New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Jawjacker, is it worth buying?  (Read 16258 times)

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
Re: Jawjacker, is it worth buying?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:46 AM »
I have two jawjackers that i run with 30 inch light rods to get them to bend over and set correctly in the jacker. My question is what rod is the best rod or getting the most jack out of the jawjacker...when mine goes off it doesn't seem to snap back with very much force. to combat the softness i have put no stretch braid as my mainline and a short piece of low stretch fluorocarbon for leader. I'm wondering if this change will be enough to get more snap out of the hookset. Any more powerful rod selections would be appreciated I already know that the ugly sticks and jawjacker rods that come with them work, but they both have weaker hook sets from what i have tested.
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #61 on: Dec 12, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Medium ugly stiks seem to be a favorite. I just bought a 2 pack of 13 fishing sonicore in medium light that appear they will do well- also spooled with braid and flouro leader
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:56 AM »
I have two jawjackers that i run with 30 inch light rods to get them to bend over and set correctly in the jacker. My question is what rod is the best rod or getting the most jack out of the jawjacker...when mine goes off it doesn't seem to snap back with very much force. to combat the softness i have put no stretch braid as my mainline and a short piece of low stretch fluorocarbon for leader. I'm wondering if this change will be enough to get more snap out of the hookset. Any more powerful rod selections would be appreciated I already know that the ugly sticks and jawjacker rods that come with them work, but they both have weaker hook sets from what i have tested.
The SalmonBear style setters set strong with any style or length/action of rod.
Sorry I can't help with the JawJacker I quit using mine since I bought the SalmonBear.
Your issue is one of the many reasons I switched.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline johnsonaaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:19 AM »
i can throw a rod case in my sled with 4-6 crappie setups, 4 walleye setups, and 4 pike setups in it. 6 jawjackers in a bucket. shiners, fatheads, and crappie minnows in my bait bucket. This makes me able to quickly and easily change what my "tipups" are targeting from day to day or part of the way through a day. pretty freaking versatile if you ask me! Still in the process of fine-tuning the system but that reflects on my competence, not the quality of the product/system. cant wait to put them to work this weekend!

Offline Jakemanges123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:30 AM »
Needs a flag!

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:37 AM »
kasilofchrisn? I've been trying to look up a video of you Alaskan hook setter and I can't find one anywhere.  Any help?
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 12, 2017, 07:46 PM »
kasilofchrisn? I've been trying to look up a video of you Alaskan hook setter and I can't find one anywhere.  Any help?

Here you go:

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Oh my god that seems so much more simpler than my jawjacker.  I gotta try it.  thanks for posting that.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:22 PM »
LOL..........Just bought one ;D

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Dec 12, 2017, 09:49 PM »
Oh my god that seems so much more simpler than my jawjacker.  I gotta try it.  thanks for posting that.

I'm in the process of making my own. I would have bought one or two, but the shipping from Alaska kills the price!

I like the idea of being able to use a lighter action rod and setting it up for panfish. I also really like that it doesn't keep the rod under tension.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:02 PM »
You're right about the price.  It really isn't advanced tech but, the system looks simple to use in the cold and quick too.  I only bought one and it was 67 bucks all said and done.  Hey it's for ice fishin right!?  If it sets up as easily and sensitively as the video, ill be extremely happy.  Maybe Ill build one after I look at it.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:42 PM »
I used to have a rod tender with a set up similar however when it was windy there is nothing to keep the line on that trigger. It blows it off from front to back and side to side.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:36 AM »
You're right about the price.  It really isn't advanced tech but, the system looks simple to use in the cold and quick too.  I only bought one and it was 67 bucks all said and done.  Hey it's for ice fishin right!?  If it sets up as easily and sensitively as the video, ill be extremely happy.  Maybe Ill build one after I look at it.
They are super simple to build JPG, if you look at earlier posts on this thread, I posted a photo of the one I built using a rat trap.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 14, 2017, 05:59 AM »
Looks simple enough. I'll try it

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:01 AM »
It works real slick. I was able to catch a couple trout with it last season. I am a bit of a tight wad and I couldn't justify spending close to 70 bucks on one rig that I could make for about 10 bucks
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:37 AM »
Also, here is the link for the youtube video of me testing it before I took it on the ice.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:23 AM »
Awesome

Offline RegsizeRuss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:58 AM »
I build a similar device to use for trout. It has nearly eliminated deeply-hooked fish for me! Nothing is worse than sending a short fish back to certain death, bleeding from damaged gills or gut. Having the hook set immediately solves the problem.

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #78 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:57 AM »
I prefer the Automatic Fisherman, seems more sturdy. I fish perch a lot, poke lots of holes. It's nice to leave a few set ups in the holes to see when the schools go through, then pound them with a traditional rod til the bite stops. 

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 14, 2017, 07:40 PM »
So let me ask something...on the akb or any other, why position the openface up and not down? Doesn't make sense to me.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:19 PM »
So let me ask something...on the akb or any other, why position the openface up and not down? Doesn't make sense to me.
On my AK SalmonBear's I can position mine however I like.
Though in the set position the rod may not always rest in the rod notch in the base due to the reel sitting on the base.
It hasn't effected the functionality of the device to run it either way.
I'm guessing for video purposes it looks good to have the rod in the holder with the rod resting in the molded in notch.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:52 AM »
So if it were positioned normally, the bail would hit the ground when the device is charges?

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:58 AM »
JPG, that was the problem I ran into with my design, I wanted to keep is small and compact. To have my reel facing downward, I would have had to use a longer piece of pvc to hold it. I shortened it and spun it around. Problem solved.

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:32 AM »
Copy that.  Thanks

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:35 AM »
The whole ak unit does look pretty long as well.  Hopefully it's more compact than it looks. Either way. If it works better/easier than my others I'll make room for it. ;D

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Nothing wrong with that at all

Offline lony laker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:41 AM »
got 3 jawjackers  and love them

Offline monkeyman2269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:09 AM »

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #88 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:20 PM »
I wonder how far that flag flys when a good heavy rod snaps up...?
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline JPG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Kayl, got the asb today.  The hook where the line goes is super sharp and the bend where the line would rub is chaffed.  I'll have to take some sand paper to it.  Trigger seems sensitive also.  If I want to set it light for pannies, it could go off.  Guess I just gotta screw with it.  Let me know what you think about setting the sensitivity.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.