Author Topic: Blue Mesa  (Read 1037 times)

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Blue Mesa
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:32 PM »
I'm from Iowa and went to school at Western in Gunnison and never had a chance to fish Blue Mesa. I can't say I even really ice fished back then (2000-2003) wrapped up with wrestling a bit in the winters. Now I'm an avid iceman and I REGRET not getting on that thing. I think about heading back out to fish it but wonder what the thing holds and how productive the thing is. IDK maybe its not even worth the trip. Any insight?
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blue Mesa
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:42 PM »
I always have it on my to do list and for the the last 5 yrs we've made the trip. We don't always target the lakers, but we always catch fish. Sometimes we'll catch 3-4 different kinds, Bows, Browns, Kokes, even Cutthroats. I hear they even have perch in there now. It's a great place to fish in my opinion

Let me know if your going to hit it and I'll tell you a few spots to try.
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:15 PM »
I spent three days down an blue last winter fished by the middle bridge and ended up with around 50 macks but nothing big.  If you have a snowmobile you can find some better spots but there is big fish in that lake i would say its well worth the trip. Stop by the sporting goods store and ask them where the fish are hot at, they are more than willing to share some local knowledge..
fish all day drink all night....!!!!!!!

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:36 PM »
I fish Blue 10 to 15 times a year, the ice fishing should peak soon near Elk Creek Marina for the browns, near the inlet for rainbow and perch.
It varies from year to year according to the water level but this year's is very similar to the level 3 years ago when we got those fish in those locations.  Black jigs like a Ratso and small marabou, tipped with waxies or maggots will slay the browns.  White and chartrese will get the rainbows and small green tubes will catch the perch.  Small lakers are plentiful at the inlet in the channel, Dry Creek, Middle Bridge and east of Red Creek Island.  If the whole lake ices this year, the biggest ones are over on the west end off the Soap Creek channel, but that will be a late bite this year.  Everyone uses white tubes there but I think green and grey ones work better, think 50 to 70 feet deep for the better fish, don't forget a treble hook stinger.

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2011, 02:19 PM »
Awesome reports gentlemen - thanks for the insight! My Ol' Coach Otto I think manages Gene Taylors - I should call him. Once again - thanks for the insight. Sounds like its well worth the trip. When I went to school there I vaguely remember Jimmy Carter coming through and fishing... dont suppose he fishes just anywhere.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.