Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431583 times)

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1080 on: Jan 20, 2011, 02:52 PM »
WOW, I didn't last long out there in the wind. Fished 5 different areas  from 10:30 till 2:00 slow only hooked 1 fish and did not see too many.

Snow is drifting in the roads and trails pretty fast right now.

Going to take tomm. off and start again on Saturday.

Offline fishing nut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1081 on: Jan 23, 2011, 09:26 AM »
Fished sat. from 2:30 till 8:00 west side. Caught 3 crappie, 2 yellows 1 eye. Clear Lake is a different lake this year. Watched fish on the camera - very neutral, only saw small yellows. IMO the yellow bass are going to be the death of this lake!

Offline Northlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1082 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:07 PM »
Well, my older brother and I fished Brainerd's Ice Fishing Extravaganza yesterday...We left at 4:30 a.m. and after stopping only 2 places and after the bus ride there we got on the ice and to a spot at 11:30 just in time! And it was fairly hard to find 2 holes... We had fun, but the fishing was not extravaganza just the people! Haha I spotted fish on the vexilar FL-18 that I just bought the week before (and I just love it!) We didn't get any bites, but there was people around us catching placing eyes within 50 ft of us I would say, so we where in the right general area. All in all I would say I would go back next year and do it again, hopefully get there the night before so I can get a hole picked out earlier.

Did any one else make it up there this year or in the past years? Tell me about your experience?

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1083 on: Jan 23, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Saturday was a better day ended with 70 yellows and a couple specks and 3 short eyes. fished from 10-6.

going to hit it again Monday. No other reports? come on guys.

Coketec, were you ever able to get away from those pesky baby yellows?

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1084 on: Jan 23, 2011, 06:57 PM »
here is a picture attempt.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1085 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Here you go nay sayers the 70 yellows from Saturday.

[IMG]http://i52.tinypi

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1086 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:01 PM »

Still learning sorry

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1087 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:02 PM »
If you have nay-sayers, just put that days newspaper in the picture with you.  That will prove the date the fish were actually caught.

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1088 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Nice catch luckydog.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1089 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Should have blacked out the tower over by the Baptist camp too luckydog  ;D

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #1090 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:46 AM »
no need to post pics for anyone. if your that uptight about giving away your area, why even put a report up to begin with. just go about your business and keep quiet.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1091 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Cracks me up..... The guy gets called a liar etc. for how long, so he goes and posts some pics verifying the catches he's had and now he's uptight for trying not to give up his spots! Nice catch lucky! Thanks for the reports

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1092 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Nice ski looks like the kid doesnt know what to think :tipup:

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1093 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:49 PM »
The kid caught that musky on 6/2 fireline and # 5 flicker shad.

Thanks for the help posting pics Crappiebuster. ;D

No pics today but caught a bunch of Yellows and 2 12" walleyes. Fished from 10 to 3 pm in 8' to 10' jigs and spikes.

Good Luck

Offline nitro1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1094 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Out from 9-1pm, 10 fow in the little lake. Managed a couple of yellows, a small perch, a dink walleye and a 11" eye!! Its nice to get a little variety other then just catching yellows. Fun day just to be out fishing!

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1095 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:40 AM »
here is a picture attempt.

(Image removed from quote.)

Best part of this pic are the two portly dudes on the dock ;D  Nice ski for sure...congratulations to the boy.  He will remember that for a long time.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1096 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:19 AM »

Clear Lake on the 23rd of Jan. 125 Yellows and Even a few Crappies!! :)  12 fow green jig and spikes.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1097 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:03 PM »
Nice to see the crappies too.   On that note, 2 years ago we had fished Brushy and caught 5 crappies.  Went to Clear and had them in the bucket with some yellow bass.  Some guy walking by saw the crappies and just came unglued at us for keeping them.  Said all the locals had been trying hard to get habitat and get them going and it wasnt ok to keep them.  Im pretty sure he didnt believe me when I told him they came from Brushy, but whatever.   

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1098 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:35 PM »
The Crappies are doing really good.  We have caught 4 year classes of Crappies this year.  The Perch are also making a good comeback. 

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1099 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:54 AM »
Thats good to hear.  We dont have near enough places to go catch perch around here.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1100 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:00 PM »
Most the crappies you get outta Clear Lake are nice.  Hard patterning them out in the winter tho.  Spring time is a different story.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1101 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:15 PM »
The Crappies are doing really good.  We have caught 4 year classes of Crappies this year.  The Perch are also making a good comeback. 

Is it the dredging that is contributing to the good perch revival?  This summer, I was wondering if the little lake was going to get winter fished a lot more sec to the dredging.  It may be the hot spot in mid winter when the fish go deeper.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1102 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:56 PM »
The Perch need weeds to lay their eggs and over the last two years the vegetation growth has made a huge comeback.  The dredging project does have some to do with that.  I think the Zebra mussels are having a bigger part.   We should see a good Perch Fishing in the next few years.  Two years ago we managed to catch 31 perch over 10" out of clear lake.  Don't ask how because I don't know.  Just plain luck. 

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #1103 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Yeah I hear ya, sometimes it helps to have lady luck on your side.  Too bad she doesn't help me out very much... lol...

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1104 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Oh the big ones are in there.  Trying to find a picture of a 12 and 11 that came from there a few years ago. :-\  Anything under 9 is not worth filleting in my opinion. Seems like all the ones ive caught this year are in the 6-8 range that is a good sign to see.  I guess they were thick in there in the early 80s couldnt dip a line for eyes without catching a perch they never established any size to them though and were more of a nuisance than anything. Maybe in a few yrs with improving water quality the perch population will improve.  Still waiting for the walleyes to improve. ;)

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1105 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Oh the big ones are in there.  Trying to find a picture of a 12 and 11 that came from there a few years ago. :-\  Anything under 9 is not worth filleting in my opinion. Seems like all the ones ive caught this year are in the 6-8 range that is a good sign to see.  I guess they were thick in there in the early 80s couldnt dip a line for eyes without catching a perch they never established any size to them though and were more of a nuisance than anything. Maybe in a few yrs with improving water quality the perch population will improve.  Still waiting for the walleyes to improve. ;)

My ole' man & I were fishing this fall & he pulled at least a 12" perch out of there. He also pulled out a 9" or so blue gill which surprised the heck out of me.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1106 on: Jan 27, 2011, 04:54 PM »
i cant believe the dnr said yellow bass fishing was good there in the report they give out everyweek what a joke i was there 3 days last week with a buddy of mine that has a permanent out there and he said it was horrible we evern tried the little lake see how much they know

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1107 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Theres gills and even largemouth in Clear Lake.  Flatheads should be coming up soon also.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1108 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:41 AM »
i cant believe the dnr said yellow bass fishing was good there in the report they give out everyweek what a joke i was there 3 days last week with a buddy of mine that has a permanent out there and he said it was horrible we evern tried the little lake see how much they know

2 things.   First the DNR reports are typically a week or two, sometimes 3 weeks old before they make it to print.  Second, the yellows can be biting really good in one spot, and not at all 50 feet away.  If your permanent was set up on top of some active yellows that would be perfect, but once they move, you pretty much have to follow them.  When we fish yellows on Clear, we generally dont even take portable shacks, once you are too comfortable sitting in the heat, it keeps you from moving around to find the active fish.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1109 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:35 AM »
I agree with Nick we moved our shack 75-100 yards off the rocks onto the flat and in two hrs I had 17 yellows 2 eyes and a perch.  I was marking plenty of fish on the rocks just none of them would bite.  Musta moved to a pocket of biters.  Always good to move the house at least once a week anyways to prevent those dreaded drifts.  The fish are definetly still roaming the flats off farmers.  Pound the bottom with a heavy buckshot and stir up that silt till you mark a few on the vexilar then give em the bait and switch and drop down a smaller spoon catch a few and repeat.  If you got reel weeds drop a few rolls of them down there also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.