Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431552 times)

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #990 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:50 PM »
What? People are really getting worked up over a scurvy yellow bass population? To funny! Things are invasive bottom line. Eat em' as fast as you can catch em' and do everyone a favor.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #991 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Clear Lake is down but not as bad as others say.  two years ago I caught 10 walleye over 28" in one week with numerous other 2-5 lb fish, of them only one fish was kept by the way.   This was all produced in a lake with no slot limit.  Here is what happened, the inlet at the grade ran continously for two years due to the dredging project all summer long.  Normally it quits flowing in about early to mid June.  This left big walleyes concentrated in a small area, instead of spread throughout the lake for two years straight and very succeptable to overharvest which is what happened.  Regardless of limits, guys were taking home multiple 27-30" fish a day, why the DNR didn't watch it closer I don't know, but my point is that was a temperary problem.  Now that the dredging is over, fish in the upcoming years will spread out and not be up at the grade for every tom, dick, and harry to catch with easy.  The fishing will improve and you will again have those big fish just like before but it's going to take some time, they won't grow overnight.  So, enjoy the other great fishing the lake supports right now, the yellow bass, catfish, and muskie numbers are all very healthy.  If you aren't having success with these, you aren't doing something right.  by the way, go easy on the guides.  I guided part time for about 5 years, it's hard work and you don't make a lot of money.  I admire the guys like Kevan Paul, the guy is pursuing a dream and helping people have fun in the process.  He isn't forcing anyone to pay him and look at his testimonials, they are happy with what they get for their cash.  Keep up the good work Kevan!

THANK YOU MIKE!!!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #992 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Big Mike is right about all them big eyes at the grade. I saw some monster walleye heads laying in the weeds just west of the grade in that gravel parking lot after they filleted them out.

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #993 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:09 PM »
yeah i wasnt trying to ruffle anyones feathers. To each his own. Things can get mixed up. Dont get me wrong Yellows are very fun to catch, but my buddys and i make the drive up there for the walleyes. So lets get back to what guys are catchin on the ice Aye? Yellows, Gills, crappie, Eyes, perch, Hell even CARP LOL. anything.

Nail Em'

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #994 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:39 AM »
headed that way today ganna hit the around noon maybe a little later any good spots a guy could try for some yellows or maybe a eye. caught 3 yellows my whole life and all were at clear lake i only get to fish there a couple times a year. any info greatly appreciated and not real familiar with the lake but i have gps and all the goodies just lookin for a good time and a new friend to bs with ill be in the team wild otter and will be off by myself more than likely thanks 
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #995 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:38 AM »
Clear Lake is down but not as bad as others say.  two years ago I caught 10 walleye over 28" in one week with numerous other 2-5 lb fish, of them only one fish was kept by the way.   This was all produced in a lake with no slot limit.  Here is what happened, the inlet at the grade ran continously for two years due to the dredging project all summer long.  Normally it quits flowing in about early to mid June.  This left big walleyes concentrated in a small area, instead of spread throughout the lake for two years straight and very succeptable to overharvest which is what happened.  Regardless of limits, guys were taking home multiple 27-30" fish a day, why the DNR didn't watch it closer I don't know, but my point is that was a temperary problem.  Now that the dredging is over, fish in the upcoming years will spread out and not be up at the grade for every tom, dick, and harry to catch with easy.  The fishing will improve and you will again have those big fish just like before but it's going to take some time, they won't grow overnight.  So, enjoy the other great fishing the lake supports right now, the yellow bass, catfish, and muskie numbers are all very healthy.  If you aren't having success with these, you aren't doing something right.  by the way, go easy on the guides.  I guided part time for about 5 years, it's hard work and you don't make a lot of money.  I admire the guys like Kevan Paul, the guy is pursuing a dream and helping people have fun in the process.  He isn't forcing anyone to pay him and look at his testimonials, they are happy with what they get for their cash.  Keep up the good work Kevan!

I'm OK with the guide service as well even though I have never used one.  Some people want to learn how to fish or don't have all the equipment to have an enjoyable experience when just want to get out on a rare occasion & catch some fish.

But, I'm not sure it's too kosher to use a public forum for advertising for one's business.  That's the first thing I thougt of when I was directed to his guide service site. For some reason, it just puts a bad taste in my mouth but he does provide a service for some. --Melrose
[/b]

Offline southfork

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #996 on: Dec 23, 2010, 09:06 AM »
Does there seem to be a best time of the day that the yellows bite best?  Have had my best luck using swedish pimples and waxworms or minnows at dusk.  Also just a split shot, a bare hook and a minnow on the bottom.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #997 on: Dec 23, 2010, 12:16 PM »
Theyre biting from 3:45-4:45 most nights.  You can pickup a few during the day though.  But theyre pretty tight lipped.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #998 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Nice to meet you tonight crappiebuster. I like what you did with the floor in your shack, never thought of rino coating? if that is what it was.

I did not direct people to the web site to see pics, as a screem just telling the people ?ing me where to see the proof.

Don't know how to post pics on here and don't wish to waste fishing time learning to doing so.

did catch yellows today fishing was good best bite 1-3 pm.

tip: use bluegill techniques to get more bites.

good luck out there.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #999 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Yup a buddy thought of that and it just so happened we had some laying around.  It has worked well.

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1000 on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:16 AM »
was at clear lake today on big lake over by church fished 8fow and nothing went to 5 fow and caught 1 yellow and marked more i just got there to late fished from 3 to 5 sound like i missed the bite just my luck maybe next time bite seemed tough had several come check me out but no takers  :( :(
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1001 on: Dec 24, 2010, 10:03 AM »
Friggin snow!!! Were getting dumped on right now. No wind to blow it off the lake either. It could be slushfest 2010 out there boys.  They said by the time this is said and done 10-12 inches will be on the ground. Hopefully the plow man opens up Farmers again.

Merry Christmas by the way :-\

Offline Northlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1002 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Merry Christmas everyone! Is anyone going to the Brainerd Jaycees $150,000 Ice Fishing Extravaganza? I'm getting geared up and ready to head out on January 22nd.

On another note I haven't been out on the Lake this year, I'm getting the itch to head out....Any action out there?

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1003 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:50 AM »
There is a great number of Yellows up shallow fish 4 to 6 fow.  spikes!

Offline corey2145

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1004 on: Dec 25, 2010, 06:30 PM »
is there any open roads out there to go fishing tomorrow? on farmers or little lake? ???

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1005 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:12 PM »
I dont know about the road situation there was one going out from Farmers before the 10inches of snow we got.  Bring a shovel and keep her punched if you have a good 4x4.  Dont hit one of them dreaded slush pockets though. ;D
Good Luck

Offline Northlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1006 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:34 AM »
I talked to the crazy minnow guy yesterday and he said that he plowed a path yesterday on Macintosh and Farmers but we have got snow since then, but he thinks only one person has got stuck since then and he did not have aggressive tires on his vehicle. :)

Offline CL_UCS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1007 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:30 PM »
What were the fish biting tonight? Had wax worms and a some pan fish worms on the hooks earlier this evening. The fish were everywhere on the vexilar around 4 but only had one bite. I was in Farmer's at about 8-9ft of water.

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #1008 on: Dec 27, 2010, 03:36 PM »
I caught 20 yellows in 9 FOW last night on various Gulp versions.  I lost at least that many on the hole and on the way up.  These were really light biters for some reason.  I never really found a pattern that worked consistently and swithced colors and baits often.  Had a few short walleyes as well.  Got one on a Chubby Darter when things got slow.  Marked fish by the thousands.  Ate a batch from earlier in the week and they were awesome.  Lots of slush to deal with.
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1009 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:17 PM »
I caught 20 yellows in 9 FOW last night on various Gulp versions.  I lost at least that many on the hole and on the way up.  These were really light biters for some reason.  I never really found a pattern that worked consistently and swithced colors and baits often.  Had a few short walleyes as well.  Got one on a Chubby Darter when things got slow.  Marked fish by the thousands.  Ate a batch from earlier in the week and they were awesome.  Lots of slush to deal with.

How much snow is on the ice or slush?  Is it drivable or what does a guy need?  Will ATV get stuck?  Just wondering about the lake conditions. Thanks.

Offline iowaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1010 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:12 AM »
was on clear lake yesterday from 2-5:30 what a mess that lake is with all the slush on top(it was my first time out) what can we hope for to make that go away. will the rain they are calling for this week help melt the snow and then make all that water on top ice again or not. but any ways we found fish. my vexilar was lit up like a christmas tree all day. we only ended up catching 4 keeper yellows 2 dink perch, and 2 dink yellows. are those fish i was marking all day more than likely the dinks i caught? it seemed like when i would catch a bigger yellow the vexilar would calm down only marking one or two fish compared to about 10-20 and it would hit alot harder than any thing else. i sure wish i would of had a camera yesterday. oh and i tried any where from 5 to 10 fow marked all kinds of fish in every hole i went to.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1011 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:25 AM »
was on clear lake yesterday from 2-5:30 what a mess that lake is with all the slush on top(it was my first time out) what can we hope for to make that go away. will the rain they are calling for this week help melt the snow and then make all that water on top ice again or not. but any ways we found fish. my vexilar was lit up like a christmas tree all day. we only ended up catching 4 keeper yellows 2 dink perch, and 2 dink yellows. are those fish i was marking all day more than likely the dinks i caught? it seemed like when i would catch a bigger yellow the vexilar would calm down only marking one or two fish compared to about 10-20 and it would hit alot harder than any thing else. i sure wish i would of had a camera yesterday. oh and i tried any where from 5 to 10 fow marked all kinds of fish in every hole i went to.

What I understand from posts above is that you may have been marking schools of dink perch.  I suppose when you got the nice yellows or they were in the area, the larger yellows or commotion may have scattered the small perch school & this could be why your Vex seemed to settle down at times.  Just a presumption.  I am definitely not an expert on Clear like many others on here. I don't get up there as much as I would like but will try now that my boys are a little older now. 3 yr old twin boys & they keep me busy.

How much slush we talking?  Are ATV's able to travel around or is there a good chance of them getting stuck?  Thanks.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1012 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:09 PM »
You can get around with a 4x4 I dont have the most aggressive tires and I didnt have a problem just had weight in the back and brought a shovel I did see a few trucks get stuck though.  I would leave the wheeler at home unless you want a headache.  Didnt run into any slush luckily.  Hopefully that rain melts a good 6 or 8 inches of snow. 

Offline whitetail1001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1013 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:10 PM »
Jus left cl.  Drove a 4x4 ranger with no problems.  No slush either.  Gettin on at macintosh looked like a good place to get stuck so we got on at farmers.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1014 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Thanks guys.  :)

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1015 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Guys where is Farmers? I'm not real familiar with the lake. I've only fished McIntosh. Thanks.

Offline ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1016 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:16 PM »
just wondering how much ice is up there and if fishing on thursday would be a good idea or not?

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #1017 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:43 PM »
MacIntosh is defin itely sloppy, and the landing is nasty.  You can get on and off with a 4wd, but I just drag my sled.  As far as all the marks on the vexilar, I think a lot of them are fingerling Walleyes, as I tend to get one once in a while when the screen is lit up and I jig aggressively.  Guys with cameras should have the best idea.
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1018 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:40 AM »
The ice around Farmers is pushing 14 it kinda turned into a dead sea out there the past few days.  Dead enough to move the house.  Moved to a reef and around 5 o clock the vexilar lights up like a grizzwold family christmas but ya cant catch any of them must be really really small.  Think im going to put down some chubs today and see what happens.  This damp drizzly weather should melt back some snow and make travel easy for all.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1019 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:07 PM »
I spent all day on Clear Lake and what can I say its wet.  2-4" of water on the ice.  It should be better by sunday with the cold front coming in.  We did get 60 Yellows but we worked are butt off for them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.