Author Topic: Bucktails  (Read 12715 times)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Bucktails
« Reply #60 on: Dec 14, 2020, 03:12 PM »
Preach on George! It’s all BS
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 14, 2020, 03:28 PM »
I've been more of a reader, and not a contributor, going to try and change that this year.

The loon talk pushes one of my buttons though.  When this first came out I wrote letters to all my representatives.  Stated that I was not a Loon expert, but by looking at the charts and data presented on the Loon webpages that we were actually in a population boon.  The graphs showed that we went from roughly 100 pairs (or loons I can't remember) to over 500, in some period of time.  I think I also used some other data points as arguments.

Well that web page was removed from the Loon site.  Gone.  It's like the page never existed, one of the legislators must have brought it up.

This year I went to look for some statistics and on this page, https://loon.org/loons-and-lead/. I see this.
 "Loons may also swallow lead tackle from the lake bottom along with the pebbles they ingest to help grind up and digest food; however, LPC’s data suggests that this is less common. "

Wasn't it the lead from split shot that we were told was the main killer and that's why split shot needed to go?  I am all for not killing loons, but I want decisions made on facts, not emotion.

Now I also researched how much an average Loon eats in a day.  2 lb of fish.  So that's 60 pounds a month, 5-6 months (jun-oct) 300-360 pounds per Loon per season.  On Conway Lake we have 6+ Loons.  Thats just about a ton of fish consumed per season.  How many tons are regenerated every year?

Preach on! I also don't want to see loons or any bird hurt but facts are facts. It is totally an emotion led decision in my opinion.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 14, 2020, 03:48 PM »
George....How's the ice fishing on Conway. I live in North Conway and have never fished it through the ice due to access issues.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Dec 14, 2020, 04:20 PM »
Preach on! I also don't want to see loons or any bird hurt but facts are facts. It is totally an emotion led decision in my opinion.

Exactly

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:14 PM »
As for ice fishing on Conway Lake.  I only ice fish it 3 or 4 times a year.  One drawback it is a two trap lake.

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to targeting/success with Rainbows.  I have caught a couple, but not consistent.  I have caught a few big bass.

Just bought an Eskimo Pistol last year, amazed at how good it is, might convince me to snowmobile a little less and fish a little more this year.
Although I didn't snowmobile much last year either.

Digs, I have access via a shared beach, but I can't grant that access to others.  Although I could invite you out next time I'm up and planing on fishing.

George

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 14, 2020, 08:35 PM »
As for ice fishing on Conway Lake.  I only ice fish it 3 or 4 times a year.  One drawback it is a two trap lake.

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to targeting/success with Rainbows.  I have caught a couple, but not consistent.  I have caught a few big bass.

Just bought an Eskimo Pistol last year, amazed at how good it is, might convince me to snowmobile a little less and fish a little more this year.
Although I didn't snowmobile much last year either.

Digs, I have access via a shared beach, but I can't grant that access to others.  Although I could invite you out next time I'm up and planing on fishing.

George

Let me know.... That would be pretty cool. I'm on silver daily chasing Lakers you are more than welcomed to join.

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:08 PM »
Hi All:

I like to tie my own bucktails and over the past couple of years gotten pretty good at it. Had lots of success catching Lakers on Winnisquam. Now several of my buddies ask me to tie some for them. The challenge is not finding the material but buying Jig Heads that are ready to use and do not need painting etc. I will modify the heads sometimes by adding eyes but that's about it.

Any suggestions on where I can buy good quality Laker Jig heads online that are already painted. I have bought some at BPro, Walmart, Dicks, KTP etc but un-impressed with the quality and color selection.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:12 PM »
Mold your own and paint them. Making and painting jigs is easy, then there's a never-ending supply of what you want. Powder paints are easy to apply and very durable, way better than anything you can buy.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Mold your own and paint them. Making and painting jigs is easy, then there's a never-ending supply of what you want. Powder paints are easy to apply and very durable, way better than anything you can buy.

Do you know where I can find a mold for 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz jig heads? 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:27 PM »

I am convinced the the wild loons in the Northeast act very differently than the typical Minnesota wild loons.

Our loons avoid people, canoes, and boats. They would never hang around a fisherman in hopes of scamming his minnows or catch. They keep too much distance between themselves and humans. I have heard of a couple rare cases when a loon attempted to grab a the fish off a neglected stringer, bot these incidents are accidents and not premeditated theft.

Oddly, they are now attempting to reintroduce loons to some populated lakes in southern Minnesota. This is a fiasco!

Because these lakes are so populated the homeowners have started feeding the "cute loons." Now these tamed loons come swimming up to the docks and boats looking for a handout. These loons exhibit the frustrating behaviors that you in the Northeast have described on this thread.

My take-a-way is that tamed loons can be just as frustrating (but maybe not as dangerous) as tamed bears some idiots feed.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Worked on winni today, saw at least 10. I think they’ll be ok lol.

Back to finding the Bucktail sizes.

Offline Jringo001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:44 PM »
Perhaps when I retire and have more time on my hands. For now buying some is easier for me and I can crank them out in about 10 minutes or so. I've always liked the idea of making my own lures but time is of the essence.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Do you know where I can find a mold for 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz jig heads?

Barlows tackle has some.
https://barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Style-H-Jig-Molds-P246/

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #73 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:55 PM »
I am convinced the the wild loons in the Northeast act very differently than the typical Minnesota wild loons.

Our loons avoid people, canoes, and boats. They would never hang around a fisherman in hopes of scamming his minnows or catch. They keep too much distance between themselves and humans. I have heard of a couple rare cases when a loon attempted to grab a the fish off a neglected stringer, bot these incidents are accidents and not premeditated theft.

Oddly, they are now attempting to reintroduce loons to some populated lakes in southern Minnesota. This is a fiasco!

Because these lakes are so populated the homeowners have started feeding the "cute loons." Now these tamed loons come swimming up to the docks and boats looking for a handout. These loons exhibit the frustrating behaviors that you in the Northeast have described on this thread.

My take-a-way is that tamed loons can be just as frustrating (but maybe not as dangerous) as tamed bears some idiots feed.

In New Hampshire, they often get within 10 feet of your boat, especially on more populated lakes with more kayakers and water skiers. They're smart enough to know that you won't shoot them, so they aren't really that afraid of people in southern New England. In southern Maine, we had one come up about 2 feet behind the electric motor on the canoe once and scream. That was quite the wake-up call.
Where I've been in more northern areas in Maine, they aren't as likely to come closer. You'll need binoculars to get a good look at them when you're more north in New England.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 22, 2020, 02:58 PM »
In New Hampshire, they often get within 10 feet of your boat, especially on more populated lakes with more kayakers and water skiers. They're smart enough to know that you won't shoot them, so they aren't really that afraid of people in southern New England. In southern Maine, we had one come up about 2 feet behind the electric motor on the canoe once and scream. That was quite the wake-up call.
Where I've been in more northern areas in Maine, they aren't as likely to come closer. You'll need binoculars to get a good look at them when you're more north in New England.

That is tragic because in their wild state, they are both visually beautiful, but their calls and cries are an amazing addition to the mist on a quiet lake. Once "tamed" they become a large, powerful and dangerous pest. It should be illegal to interact with them, in my HUMBLE opinion.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:06 PM »
There are multiple times per year that I have to stop fishing because I am afraid of catching a loon.

I used to think, that means I'm fishing in the right place.  Now I'm starting to think that they are eating "MY" fish.

We have seen Loons on multiple occasions choking down/eating fish that are over 1lb+ in my cove this past summer.  They are no longer "cute" to me. 

But I will say, seeing 3-4 of them swim around/under your boat in clear water is pretty amazing.

George

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:27 PM »
But I will say, seeing 3-4 of them swim around/under your boat in clear water is pretty amazing.

George

Sounds too tame to me if a group of them are all over your boat. I think that is the real problem.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:31 PM »
Should see the giant Tool Boxes that drive around in boats behind them on Pine River Pond like a convoy trying to alert swimmers there is a Loon with chicks within 3 miles. It’s unreal. Imagine buying a year round home on PRP and driving up each weekend to idle behind what is now a seagull on top of a McDonalds here now

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:36 PM »
Should see the giant Tool Boxes that drive around in boats behind them on Pine River Pond like a convoy trying to alert swimmers there is a Loon with chicks within 3 miles. It’s unreal. Imagine buying a year round home on PRP and driving up each weekend to idle behind what is now a seagull on top of a McDonalds here now

Sounds messed up.  Something like feeding bear cubs...  Brings to mind Yellowstone's "tame" Buffalo that end up killing people..
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:40 PM »
I get them from leadfreebassjigs.com

Thanks again digs. I ordered three different heads from them and all seem to be good quality. I can wait to try the glow heads on a buck tail for burbs!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #80 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:43 PM »
Sounds messed up.  Something like feeding bear cubs...  Brings to mind Yellowstone's "tame" Buffalo that end up killing people..

Absolutely

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Dec 22, 2020, 04:03 PM »
I’ve hooked up with one. Not cool at all.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Dec 22, 2020, 04:05 PM »

Did you take her to dinner first?

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 22, 2020, 04:11 PM »
Did you take her to dinner first?
Hee hee heee, I knew the second I hit the button to post that I was gonna hear something outta you about birds and bestiality.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Dec 22, 2020, 04:16 PM »
Oh Johnny, bless your heart

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 22, 2020, 04:33 PM »

What happened?  Did you cut the line?  The beaks are very sharp and dangerous.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 22, 2020, 04:43 PM »
Not so much after you wring their neck.  ;D

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Dec 22, 2020, 05:08 PM »
Not so much after you wring their neck.  ;D
HAHAHA!

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 22, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Must be something with me and birds. I hooked into a Big pelican off the keys once too. That was even worse. That thing got airborne. Like a crippled B52

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Dec 22, 2020, 05:13 PM »
Do you know hard it is to find a vintage, original, #61 Sutton spoon in silver/copper?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.