Author Topic: Credible In-Fisherman Pike Weight Calculator  (Read 4273 times)

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Credible In-Fisherman Pike Weight Calculator
« on: Mar 09, 2015, 11:09 PM »
Hey gents,

Stumbled on this pike weight calculator in an old In-Fisherman issue I thought I'd share. It's the most credible weight calculator I've ever seen with stats to actually corroborate the info on the weight calculator table.

Dr. Casselman and Dr. Crossman weighed and measured 1200 pike and muskies to come up with this extremely accurate measurement-weight calculator table. It's backed up by official measurements and weights of 1200 fish.

Hope this saves a few pike this winter as this table allows anglers to get a quick tape on a fish and get them back in the water asap and know the fish's weight within seconds just by referring to this table.

Cheers

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Credible In-Fisherman Pike Weight Calculator
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:13 PM »
That calculator is off by a long shot.. Easly overestimates by a minimum of 5lbs or more.. Fish in my avatar is prime example and about a dozen others ive caught..

47 3/4 inches 24 inch girth that calculator is putting the fish around 35lbs, it was actually just about 28lbs

caught a 46 1/2 with 22 inch girth that calc says around 30lbs, it was actually 25lbs

caught a 43 incher with 24 inch girth and well that thing is putting it at 31 lbs, no way ,Granted i didnt have a scale when i caught that one but the fish definately didnt feel 31 lbs, 21 -23lbs most likely...

Ive caught a bunch of 42 inchers with girth of 18 -21 " the only ones that just tipped past 20lbs were the 20-21" girth fish.. According to that they all did and some were 25lbs

NOTE : i used 3 different scales over the years all of them proved this calculator wrong...

3 years ago a freind that works at a butcher shop caught 44 incher with a  22 inch girth, he weighed it on the shop scale within an hour of catching it.. It weight 23lbs 14 oz... I didnt loose 5 lbs in less than an hour

So basically whatever that calculator says take 5lbs off... I dont care how many fish these guys claim they measured out, its wrong 100% of the time..

Either that or every scale ive seen a fish weighed on has been deffective and ive broken 30lbs a few times already..

TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2015, 08:53 PM »
I did forget to mention, that the more you get into fish under 40 inches the calculator get a little more accurate for some reason or another its within a pound or 2..

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:49 PM »
That calculator is off by a long shot.. Easly overestimates by a minimum of 5lbs or more.. Either that or every scale I've seen a fish weighed on has been deffective and ive broken 30lbs a few times already..

Take it easy man, just trying to share an interesting article I read with some fellow fishermen. This was not meant for a pissing match or for an opportunity for you to puff you chest and tell everyone how many big fish you think you've caught, this was meant to help other fishermen.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. We all have a choice to trust 2 biologists who caught, measured, and officially weighed 1200 fish or some guy on a forum who is claiming to have caught a couple decent fish.

Now I'm not claiming that this table is 100% bang on, but if you are going to challenge it, I suggest you have a few more credentials, or even better yet some actual research as these 2 biologists have to corroborate your info other than having caught a couple decent fish over the years, one of which wasn't even weighed.

Hmmmm........tough decision.....I think which one I'll go with.   ;)

I do commend you though on breaking the 30 lb mark "more than a few times". I'm sure everyone is very, very impressed as am I.

Tight lines

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Take it easy man, just trying to share an interesting article I read with some fellow fishermen. This was not meant for a pissing match or for an opportunity for you to puff you chest and tell everyone how many big fish you think you've caught, this was meant to help other fishermen.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. We all have a choice to trust 2 biologists who caught, measured, and officially weighed 1200 fish or some guy on a forum who is claiming to have caught a couple decent fish.

Now I'm not claiming that this table is 100% bang on, but if you are going to challenge it, I suggest you have a few more credentials, or even better yet some actual research as these 2 biologists have to corroborate your info other than having caught a couple decent fish over the years, one of which wasn't even weighed.

Hmmmm........tough decision.....I think which one I'll go with.   ;)

I do commend you though on breaking the 30 lb mark "more than a few times". I'm sure everyone is very, very impressed as am I.

Tight lines
I think you may have taken my post the wrong way, i wasnt downing you for posting the calculator formula, I used to use it, until i found it widely inaccurate..

With that said.. I caught a fish in a local lake derby this year, they took all the measurements of the fish at weigh in, 39 L 18 3/8 G fish weighed in at 15lbs 10oz run that through the calc..

I dont need credentials, Im just going to use a calibrated scale like i always have and humble myself by not using that calculator.. Id love to claim ive caught a half dozen 30lb+ fish  I mean who wouldnt  ? I guess I should claim that I have, because apparently that calculator is gospel..   ::)

I understand your willingness to want to promote quick catch and release,Im all for it trust me, but on the same token im not for HOLY COW I CAUGHT A 30lb PIKE !! when it was actually 20lbs... It just takes away from the guys/gals that pursue and have actually caught those 30lb fish.. Just my personal opinion

An old timer once told me, A tape measure and a scale are the biggest fish story killers out there...

Offline PanFi$her

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2015, 03:50 PM »
Thanks for the post farmboy

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2015, 02:44 PM »
Seems too heavy, in my opinion. Just going against fish that I have personally seen measured and weighed on an accurate scale (scale checked against some olympic weights, 5-30lb)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.