The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Visting Maine  (Read 4085 times)

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Visting Maine
« on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:45 AM »
Good morning fellow ice fishermen!  I am making a 500+ mile trip from Bucks County, PA (near Trenton, NJ) the weekend of February 24th to do some ice fishing with my son who is attending the University of Maine (Orono).  I have a cabin rented for the weekend in Lincoln (near Enfield and Howland) on Upper Cold Stream Ponds - a mile or so northwest of Cold Stream Pond.  I have lots of experience ice fishing but I have never ice fished in Maine.  I really want to make this a great weekend for us so I was hoping to get some basic info on the rules as well as some tips for fishing in the area:

1.  Are treble hooks permitted on tip ups or is it single hooks only?
2.  Are quick strike rigs permitted for larger baits (a rig with two sets of treble hooks on a single bait)?
3.  Is there a bait shop near Lincoln?  If not, is there one somewhere between Orono and Lincoln where I can stop to get bait?
4.  I believe the lake(s) I will be fishing on Saturday have lake trout and landlocked salmon.  I have never caught or fished for these species.  Any tips for setups, locations, baits, rigs or techniques you can offer?
5.  I may try Pushaw lake on Sunday for pike.  Any tips for fishing that lake?
6.  Can I use dead baits for pike on Pushaw?  Any restrictions or special regs?
7.  Anything else I should know about ice fishing in Maine?

I apologize for all of the questions but I am really looking forward to this trip with my son and want to make sure we have fun and are following the rules.  I'm not necessarily looking for any secret spots or techniques, just some basic information to help me find some fish.  Of course, if you feel compelled to share some secrets, I certainly won't complain...   ;D

Thanks in advance!  If there is any way I can return the favor, please ask.

Butcher

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Visting Maine
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Don't know anything about Enfield are but I visited New Hope many times when I was stationed at Fort Dix.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I'm out of state as well, there are some regulations in Maine which are very different from CT and PA. I've been fishing ME for 50 years and every year I review the regulations http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing-boating/fishing/laws-rules/index.html, especially the S-codes and the lake specific rules. One thing you'll definitely need is non-tox sinkers for your tipups, lead sinkers/split shot under a specific weight and size are not permitted in ME.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:21 AM »
In Maine every lake has it's own rules. Here is a link to the Maine fishing law book.
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing-boating/fishing/laws-rules/index.html

You need to look up the lakes you want to fish and see what the rules for that lake are as exceptions to the General fishing laws. As a general matter; yes you can use treble hooks, yes quick strike rigs are ok, yes you can use dead bait.  UNLESS the special rules for the lake you are fishing preclude it.  Others may give you specific advice on the lakes you are fishing.

I don't fish Cold Stream, but as a starting place; Lake Trout (or Togue as we know them here) are often caught on or near bottom with dead suckers or larger live bait.  For Salmon try just under the ice in 20 to 40 FOW with smelt or medium sized shiners.  Lots of exceptions to this advice, it is meant to get you started. Good luck and enjoy your time with your son. 

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Butcher - I have to echo lynng's sentiments, I think you'll find some excellent advice within that post.  If the body of water you are fishing has smelt (species can be confirmed through quick Google search), I would use those over shiners - more expensive, but in my experience the results will be worth it.  Unsure if you've used smelt as bait previously but add some lake water to your bait bucket once you drill your first hole to acclimate them - otherwise, you may shock them and end up replacing a number of bait prematurely.  If you have bait remaining after you are done fishing, they cannot be dumped into the lake/pond.

I'd also emphasize the fluctuating rules per body of water.

You're likely aware but if using the same traps for your salmon pursuit as your pike outing change your leader.  6 feet of 6 lb test will likely be fine if you play it; others may feel more comfortable with 8lb but I prefer lighter to allow the bait to look as unencumbered as possible. 

For salmon, bait JUST UNDER THE ICE.  If you're not getting hit, I'd fluctuate the depth on a few of your traps to see if that sparks action.

If while fishing for salmon, you get a flag and reel is not spinning give it time.   If you see a slow turn then pause, slow turn then pause, resist the urge to set.  Allow it a good run - otherwise, you may pull the bait before it has truly taken it.  Hook set with a quick wrist snap - no need to set too hard.

Outside of that, I'd just emphasize respecting the environment with a take in/take out approach.  Based upon the respectful nature of your post I wouldn't expect that to be a concern - just something I mention when asked.

Lastly, have a GREAT time.  My father ranks among my best fishing buddies.  Awesome you are making the trip and creating some fantastic memories which I'm sure both of you will cherish for years to come.  I hope it is productive for you.

Offline Trouthead222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Butcher, I have a camp in Lincoln and fish Cold Stream Pond during open water season. There is very good info in the previous posts here, I would just add that live bait is not permitted on Cold Stream Pond, dead or artificial only and if you want to target Brookies set your tip ups in shallow water near the shore and then move away from the holes. Good luck.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Umm better check your laws again  ???

Offline Trouthead222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:48 AM »
I stand corrected, you can use live bait on CSP if you caught it in CSP.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:18 AM »
I stand corrected, you can use live bait on CSP if you caught it in CSP.

Sorry, but this is not quite right either. I think the provision you are citing is " The holding of any live baitfish not taken in Cold Stream Pond is prohibited.".  Many lakes have this provision. It refers to storing live bait in the lake (usually by bait dealers) in live wells, bait boxes, etc.  You can use live bait caught elsewhere. You just can't store it in the lake.  Here are a couple of threads that discuss this rule:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=343580.msg3650701#msg3650701

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=337692.msg3580330#msg3580330

Offline Trouthead222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Sorry, but this is not quite right either. I think the provision you are citing is " The holding of any live baitfish not taken in Cold Stream Pond is prohibited.".  Many lakes have this provision. It refers to storing live bait in the lake (usually by bait dealers) in live wells, bait boxes, etc.  You can use live bait caught elsewhere. You just can't store it in the lake.  Here are a couple of threads that discuss this rule:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=343580.msg3650701#msg3650701

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=337692.msg3580330#msg3580330
Thank you for clearing this up for me, I just wish you did it years ago. was I right about fishing shallow for Brookies, lol.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Good Morning All,

Thank you all so very much for your responses including the PMs I received.  I can't thank you enough. 

After reading all of the comments and the corresponding regulations, I have a few additional questions/comments.  I am planning to fish Upper Cold Stream Ponds (not Cold Stream Pond).  The regulations I found on the MDIFW site indicate both have special regulations as follows:

COLD STREAM PONDS, UPPER, Lincoln (South Region). General fishing laws apply, except: S-3, S-13, S-22, S-25. From October 1 - December 31: ALO, S-7.

As I read it, the following special rules do not apply:

S-3: Direct tributaries closed to the taking of smelts.
S-13: No size or bag limit on bass.
S-22: Daily bag limit on landlocked salmon: 1 fish.
S-25: Daily bag limit on togue: 1 fish.

From October 1 to December 31:

ALO: Artificial lures only.
S-7: All trout, landlocked salmon, and togue caught must be released alive at once.

To summarize and clarify, I can keep smelt (which I don't plan to target).  All trout, salmon and togue (lake trout?) must be released and live bait is not permitted while I am fishing.  Dead bait and artificial baits only.

So here are my follow up questions:

1.  I was unable to locate the definition of "live bait".  Does live bait mean minnows and live fish only or does it also include worms and insect larvae (waxworms, mealworms, butter worms, etc.)?
2.  If I am using tip ups on a body of water that prohibits live bait, what should I use for bait?  Will it work well or would I be better off looking for a lake that allows live bait?
3.  Lead sinkers 1oz and under are prohibited unless as a jig head.  When I am setting up my tip ups, I use a lead depth marker clip (sounder) to set my lines.  Obviously, this doesn't stay attached to the lines once they are set.  Can I use this in Maine or do I need to use a diffent, non-lead device to set my lines?
4.  Since it is illegal to dump unused live bait, what do you do with your leftover live bait (assuming you are not going to use it later)?

Again, sorry for all of the questions but I want to make sure I understand the rules and am following them.  Once more, thanks in advance for your help!   

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:00 AM »
You can use live bait there as of Jan 1 !!!

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:03 AM »
And it's not catch and release only ... The laws are for early season between oct and Dec ..

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Within a few miles of UMaine in Orono you can buy good bait at a place called Old Town Trading Post. 

For targeting salmon I'd spend the extra dough on some smelts.

For togue I generally jig with shiners, although a sucker with a quick strike on the bottom may be the ticket.

Pushaw has bass, pickerel and perch and the pike you want to target. In general there are better pike lakes in Maine but I have caught them in Pushaw. If I were targeting pike in Pushaw I'd be more in the northern part of the lake rather than the southern part, and vice versa if I wanted the other species.

Invest in a Maine Atlas and Gazetteer and get your regulation booklet and read it.

There are like a bazillion places to fish in this area and there are a lot of different species with different regs on different water bodies.

Some say the rules and regs are complicated but they just are really specific to individual water bodies because IFAW bios fine tune the rules for each pond or lake to best exploit the resource while offering the protections some water bodies and species require.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:13 AM »
Sorry we cross posted...the S rules do apply.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:56 AM »
It means general law for tackle, except those rules apply. Take the bass out, they’re an invasive species. no smelting in the tribs, only one salmon and lake trout per day.
Doesn’t apply now, but When it says ALO, it means no food items at all, just lures. Some places say no live baitfish but you can use dead bait (must kill them before going on the ice) or worms.
All bait fish, dead or alive, must be on the approved list and not imported from out of state, so no pieces of perch for bait. Any leftover baitfish need to be disposed of if don’t want to take them with you. There’s the trash can, but Most people seem to dump them out on the ice for the birds, or out in the bushes during open water.
Also, keep in mind, any fish you aren’t going to release need to be killed immediately, and you can not possess a gaft on inland waters. Only one baited hook per line unless your fishing for smelt. Treble hook counts as one hook. Not sure about the depth sounder, but if it’s painted it should be fine, plus it’s not on while fishing.

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:35 AM »
I would skip Pushaw. Stick to cold stream for 2 days, or try another lake.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2018, 12:11 PM »
Wow!  Again, I thank all of you for the great responses. 

I think I was reading the rules backwards on Upper Cold Stream.  It seems that each time I read the regs, I think they mean something different than the last reading...  Based on the comments and my umpteenth reading of the regulations, live bait IS OK in February, I may keep 1 salmon and 1 togue each day and size and creel limits DO apply for bass.

My depth marker (sounder) is painted.  I'm guessing it is OK but I'll check with the bait shop when I am there unless someone else thinks otherwise.  It looks like this: https://www.fish307.com/sounder-1-oz/

Another question on SeaMonkey's post - any fish that isn't going to be release must be killed immediately.  In PA, I will often place my fish on a stringer and then hold the fish in a separate hole so they are alive.  This allows me the option to release them later in case I decide not to keep them.  For example, sometimes I am fishing and catch a nice crappie, perch or gill early on but then nothing afterwards that I want to keep.  Rather than keep just one perch or one gill, I'll release it.  If the fish are on a stringer (lip-hooked), they are lively, I can put them back down the hole even many hours later.  Obviously, any fish that is on my stringer is legally sized and there are never more than my daily creel limit on the stringer at any time.  If I kill the fish immediately, then clearly I cannot release it.  Is a stringer OK or must I make the decision to keep/release as soon as I catch the fish?

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Not legal

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:00 PM »

Another question on SeaMonkey's post - any fish that isn't going to be release must be killed immediately.  In PA, I will often place my fish on a stringer and then hold the fish in a separate hole so they are alive.  This allows me the option to release them later in case I decide not to keep them.  For example, sometimes I am fishing and catch a nice crappie, perch or gill early on but then nothing afterwards that I want to keep.  Rather than keep just one perch or one gill, I'll release it.  If the fish are on a stringer (lip-hooked), they are lively, I can put them back down the hole even many hours later.  Obviously, any fish that is on my stringer is legally sized and there are never more than my daily creel limit on the stringer at any time.  If I kill the fish immediately, then clearly I cannot release it.  Is a stringer OK or must I make the decision to keep/release as soon as I catch the fish?

Decision to keep/release the fish must be made immediately upon verifying legal size.  If the fish accidentally dies in your possession, it is considered against your limit.  Live fish on a stringer is not legal.  It may be possible to release but would imagine mortality rate spikes significantly even if it swims initially.  Quality of our salmon fishing would decrease significantly if this were practiced.  Sorry, and hope you understand the why behind it.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  A couple more questions:

1.  I was unable to locate the rule(s) for immediately killing a fish that is to be kept. If I simply drop it on the ice while it is alive, does that count or do I need to bludgeon it, field dress it, administer last rites before sending it off to old sparky, etc.? 

2.  What is a splake?  I've read the name of this fish many times but have no idea what one is or how to identify it.  I'm not even sure if any are present in any of the lakes where I intend to fish but I thought I'd ask so that I don't mistake it for something else. 

Offline JNoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Just crack it on the head and you'll be good.

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:09 PM »
 I'm thinking a good Maine guide would be to your benefit

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:41 PM »
I'm thinking a good Maine guide would be to your benefit

:roflmao:  I was just reading this thread and thinking Butcher might be a lot safer just to take in a UMO hockey game or something. ;D

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:45 PM »
My depth marker (sounder) is painted.  I'm guessing it is OK but I'll check with the bait shop when I am there unless someone else thinks otherwise.  It looks like this: https://www.fish307.com/sounder-1-oz/

This sounder is fine.. It can be lead as long as it is painted or coated in plastic.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:57 PM »
Shouldn't we mention the unpublished S codes also?

S 42- If you are making a trip longer than 483 miles and have a child attending the University of Maine system you can't actually stand on the lake, you have to be above it.
S 42.5  If said student has a GPA less than 2.87  you can't be above ice.

S 57 You can buy bait in Lincoln and use it at Upper Cold Stream Pond only if that bait was caught between 1:14 and 1:19 Saturday.  AM or PM is fine

S 62  Jack Traps, K drills, and Ions are not allowed.

S 64  Hooks are not allowed
S 65  Line is not allowed
S 67 

S67 is the one that trips most everyone up.  BE CAREFUL

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2018, 02:08 PM »
Shouldn't we mention the unpublished S codes also?

S 42- If you are making a trip longer than 483 miles and have a child attending the University of Maine system you can't actually stand on the lake, you have to be above it.
S 42.5  If said student has a GPA less than 2.87  you can't be above ice.

S 57 You can buy bait in Lincoln and use it at Upper Cold Stream Pond only if that bait was caught between 1:14 and 1:19 Saturday.  AM or PM is fine

S 62  Jack Traps, K drills, and Ions are not allowed.

S 64  Hooks are not allowed
S 65  Line is not allowed
S 67 

S67 is the one that trips most everyone up.  BE CAREFUL

That's hysterical!

OK, so let me get this straight...  So as long as I can levitate myself and my gear over the ice -preferably via telekinesis or eco-friendly hovercraft, and my kid is Einstein, and my bait was purchased within a four minute window (excepting daylight savings time and international datelines), in the same zip code as I am fishing (wouldn't want the minnows to get bored or car sick), can drill holes with my mind, and catch fish without the use of hooks or lines but under no circumstances, EVER...     , THEN I have nothing to worry about.  Why didn't you just say that in the first place?  That's much more clear than the actual regs!   ;)

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2018, 02:15 PM »
You just reminded me

S 66  See S 67 if words such as eco-friendly and telekinesis are used.

All in good fun.  Have a good trip ;D
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2018, 02:16 PM »
 ;D   :clap:

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:50 PM »
S13 means take all the bass you want regardless of size. There is no creel or size limit to panfish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.