Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431551 times)

Offline buckeye24

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: clear lake fishing currently
« Reply #1290 on: Dec 15, 2011, 03:14 PM »
I totally agree with lucky dog and iaeye. You gotta keep moving until you find them. Once you do, you gotta get after them and stay after them. Good luck everyone and be safe out there.

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1291 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:58 PM »
How did the ice fair after the warm spell and the rain anyone attempted to go out was thinking of heading that way sat with the 2 boys to get them in on the yellows they have never caught any and not to many myself
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1292 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:01 PM »
I was thinking the same thing and also taking the boy out and trying to get on some of them yellows. I did talk to the dnr's office today and was told it should be good for saturday and the rest of my findings indicate it should be A ok. Good luck  ;D

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1293 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Hey crappiebuster you have a pm! I oughta fish this lake this winter. I've never tried it.

Offline icey kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1294 on: Dec 17, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Whats the ice looking like today thinking about making it out tomorrow sunday. thanks

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1295 on: Dec 17, 2011, 05:46 PM »
lookin' forward to tomorrow. should be on the ice by 7:30ish should be poppin holes by 7:31ish. good luck to all. I will post a report.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1296 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Good Luck Scalehusker!

I went out this evening, tried a new area saw 1 fish in 40-50 holes. Guess that was a bad move.  :'(

Overall the guys I spoke with today reported slow fishing compared to last weekend.

Highlight of the day 2 different friends out fishing caught a keeper WALLEYE. (1- 18" and 1- 22") The 22" was released, nice job!

I will have to try again tommorow.   :)

Good luck

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1297 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Fished Little lake today from about 11 to 4:30. Caught 2 lil yellows in our first 2 holes we drilled in about 6fow. Then kinda went around and tried different areas amongst all the other shacks around with pretty much the same results. We fished all different depths from 5' up to 12' and got alot of lookers in most holes but very few takers. The ice was at least 6" in all the holes we drilled and it looked good too. Very slippery to walk on and after that wind picked up it made it even worse. Seen one fellow chasing his Quikfish 3 toward the boatramp. Lots of people coming and going throughout the day. Looked busy over at Farmers too. Could see the trucks lined up the gravel road. Seemed like everyone we talked had about the same luck today.

Offline grandocg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1298 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:14 PM »
was also there all day with same results.  lots of looker with very few takers. brought home a few but not as much as we hoped for started out on farmers then went over to little lake ice was great every where we went.   

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1299 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Sounding good from you guys up there can't wait to try in soon.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1300 on: Dec 18, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Gonna go give east of the island a try today try and stay outta this wind.  Hopefully theres enough ice over there for a man.  Beings its close to 50 out :-\

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1301 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Buster Luckydog fished it the other day and drilled 50 holes and marked 1 fish.  I hope your luck it better..

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1302 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Had a decent day on farmers today. We brought home 30 over 9" and caught my first walleye. Beings that I wasn't up on my walleye regs, he was CPR'D.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1303 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:43 PM »
Had a decent day on farmers today. We brought home 30 over 9" and caught my first walleye. Beings that I wasn't up on my walleye regs, he was CPR'D.

I'll have to check that out tomorrow.  Thanks

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1304 on: Dec 18, 2011, 07:13 PM »
There was open water by the island.  Went to farmers and did very well.  Problem is I need to fillet them all now.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1305 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Fished the East end of the lake on a classic walleye structure. Only had 3 shorts and 1 perch  :'(

My 10 yr old did have a 35" ish Muskie, we had to the hole 4 times, had my hand in it's gill plate, nose in the hole, broke the 5# leader!!!! :'( :'(

ALMOST had a picture, sorry buddy.

Might have to go back to yellows by the sound of buster's report.  ;)

Good Luck

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1306 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:29 PM »
Betcha I know what them muskies are eating.........

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1307 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:54 PM »
heading out tomorrow and will be there around 3pm, hopefully i can do as good as CrappieBuster....this will be the first time going out this season and cannot wait, heading to the little lake first and see where we go from ther..also wondering what they are biting on? waxies?
TIGHT LINES EVERYONE

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1308 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:53 AM »
got a late start sunday morning fished till 1:30. Had a decent day one guy had a hot pole, he kept a meal of keeper yellows. Cigars, perch, and a crappie or two were caught. minnow heads was working for us, as well as waxies. First time out for all three of us so we were pleased. 4-6'' of ice everywhere we drilled. Saw a lot of people were walking across the lake from farmers, i was suprised.

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1309 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Good to hear. I may venture up there on x-mas day. My kids are with my ex this year so ice fishing a new place sounds good to me. I know after x-mas for sure. is farmers in the smaller lake?

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1310 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Was there today from 10 til 2  good bite when i figured them out but had to leave to make my sons wrestling meet my first trip up this year was out on farmers 8fw lost a lot at the hole it was a blast on my noodle rod with 2lb test hopefully head up later in the week or sat 

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1311 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:08 AM »
Finally went out for the first time this season. Walked out from Macintosh to 10fow from 2:30-4:30. Had about 8 inches of ice. I only caught 2 or 3 little crappie and 2 small yellows. Saw a lot of then on the vex and they would follow the bait but couldn't get them to do anything more then look at the it. Heard the guys fishing around me having the same problem  :-\

Offline bigjohn125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1312 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:14 AM »
Are yellow bass good eating?
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1313 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:37 AM »
The yellow bass don't taste bad at all.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1314 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:53 AM »
Most people who've tried both, me included, think yellow bass taste better than white bass.

Like others have said, don't be afraid to keep all the yellow bass you catch. They breed very fast, which is why Clear Lake still has so many of them despite the pressure they get from anglers, and they compete with other fish for food and eat their fry.

Down in southwest Iowa, some small lakes were taken over by yellow bass, so the IDNR had to spend a lot of money killing those lakes off and re-stocking them. That doesn't seem to happen in Clear Lake, but taking one or two hundred yellows out is still not going to hurt anything.

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1315 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Yellow bass are excellent table fare, MUCH better than white bass (and I like white bass).  I got hooked on them when 12 Mile Lake was being overrun by them in 2002/2003.  Lots of fun on an ultralight or through the ice, fillet up like perch and they are aggressive as all get out when schooled up.

As was mentioned above, they are incredibly prolific so I usually keep all that are big enough to fillet.  I wish the midnight biologists would stop spreading them around though, Cornelia is overrun with little ones right now and I've heard people getting them out of Little Wall as well.  Not something you want to "introduce" into any old lake system  >:(

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1316 on: Dec 21, 2011, 09:41 AM »
What is the most popular jig to be using? Sounds like minnow heads are a needed add on. I also have heard that small spoons mine be the ticket too. Will be up there on x-mas day.

Offline tgus59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1317 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:23 AM »
I've never fished Clear Lake but am planning on heading up there on the 26th, is the ice thick enough for my portable?  I don't need your secret spot but if someone would give me a starting point that would be great!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1318 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Any wheelhouses out on the little lake yet?

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1319 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:39 PM »
No wheelhouses yet... but with 8inches of ice yesterday it shouldn't be to long!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.