad theyre okay.  Coulda been alot worse.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1898 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Ice must have been real thin being that car can't weigh a 1000lbs at the very most.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1899 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Ice must have been real thin being that car can't weigh a 1000lbs at the very most.

That's what put the fright into me. It wasn't like it was a 3/4 ton truck that dropped the tires. Whew!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1900 on: Jan 26, 2013, 12:17 PM »
Ive noticed a large increase of the muskrat population over there in the past year.  Those muskrats are bad news for near shore ice. Almost walked into a muskrat dive hole last year and that was over 100yds off the rushes.  May have to start trapping again even if rats are 2$.  I will start growing my trappers beard now for next season.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1901 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:47 PM »
The Yellow Bass are still on Fire.  Check out this video.  Yellow Bass Bonanza Yellow Bass Bonanza

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1902 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Was getting 9-10 $ out of rats >16"   Jumbos were $12

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1903 on: Jan 30, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Anybody know where the vehicle went through?  Saw it on clear lake but didn't say where

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1904 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Over in front of sandpiper east of the arator.

Guys you can't just drive everywhere want. use some common sense.

Check that......you can but itll cost you big bucks..

How many of you are fishing the bonanza?

Its going to be a great opportunity to win some awesome stuff!

Thanks
Chris

Offline jigspin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1905 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:42 PM »
swhere are the bigger yellow bass? big lake or little? any size to them.  I was out last week didnt fare so well . all I got were small yellows

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you like my lighted doorbell button?
« Reply #1906 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:45 PM »
The Yellow Bass are still on Fire.  Check out this video.  Yellow Bass Bonanza Yellow Bass Bonanza

We've been crashin the crappies and poundin some perch but yet to have an awesome yellow bite like in the past. I may try my old spot out from farmers. Somethin needs to give.

FISHIN TILL THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT!

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1907 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:16 PM »
I have been focusing on the big lake.

Caught 105 (myself) in 2.5hours Sunday morning.

Its about half large yellows half mid-size.

Spots are a little different this year due to water levels.

Between son,brother and myself we have harvested 400 since Saturday.

Good luck

Offline DAN03REV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1908 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:15 PM »
the wife and i plan on making a trip over possibly this Saturday .. checking in on ice thickness on little lake .. drive on still safe i assume at McIntosh ?? .. will be pulling my camper/icehouse 

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1909 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Another vehicle--this one a Jeep--went through the ice on Clear Lake yesterday afternoon.

KIMT did not say where on the lake it happened, just that the 1999 Cherokee went down in about ten feet of water when it hit an ice seam. The driver was not injured. http://www.kimt.com/content/localnews/story/Man-drives-vehicle-into-lake/A1ftn1KJVESbOk4rhKacJA.cspx

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1910 on: Jan 31, 2013, 09:57 PM »
i was over there on saturday afternoon and brought home 45 yellows outa the big lake, went back sunday morning and didny get on em as well. fished both big and little lake. ice was still good sunday afternoon on the little to drive out on. it was tough getting back of tho with the ice on the ramp from the rain!!

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1911 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:32 AM »
i was over there on saturday afternoon and brought home 45 yellows outa the big lake, went back sunday morning and didny get on em as well. fished both big and little lake. ice was still good sunday afternoon on the little to drive out on. it was tough getting back of tho with the ice on the ramp from the rain!!

I did the exact same thing. Sat was good & Sunday morning was not.  But Sun. morning, my buddy & I set up by 3 permies thinking we were in good water & was too lazy to check the depth because we thought we were good only to find we were on 8' of water on the only hump in the Little Lake. If was far off from the 20' we wanted. It sucked & the rain started so we just sat for two hrs prior to getting off the lake. We started to hear tires spinning trying to get up the ramp & thought we better motate off.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1912 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Yellow bass bonanza..

one week to go before late fee Feb 9th.

No lose deal you go get a cabelas tackle bag (24.99value) just for signing up.

Caught a few today but very tough.

Thanks
Chris

Offline DAN03REV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1913 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:53 PM »
called the fishery and got some gps info for a rock reef on the north off high bank .. any other structure in there that somebody has gps for ?

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1914 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:11 PM »
called the fishery and got some gps info for a rock reef on the north off high bank .. any other structure in there that somebody has gps for ?

Oh, that's where all the cars have been going thru!!    ;)

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1915 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:33 PM »
Anybody been catching northern?  Trying to find some. And or walleye...need a few tips on them.

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1916 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Caught this fat girl today... it was a fun fight on 2# line.

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you like my lighted doorbell button?
« Reply #1917 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:26 PM »
Nice fish! 5 more and ya got dinner for the family!

FISHIN TILL THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT!

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1918 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Im shocked another vehicle (ATV) went through Clear Lake. Dont be stupid people. travel safely,  dont always take the shorter route and travel where you know its safe. keep in mind where the aerators are. stick to the high traffic areas and dont travel out by yourself, always good to have a friend with. its beginning to look like this year the DNR wont push back the permy date. Feb. 20th. this week supposed to be around the 30's but gets down in the teens at night.
 stay safe out there and good luck! TIGHT LINES

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1919 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:49 PM »
The slabbies are in there.  Got several that size this winter and some pretty gynormous perch too.  Should be good fishing this spring for them If theres any left?

Where did that ATV go in at?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.