The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: auger starting problem  (Read 1352 times)

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
auger starting problem
« on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:54 AM »
my tanaka will only start with starting fluid, one squirt, one pull.  it does not matter if its cold outside or warm. its no big deal to have the fluid in the sled but....any ideas. have taken the carb apart, everything looks fine, no gumming, screen is clean etc.  new expensive homedepot gas this weekend, 30 degrees and sunny, still no start without the one squirt, then it idles great, full throttle with no bogging

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: auger starting problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I use my Tanaka/Nils sparingly the last 5 seasons since I got an Ion, but a couple years ago it was hard to start. Took it to a guy who repairs them, he replaced the fuel line and primer bulb and it was good to go. Yours sounds a little different, but thought I'd throw it out there. A little Seafoam wouldn't hurt in case there's a little varnish in there. Best of luck with it.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:23 AM »
I use my Tanaka/Nils sparingly the last 5 seasons since I got an Ion, but a couple years ago it was hard to start. Took it to a guy who repairs them, he replaced the fuel line and primer bulb and it was good to go. Yours sounds a little different, but thought I'd throw it out there. A little Seafoam wouldn't hurt in case there's a little varnish in there. Best of luck with it.

i think they were doing damage to the fuel line at the plant during assembly, mine was no good out of the box and they sent me a new one. when i took the carb apart last year i found the generic numbers on it and found the carb kits really cheap on line. should just do the simple rebuild but it does not make sense to me why it doesnt fire without the starting fluid. got it going this weekend, punched 20 holes, let it sit 20 minutes in the sun, it needed the fluid again to fire

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Maybe a new spark plug. The starter fluid is more combustible than gasoline so a bad plug might ignite it but not gasoline.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Like eiderz mentioned, try a new spark plug or close the gap on the one thats on there now.
Just add water.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Some of the things others have mentioned may solve your problem. But in the meantime be VERY aware that starting fluid in a 2cycle engine spells "early death" as it washes all the lubricant of all moving parts.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:26 AM »
I have two Tanaka's, best move I ever made, until I got the Clam Plate & Milwaukee Fuel drill. Both Tanaka's were hard to start from the beginning. We (BEE, Blueberryman, C. Tripp & I ) modified the carburetors by removing the plastic plug over the idle screw, so we could increase the gas flow. You have to heat a needle & push down on the plug, let it cool for a second, then pull it out & increase the flow. That solved the problem. Apparently they set them at the factory for the warmer Southern states and put the plug in to get us to go to a shop for service, if we have problems ;D That motor is mainly used as a bulb planter.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2018, 10:38 AM »
I have two Tanaka's, best move I ever made, until I got the Clam Plate & Milwaukee Fuel drill. Both Tanaka's were hard to start from the beginning. We (BEE, Blueberryman, C. Tripp & I ) modified the carburetors by removing the plastic plug over the idle screw, so we could increase the gas flow. You have to heat a needle & push down on the plug, let it cool for a second, then pull it out & increase the flow. That solved the problem. Apparently they set them at the factory for the warmer Southern states and put the plug in to get us to go to a shop for service, if we have problems ;D That motor is mainly used as a bulb planter.

been hesitant to do that yet, i remember your post to press a hot finish nail into that section.  this one has been pretty easy to start til middle of last year. going to change the plug as others have mentioned though it still looks fine. if that doesnt work ill do the hot nail trick. should probably buy a clam polate in case they stop making them someday

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:38 AM »

What auger do you  use withthe Milwaukee ?

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:54 AM »
Some of the things others have mentioned may solve your problem. But in the meantime be VERY aware that starting fluid in a 2cycle engine spells "early death" as it washes all the lubricant of all moving parts.

never gave much thought to it, but google says wd40 is a good alternative for a starting fluid with 2strokes. i might try that just to see

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Fill auger tank 1/4 w/proper oil/gas mix to that add Seafoam 2oz or more ...mix ....run auger till warmed up...then kill motor via the choke .....let sit half hour repeat ...let sit over night ...should fix some of the woes .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:27 PM »
What auger do you  use withthe Milwaukee ?

Strike Master 7" or 8".
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2018, 12:29 PM »
been hesitant to do that yet, i remember your post to press a hot finish nail into that section.  this one has been pretty easy to start til middle of last year. going to change the plug as others have mentioned though it still looks fine. if that doesnt work ill do the hot nail trick. should probably buy a clam polate in case they stop making them someday

You better start looking now, they are at a premium.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2018, 05:05 PM »
ethanol is the big problem. If they only knew how much gas had been dumped into the ground they would stop buying the junk Iowa need to grow food not fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2018, 04:48 PM »
ethanol is the big problem. If they only knew how much gas had been dumped into the ground they would stop buying the junk Iowa need to grow food not fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X2 !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.