The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Please help  (Read 4920 times)

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Please help
« on: Mar 19, 2005, 01:05 PM »
Can someone please steer me in the right direction? I will be visiting wayne county (detroit) in mid April. I would like to get into some walleye. Can someone please give me some advice,(location, bait,lure,time). I am from southern NY  state and the walleye fishing is horrendous. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Please help
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2005, 07:17 PM »
cbyzerman :  Our other Moderator FullTimeDad lives in Detroit and fishes Eyes in that area, he should be on before too long and give you some tips. Thats his baliwick.
Good Luck

Mike

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2005, 11:32 PM »
April is a great time for eyes on the Detroit River and Trenton Channel.We always put the boat in at the Metro Park on Jefferson and got bait across the road at Bottom Line Tackle.We start up past the power plant and drift through the pack trying to match boat speed with the current so we can jig as vertical as possible.We use jigs in various colors and weights,usually 1/2 to 1 oz. depending on current speed and depth tipped with large shinner or 4' brown plastic worms.Even if I'm fishing with live bait I still use a rubber twister type body for bulk.One thing I would suggest is to use stinger hooks also,have plenty of jigs cause there are a lot of hang ups in the river.As far as the lures go most hand line and use pencil plugs,I don't fish that way but I'm sure FTD can help ya on that one and give you better info on ways to fish the River than I can.Hope this helps and remember there is a lot of places to fish the River other that the lower end................... .......Gary

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2005, 10:19 AM »
Thanks for all the information. But what if you have to fish from shore?

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2005, 10:57 AM »
I think that there is a public fishing pier some where in that area but you'll have to ask FTD about that.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:42 AM »
PM sent
FTD

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2005, 04:57 PM »
PM sent
FTD
FulltimeDad what exactly does that mean

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:20 PM »
cbyzerman :

That means that he sent you a personal message,
You shaould see something similar to this above the forum listings, you need to be logged in to see this.

Hey, cbyzerman , you have 0messages, 0 is new.
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts

clik on the word messages and it should show your private messages
any more problems just leave another post and I'll try to help you out

Mike

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:25 AM »
Can someone please steer me in the right direction? I will be visiting Wayne county (Detroit) in mid April. I would like to get into some walleye. Can someone please give me some advice,(location, bait,lure,time). I am from southern NY  state and the walleye fishing is horrendous. Any help would be appreciated.
Locations: Detroit river...you can catch walleye anywhere but your best bet from a boat would be either the warm water outlet at the Edison stacks or the outlet at the steel mill in Wyandotte. We also do very well drifting along Grass island, in front of the 500 club, along the BASF wall and the inlet along the Canadian border. Here's a link to a map of the river with some of the hot spots marked:
http://www.wbramp.com/images/River%20Map.jpg
If you are fishing from shore your best bet would be the fishing pier in Wyandotte along Biddle Rd. you can get minnows, jigs and the latest advice at the Wyandotte boat ramp, the pier is 5 minutes from there. (Just watch your speed along Biddle (25 mph), the local police hand out a lot of speeding tickets along that stretch).

Lure/Bait: 1/2 to 3/4 ounce jigs florescent orange, chartreuse, white, yellow anything bright seems to work. Tip your jig with a medium sized minnow and a stinger hook to catch the short biters.

Time of day: During the spring walleye run the time of day doesn't seem to matter as much. Just get out and fish.

Tackle: We use 6 to 7 foot medium action spinning rods with a sensitive tip and 6 to 8 pound test line

It seems like there is always someone looking for a fishing partner on their boat especially during the walleye run. If you want to fish from a boat, just hang out at the ramp for a bit. The owners (Steve and Kathy Lyell) will be happy to help you. They will also answer any questions you have. They supply a lot of the bait for the guides working the river so they have the best first hand information. Be sure that when you call or email them you tell them that Rick sent you.
Good Luck....see you there
FTD

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:30 AM »
More information will be posted at:

http://www.myfishfinder.com/   

See you there
FTD

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:23 AM »
FULLTIMEDAD
Thanks for all the information You have been a great help. I will let you know how I did.

Talk to you later

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2005, 04:51 PM »
Fulltimedad-

What method would work better from shore? A slip bobber with a four inch minnow using a trebil hook or Fishing right on the bottom with a four foot liter and heavey barrel sinker with a four inch minnow and trebil hook?

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2005, 09:56 AM »
PM sent.
FTD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.