The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The outside looking in  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
The outside looking in
« on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Over the last couple of days I have been planning my first ever fishing trip up into Minnesota. I just wanted to tell you guys how envious I am of your many lakes in the state. I am probably 70 miles from the nearest lake where I live. If my wife ever gets tired of me and boots me out, I am bringing my fishing gear and remedial work skills to Minnesota. I don't care if I have to flip burgers and shine shoes to make ends meet.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The outside looking in
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2012, 01:10 AM »
where are you headed in our great state ?
Hard Ice

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2012, 07:34 AM »
Over the last couple of days I have been planning my first ever fishing trip up into Minnesota. I just wanted to tell you guys how envious I am of your many lakes in the state. I am probably 70 miles from the nearest lake where I live. If my wife ever gets tired of me and boots me out, I am bringing my fishing gear and remedial work skills to Minnesota. I don't care if I have to flip burgers and shine shoes to make ends meet.

We are not all so spoiled.  I have a solid 45 minute drive to get to any type of decent lake.  There are a few man made lakes in the Rochester area, but to get to anything decent I have to go to the Miss. River, or over to Faribault.  Both take 45 minutes to an hour to drive.  Heck, I work in a county without a lake!

That being said, I know we are still better off than many places.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:02 AM »
where are you headed in our great state ?

My son and I will be going to Cass Lake, staying at the Sah Kah Tay resort. I have no idea how good they are, but for the price I am more than willing to give them a try.

Offline nute7810

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • OFFICIAL LURKER.....of the Bikini Ice Fishing Team
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:19 AM »

X 2 !

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I'm hoping to early retire in less then 2 years. I have a buddy that lives in Bemidji who really wants me to head that way. They already told me I could stay in there basement til I can find a place of my own. I to will need to find a part-time job to have some extra play money. Hopefully things work out.  :thumbsup:

boxcar

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2012, 03:24 PM »
 If my wife wasn't such a pansy when it comes to cold weather......  :-\

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2012, 03:50 PM »
I work outside everyday trimming and removing trees. It will be a joy not having to work in the cold, but to only play.  ;D

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:29 PM »
Cass is a great lake. It is linked by the Mississippi to Andrusia and Wolf. I have stayed on Andrusia a few times at Finn and Feather, Joe's Lodge, and Morningstar Resort.

Bemidji is close by for dining, shopping and supplies. I forget the name of the pizza joint we at at in Cass but it was fabulous.

You are pretty close to Lake Itaska. The headwaters of the Mississippi.

Good Luck.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Great info, thanks!!

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Yes from the inside ....Life is Good ! 10,000 reasons to come up to the lakes area and enjoy.
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:01 PM »
We are not all so spoiled.  I have a solid 45 minute drive to get to any type of decent lake.  There are a few man made lakes in the Rochester area, but to get to anything decent I have to go to the Miss. River, or over to Faribault.  Both take 45 minutes to an hour to drive.  Heck, I work in a county without a lake!

That being said, I know we are still better off than many places.

There is the Zumbro. i know its not the best lake in the world, and i have a hard time fishing it but its close.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.