Author Topic: Proposed limits on bait fishing  (Read 1204 times)

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Proposed limits on bait fishing
« on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:26 PM »
On the DOW site I read someone is proposing that if you fish with bait, all fish you catch will count towards your limit, even if you catch and release. This could make some of me trips only 20 minutes long. I think the problem is fishers who kill the fish they release by poor handling or just don't care if they injure the fish. If I'm having a good day I go barbless and will cut my hook off rather than injure the fish. I have caught trout with as many as three rusting hooks in them and they are healthy and still biting. I have caught bass and walleye the next day or two with lures and hooks that broke off during the fight. Some of them I was able to get all the hooks carefully back out of them. I like to tip my jigs with a piece of crawler or mealworm, it seems make a difference over a bare jig. Hopefully the careless and uncaring won't ruin it for the rest of us, and these folks probably won't follow the rules any way. Anyone heard any more about this? Concerned afishingfool

Offline FINSNGILS

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Proposed limits on bait fishing
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2008, 02:16 PM »
I haven't heard anything about changing the limits but I do know the dow is very concerned about fish kill, especially at antero last winter. I don't think they can make special limits just for bait fishermen, that would be almost impossible to enforce, they will probably just make those bodies of water flys & luers only... that is if they have proof that bait fishing is the cause of the kill numbers. Ill take a look at the cdow site and see, but it is most likely just hype, in my opinion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.