Author Topic: polar tip ups  (Read 2163 times)

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
polar tip ups
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 04:52 PM »
found some on sale for pretty cheap and was wondering if they are worth it? any pros and cons? just wanna buy some traps of my own and the price was right
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: polar tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:08 PM »
found some on sale for pretty cheap and was wondering if they are worth it? any pros and cons? just wanna buy some traps of my own and the price was right
I've had a few but always return to the good ole wooden tip-ups for visibilty, durability and longevity. Some like them, others don't. There's only one way to find out for sure ;) Personally, I would wait a few more weeks when the "reel" deels start appearing :)

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:12 PM »
i like my dads big green tip ups. see them from a mile away.. i didnt end up buying them and expect to go to dicks and find some deals on the big wooden lake traps at the end of the month. thanks!   :tipup:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:13 PM »
They have pros and cons.  Lower visibility is a problem if you cover ground, or are in deep snow.  The pro os the mechanism releases very smoothly and can allow you to pull the line out better without alerting the fish as to your presents.  I use both and think it is a good tool to have in you bag.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:15 PM »
i like the fact that there are little handles on the spool to real the line back up.. my dads traps dont have those. its the little things that make a big difference

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:16 PM »

I have bought just about every kind of tip-up that has been made, for the most part they are all pretty much the same. they will be fine for the type of fishing that it appears you do (small pond fishing). I would suggest if that is all you can afford then buy them. Keep in mind however if you are on a two trap lake you should invest in a tip-up that will hold a lot of line. I personally do not like the polar tip-ups, because of the low profile, but they are a good trap non theless. I would say if the cost of the traps that you are looking at are only a few dollars cheaper than a forty-up or comparable trap then , buy one or two less of the forty-up or comparable traps and continue using the ones you are currently using until you can afford more of the same.  as far as who makes the best trap that is anybodies guess you will here people say that this trap is the best or this trap is the best, or that trap stinks or that one does. no matter what one you get if you treat them properly they all for the most part will work fine. you have to make that decision for yourself. good luck with your quest.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:22 PM »
thanks guys. i might just buy the big lake tipups marks bait has. nice big spool and just a bigger trap all round, made some money shoveling and want to invest in some.. especially with all the snow we just got. had to snowblow paths around the pond! :P

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:24 PM »
thanks guys. i might just buy the big lake tipups marks bait has. nice big spool and just a bigger trap all round, made some money shoveling and want to invest in some.. especially with all the snow we just got. had to snowblow paths around the pond! :P
you can probably get a better deal on-line save your money . no sense letting the money burn a hole in your pocket, be wise and check around first. IMHO.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:26 PM »
marks bait will be last resort for sure.. im sure there will be some online deals coming up in the next few weeks

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:32 PM »
marks bait will be last resort for sure.. im sure there will be some online deals coming up in the next few weeks
There will be deals a plenty in another couple of weeks. Check Craigs List and e-bay. I found 10 traps (spooled and ready to go), 3 scoops, a jig pole, 12 assorted lures, 3 sets of creepers, and a jet sled for $50 last March.

Offline ice malitia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:33 PM »
A lot of people I talk to like to use the for rainbows since they release smooth. I'm not a huge fan due to lack of vis. I run heritage Lakers. Funny story, I was fishing a pond earlier in the year when we had got some snow on 3" of ice. A buddy of mine had a couple brand new, never used, green polar traps. well the water had came up through the hole an his trap was floating in 2" of water. We fished all day w no action on that trap. Round 3 o clock I happen to see an orange spec out the corner of my eye and then it was gone. We headed over to see what was up, only to get there and find the trap gone! Apparently he got something and it made off with the trap. Down the hole it went. I've never had that prob with heritage. Lol

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:36 PM »
i think im ging to find some bigger tipups.. i just want ones with little handles on the spools. it makes it so much easier to  reel back up after a fish runs for a while

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:38 PM »
I prefer the visibility you get from a stick tip up but there is something to be said about the feeling you get seeing the top of a polar style spinning like a helicopter as your getting to it lol.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:40 PM »
I prefer the visibility you get from a stick tip up but there is something to be said about the feeling you get seeing the top of a polar style spinning like a helicopter as your getting to it lol.
or the loud chattering of a 300 yard spool screaming ;D

Offline flagupfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:51 PM »
A lot of people I talk to like to use the for rainbows since they release smooth. I'm not a huge fan due to lack of vis. I run heritage Lakers. Funny story, I was fishing a pond earlier in the year when we had got some snow on 3" of ice. A buddy of mine had a couple brand new, never used, green polar traps. well the water had came up through the hole an his trap was floating in 2" of water. We fished all day w no action on that trap. Round 3 o clock I happen to see an orange spec out the corner of my eye and then it was gone. We headed over to see what was up, only to get there and find the trap gone! Apparently he got something and it made off with the trap. Down the hole it went. I've never had that prob with heritage. Lol

new to ice fishing 3 seasons ago and got started with two polar tip ups.  decided i enjoyed hardwater fishing so much i went out and bought 4 more (6 line limit on your average lake/pond) got dad into it also and he went out and bought 6.  Ive never fished anything else but i have been looking into buying a couple heritage lakers just for salmon/trout lakes.  i did run into the visibility problem with the snow this past weekend.  i found that i just shoveled out a bit larger area around the trap and i was able to see the flag (and only the flag)fine when tripped from a good 150 yards.  I like the polar traps for the price, two trip settings small slit and large for windy days, and price.  I was able to buy 4 traps for about 50 bucks from dicks.  Amazon also has good deals.  as far as your buddy losing his polar through the ice, what size hole did you drill? ??? i use an 8 inch hole and have never had that problem and ive caught pike and perch and everything in between :tipup:

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:54 PM »
I use the thermal traps, which have the same low profile and trip design.  IMHO, they are far superior to the standard polar trap, plus the pro-thermals have extendable flag poles which aren't that study (but replaceable) but nice and tall for when you get far away.  They have a low profile, so mark your holes with a branch nearby...but at least the thermals do not allow the holes to freeze up or get filled in!
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Mricefish20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Iam assuming your taking about the plastic ones they work well I have had 3 in my sled for 15+ years its nice to see reel spinning with out taking it out th hole and have dual trip settings for your perch And your big game fish plastic is very durable but like everyone else said very hard to see in the snow or when it's built up on the ice, the spring for the flag has started to show some rust but doesn't effect performance. I can't see that being a problem not for at least a few more years away... Lastly I think there the only tip ups that the flags haven't needed to be replaced

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:06 PM »
I like them for trout fishing so that's why I don't have a set
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline BHarris830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Have a good friend that only fishes polar traps but I prefer heritage. What he does when snow pack is on the ice is attaches a custom made flag extension. 100% jimmy rigged but it gets the flag into a more visible area and doesn't affect the trap any.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:40 PM »
I tend to take the long view - As I have told my wife for 42 years - you can't have too much equipment! Have a few of almost everything - at some point you'll be glad you had them.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:17 PM »
i think im ging to find some bigger tipups.. i just want ones with little handles on the spools. it makes it so much easier to  reel back up after a fish runs for a while

If all you are looking for is that handle to reel in your line, just get the Frabil stick tip-ups the come in a set of three for $16.99 or cheaper. I have six of them and work great. they are tall enough as well. If that is all you want try them I don't think yopu will be disappointed with them.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:06 PM »
any stores in nashua area selling them? or online only?

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:08 PM »
any stores in nashua area selling them? or online only?
on-line and any frabil dealer should carry them.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:09 PM »
thanks! tight lines man :tipup:

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:10 PM »
For me the whole thrill of ice fishing is to see that tall flag bending back and forth after it just springs. I've found some decent deals on craigs list too so don't count that out. Just don't get the short wooden traps that are very stiff to release.

Offline DovaIceFisha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:13 PM »
for rainbow fishing i absolutely love the polar tipups. Its smooth and you can see it spooling very easily. Even with the 2 feet of snow i had no problem seeing the flag when it was up this weekend. If your targeting any other species it may not be the best for you, but i have atleast 20 of these in my trap bucket.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:15 PM »
im usually catching rather large pickerel 20-25" range and bass between 2-4 pounds so i think im going with the frabill ones perch boy suggested!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:56 AM »
I'll think about some other traps when I wear my Heritage Lakers out. Should be in the market sometime around 2060.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:42 AM »
Been ice fishing for over 40 years -- started using the Polar tip-ups 4 years ago -- now up to 12 Polars, with different set-ups on them -- I think they are excellent all around tip-ups for the many reasons mentioned above -- I can usually pick them up for $11-12 a piece -- won't be disappointed!

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:04 AM »
I might just pick one up to see how I like it. Price is right too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.