The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: WG Bait: Am I reading this right???  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
WG Bait: Am I reading this right???
« on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:05 AM »
So, you can’t buy bait on the way up? You need to somehow certify the bait came from there?

"The holding of any live baitfish not taken in West Grand Lake and Pug Lake is prohibited.”

The whole thing:

Grand Lake, West (including Pug Lake), T6 ND BPP, T6 R1 NBPP, Grand Lake Stream Plt. S-1, S-3, S-15. No minimum length on togue. Daily bag limit on togue: 2 fish, only 1 of which may exceed 33 inches. All togue between 23 and 33 inches must be released alive at once. From October 1 – 20: S-6, S-7. From October 21 – January 31: Closed to all fishing. Closed to all fishing within 150 feet of Grand Lake Stream Dam. Open to ice fishing for all fish during February and March only. The holding of any live baitfish not taken in West Grand Lake and Pug Lake is prohibited.

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WG Bait: Am I reading this right???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:15 AM »
I need to check into this further, but I think that provision is added so that bait dealers and / or fishermen don't store their bait in the lake using bait boxes, nets, or even large buckets.
I'll report back when I find out more.

Offline 207browntrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:15 AM »
It mean's you can't hold bait in the lake if it wasn't trapped their.  Not that you can't be in possession of live bait from someplace other then that body of water.  :tipup:

Offline weskeagclouser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:17 AM »
I think what it's saying is that you can't store baitfish in the lake unless they were taken from that body of water. I'd ask a warden to be sure though.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:18 AM »
It mean's you can't hold bait in the lake if it wasn't trapped their.  Not that you can't be in possession of live bait from someplace other then that body of water.  :tipup:

I think that is correct.
There are many other lakes in Maine with the same provision, like Rangeley Lake.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:22 AM »
Thanks you guys. Makes sense. Could be a little more clear in the rules though.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:46 AM »
I think that is correct.
There are many other lakes in Maine with the same provision, like Rangeley Lake.

from the fishing rule book:
"Live baitfish may not be stored or held in any waters where the use or possession of live fish as bait is prohibited during the entire ice fishing season or the entire open water fishing season."

Rangeley Lake and almost every other lake and pond in that area falls under this rule.

Offline jeepinjeffxj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:15 AM »
I believe it has something to do with a hatchery sourcing water from the lake, most likely worried about spread of dieses and parasites.
a bad day of fishin beats a good day workin!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Makes wonder how you folks keep up with all the rules for cold water fish.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2017, 11:17 AM »
Makes wonder how you folks keep up with all the rules for cold water fish.

If you don't keep up bee, you end up not knowing and a possible ticket.
I'm on the email list for all new MIF&W legislation. That way I can keep up with what's new for fishing and hunting regs. It also allows me to go and testify either for or against any legislation that interests me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.