The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Arthur  (Read 29990 times)

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Arthur
« Reply #90 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:43 PM »
Anyone find 6+ inches of ice thickness anywhere? Dad and I are coming up tomorrow morning and he's a little weird about ice fishing..looking for thickest ice we can find
: )

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Hey man:
Was just at Muddy Creek branch, 6-7inches. Heard some spots were 5in. It’s plenty safe.

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:10 PM »
Hey 4x4 and everyone else.... ann geddes would be proud of those pics workin tomorrow but next wknd im fishin

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Tony , that will be my first weekend after my shoulder surgery . I'll have to play it by ear . Not sure what I'll be able/allowed to do .

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 27, 2019, 02:56 PM »
going out first time tomorrow this year just put together eskimo sierra 2 man shanty. anyone have one any tips seems real nice putting up and down in basement.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Best of luck to you treblesandshiners . From what I'm reading , the bite is early and late . You will appreciate a shelter . The wind was about 25 mph this morning during the tournament . Tight lines to you sir .

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:42 PM »
thanks 4x4 good luck to you also

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:23 PM »
I hear ya 4x4 hopeing fer a speedy recovery fer ya ...work or fishin huh now i got an eye appt fer sat am thanks to da wyf so maybe sat afternoon and most of sunday...tight lines

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:13 PM »
So I was fishing during the tournament today from 10am-2pm at Lake Arthur. I have a basic marcum sonar unit. We were tipping swedish pimples with minnows and using wax worms as well. In 4 hours, all we caught were 5 bluegill. We saw guys at the weigh in with buckets full of massive crappie!!! ... I've only been ice fishing for a few years. What am I doing wrong???! Any tips you guys can give me? I'd just like to go out and catch a few nice crappie.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #99 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:46 PM »
most of the big bucket o crabbies fish structure, brush piles, downed trees, old foundations,bridge piers,cribs and channels. once you find structure youll see your catch improve.make friends with the shanty crowd they will steer you to structure hope it helps
GOD BLESS
mo

LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Thanks Tony . I'll give it my best shot .

Mknott , Wal Mart and other  bait shops have Hot Spot maps of most of our local lakes . They show you where structure has been planted around the lakes . Obviously it doesn't include structure that private parties have placed , but it gives you a good start . Tight lines .

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:56 PM »

Could make the tourney due to having to take care of some things in the AM but had a pretty good afternoon on the ice.  Bite was consistent with a 30 minute window at dusk where it was on fire.  Had to work them, and they were picky with what they wanted but once I found it it was game on.  In total iced 49 crappies, a pile of gills, and a small LM.  Kept 20 crappies smallest being 11” biggest 16.5”. Everything else after 20 went back into the drink.    Long term forecast isn’t looking too good for the following week hopefully it’s long. 

Offline copendirt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 27, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Good afternoon at LA only brought home 8 crappie
Nothing under11 inch! The vex lit up at 5 you had to jig really hard than let it sit and they would take it. Be safe ice isn' equal changes quick 6 inch one spot 2 inch 20 feet away

Offline Pastush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Anyone catch anything on tip ups over the weekend?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Anyone catch anything on tip ups over the weekend?
fishing started to wane with the moon,each day caught less and less to sunday being the worst day only fished a couple hours each day cant hang all day any mo. .good news moon is gone for now but front is apon us.only bright spot with the cold temperatures will open up more lake to fish most likely go any where saturday
GOD BLESS
mo

LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Got into a few nice perch and a couple keeper gills tonight. Bite is slowing down for sure and almost shut down after dark.

Perch were full of roe, going to fry it up with some venison tonight. If you have not tried it you are missing out.

Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 28, 2019, 09:13 PM »
End result with some venison steaks.

Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline copendirt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Jan 28, 2019, 10:04 PM »
Man that looks good! I normally salt and dry mine I'll need to try them fresh

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:56 AM »
That looks great Jagger ! Glad to see you got on the fish . I concentrated on the McDaniel launch area last year . I have to broaden my search this season and hit a few of the old productive spots from years ago .

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:57 AM »
Yummy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline RayD2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Simply love fishing any place, any time, any speci
« Reply #110 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:38 AM »
So I'm a first timer on the site. I've been reading up alot just trying to figure out how to set up and get on some fish. This is only my second year trying to ice fish and I'm going to give it a try for only the third time ever and would like to be prepared. Last year I fished by the Mt Zion Church in shallower waters. Looking at the map I see that around an island by McDaniels boat launch get really deep. My question is, do both spots produce and am I at least in the right direction. I like the idea of deep water also. Just didn't know if one was better than the other.

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:08 AM »
So I'm a first timer on the site. I've been reading up alot just trying to figure out how to set up and get on some fish. This is only my second year trying to ice fish and I'm going to give it a try for only the third time ever and would like to be prepared. Last year I fished by the Mt Zion Church in shallower waters. Looking at the map I see that around an island by McDaniels boat launch get really deep. My question is, do both spots produce and am I at least in the right direction. I like the idea of deep water also. Just didn't know if one was better than the other.

Both can produce and be a hit or miss that’s why it’s fishing. What you’re trying to target also depends where you should focus.  Structure is key (weeds, rock, channel, railroad bed, brush, etc)   The church and muddy has more Structure than the deep in my opinion. You can spend along time in the deep abyss and not catch a fish. Don’t be afraid to move around.

Offline Mknott

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 29, 2019, 11:19 AM »
You can't find structure with a flasher can you??? And those hot spot maps aren't extremely accurate

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:34 PM »
You can't find structure with a flasher can you??? And those hot spot maps aren't extremely accurate
you can, its knowing how to read signals it aint easy i admit,the colors show you like dark red with yellow and green mixed in,also as you move from hole to hole depths change etc.bet there are those out there that can iiluminate the subject
GOD BLESS
mo

Offline RayD2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:38 PM »
Sounds about right. I like to Target bigger fish and was hoping for walleye but am willing to Target anything. I'll explore. It what I like to do anyways. Thanks for the info. Does any know if the ice is safe in the deeper partsof the lake by McDaniels. That may make my decision for me.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Good luck on the walleye. It's mostly a good bass lake with some pike mixed in. If your a jigger,crappie are pretty nice this year. As to your question about the deep,if it was good some guys would be venturing to the wiper spot. lol

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I understand your urge to explore the deep water , but my general rule is to never venture beyond 200 yds ( screaming distance ) of a partner or other fishermen . Just from reading most of the SUCCESS posts on here , most fish seem to be caught in less than 10 feet of water on or near structure .

Offline RayD2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:46 PM »
I guess the only way to catch em is get out there and try. Thanks for all the good tips..Tight line to all!!

Offline creel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:46 PM »
Capt. Follow Frankie
thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others

Offline Huntermccall157

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:33 AM »
gonna be headed out for the first few times Thursday thru Sunday hoping by than you can just about venture anywhere. a little late to the party i just got out of a cast of 7 weeks but im gonna give er a shot. hoping to hit the cabins area ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.