The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Visting Maine  (Read 4098 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Visting Maine
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2018, 06:15 AM »
Remember back a few years ago when they rewrote the laws to SIMPLIFY them? Wonder how we kept track back when they were complicated?

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:34 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  A couple more questions:

1.  I was unable to locate the rule(s) for immediately killing a fish that is to be kept. If I simply drop it on the ice while it is alive, does that count or do I need to bludgeon it, field dress it, administer last rites before sending it off to old sparky, etc.? 

2.  What is a splake?  I've read the name of this fish many times but have no idea what one is or how to identify it.  I'm not even sure if any are present in any of the lakes where I intend to fish but I thought I'd ask so that I don't mistake it for something else.
a splake is a sterile cross between a brook trout and a lake trout. good eating!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  A couple more questions:

1.  I was unable to locate the rule(s) for immediately killing a fish that is to be kept. If I simply drop it on the ice while it is alive, does that count or do I need to bludgeon it, field dress it, administer last rites before sending it off to old sparky, etc.? 

Under general rule:
Bag Limit (All Fish): Any fish, except bait fish and smelts, taken from inland waters shall be immediately released alive into the water from which it was taken, or killed at once. Any fish killed becomes part of the daily bag limit (Title 12, §12611).

I personally bludgeon/stab the fish directly in the brain, in the warmer months I always bleed my fish too, but it doesn’t always work when things are freezing. The quick stun/kill is more humane and prevents the buildup of acids in the mussels from the stress. Not that we are making sushi with freshwater fish, but still applies.
http://sushieveryday.com/why-bleeding-fish-important/

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:11 AM »
Just wanted to say thank you once more to everyone who took the time to reply to my post, provide me with information, send me PMs and give me a good laugh over Maine's regulations.  I am very grateful to all of you.  Since so many took the time to help me, I thought I'd reply to a few of the highlights:

-Joefishmore: I am very familiar with Fort Dix.  My younger brother was stationed at Fort Maguire (AFB) about ten years ago.  I believe Dix and Maguire are located on the same property even though they are for different military branches.  I am also familiar with New Hope.  It's about 15 miles from my home and has a great little playhouse theater where my grandfather performed 50+ years ago.

-To everyone that posted about lead weights and S-regulations - THANK YOU!  I'd probably have unwittingly donated a few hundred dollars to the MDIFW if a warden paid me a visit.

-I shared the comments and tips with my son and he was familiar with the Old Town Trading Post bait shop.  He has been there before and echoed your sentiments about their great selection of bait and gear.  We are definitely stopping there before we get on the ice.

-I think I finally have a good understanding of the Maine fishing regulations.  I'll be sure to take a copy with me along with a scanned copy of the Rosetta Stone just in case I get confused.

-While I found some of the laws a bit confusing and, at times, intimidating, I certainly understand why the state and its outdoor enthusiasts have these rules.  Clearly you all have a great love and respect for your state and its wildlife and are passionate about protecting and preserving them for years to come.  I respect that.  I will respect everything I see and touch as if it were my own home.

-JDK: If you happen to see some guy sprinting across the ice with a jigging pole in one hand, a half-eaten brat in the other, being chased by a warden and screaming at the top of his lungs, "YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!!!", that's probably me trying to escape an S-67 violation. 

-If I do decide to keep any fish, I will kill them immediately and humanely.  I'm a Catholic of Italian descent so I'll be sure to administer last rites but I think I may need to come up with a plan B for the dispatch work since my nationality's patented cement shoe technique may be less than effecitve on fish.  Plus, I'd be willing to bet there is some S-code prohibiting the use of cement footwear on inland waters...

-Based on the information everyone provided, I think I have a very good game plan for targeting some of these species I've never caught.  Of course, if I manage to ice any, it will be because of my superior skill.  If I don't, I'll probably just blame everyone who posted  ;D

Lastly, I want to express my sincere gratitude to my fellow fishermen and Ice Shanty community.  This trip is realy important to me and I genuinely appreciate each one of you taking your time to help make it a successful one. Of course, even if I never get a bite or put a fish on the ice, my trip will be a success as long as I get to spend some time with my favorite fishing partner doing something we both love.

If ever I can help return the favor, please let me know. I would be honored. 

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:54 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you once more to everyone who took the time to reply to my post, provide me with information, send me PMs and give me a good laugh over Maine's regulations.  I am very grateful to all of you.  Since so many took the time to help me, I thought I'd reply to a few of the highlights:

Classy post and wish you the best on your upcoming trip.  Thank us by having a great time with your son and enjoying what our State has to offer. 

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:29 PM »
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Just wanted to send a quick post-trip thank you to everyone who helped make my trip to Maine this past weekend a wonderful success.  My sister, son and I spent two days fishing Upper Cold Stream ponds (the smaller one).  As far as I could tell, we out-fished everyone in sight on that lake.  We landed three and a half fish.  I think I saw one other person get one.  The fishing conditions were very tough those two days.  We did not find any togue or landlocked salmon but we did land a couple of brook trout, a four inch smelt and the biggest white perch I've ever laid eyes on (over 2lbs).  We missed a few other bites as well but that is ice fishing for you..

For those of you that mentioned smelt for bait - THANK YOU!  every bite we had the entire weekend came on a smelt - even the brookies.  They wouldn't tpuch anything else... except for the 4 inch smelt that hit a jigging spoon just larger than himself.  Also, while we were out, we had a close encounter with an eagle that buzzed us about 50 feet away looking for leftovers and unattended fish.   

Although the fishing was tough, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of our trip.  I am already planning a return trip to Maine next year for another round of ice fishing.  Again, I thank everyone that posted replies to my (many) questions.  If I can ever figure out how to use the new picture posting site, I will post a picture of the white perch and brookies. 

Have a great weekend!

Butcher

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:38 PM »
OH NO!!!  Looks like you broke S67  Be careful what you write. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sounds like a nice weekend.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.