New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Jawjacker, is it worth buying?  (Read 16249 times)

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Re: Jawjacker, is it worth buying?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2017, 06:13 AM »
The best thing I like about them is when they go off,the rod whips up and it makes a weird clatter scraping sound on the ice . Once you hear that sound you know what it is ! That always catches my attention faster then a flag

That's true.   :)   It's a very distinctive sound that no doubt brings a smile to all Jawjacker fishermen!

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:21 AM »
You select the spot and drill the hole.
You select the lure and tie it on.
You select the bait and hook it how you want.
You set the depth.
You place it in the rod holder and set the trigger sensitivity.
All the self setter does is set the hook when the fish bites.
It's apples and oranges to your deer analogy.
Plus I get more lip hooks with mine then the average dead stick or tip up user.
With the wind, heater noise(when I decide to use it), Snowmobiles, ATV's, wildlife, etc it is hard to hear a deadstick go off.
I know I gut hook way more fish dead sticking or on a tip up then with a self setter.
With a self setter lip hooks are mostly what I get which is great for catch and release.
But it's all good nobody is asking you to use one.
But you won't convince me to leave mine at home either.
Your right was a bad analogy, it's more like when dad hooks the fish and gives you the rod. But to each his or her own. I just think the hooking of a running fish through the ice is not only the hardest part of the sport but it is also the most sporting part of the sport. Anyone can drop a shiner through a hole but experience and a little luck makes the difference on hooking them.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:30 AM »
Interesting.  It had never entered my mind that using Jawjackers made it too easy or took the challenge out of hooking fish. 

My major attraction to them was that they worked like tip-ups, but allowed me have more fun playing the fish on a rod, reel and light line rather than hand-over-hand.  And in jigging situations where I'm targeting panfish to eat, they would be more productive than a normal dead stick.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:33 AM »
I have two jaw jackers.  I like them because I fish for pike a lot and I get much quicker hook set and few deep set hooks.  In NH pike have minimum length of 28 inches so I might release a half dozen fish before I get a keeper.
Dick

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Your right was a bad analogy, it's more like when dad hooks the fish and gives you the rod. But to each his or her own. I just think the hooking of a running fish through the ice is not only the hardest part of the sport but it is also the most sporting part of the sport. Anyone can drop a shiner through a hole but experience and a little luck makes the difference on hooking them.
For me there the greatest challenge is finding the fish and a lure/bait combo that they will hit.
Can't set the hook on fish that are not there!
I've had 5 year olds on the ice that could set the hook and catch the fish consistently after a few minutes of teaching and a couple of tries. I feel that's one of the easier parts of the whole deal IMHO.
Sure I still miss fish but so do self setting rod holders.
But finding the spot that held fish, selecting the lure/bait combo, the proper depth etc. are things that are more challenging and require more experience.
With a self setter hook setting is the only thing I do not do!
Well other than hold the rod I suppose.
When dad sets the hook I just reel it up.
But dad also picks the spot, drills the hole, picks the lure, etc. etc. etc,
Like you said to each his own.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:50 AM »
I do not have a store made brand but did make one a few seasons ago out of some wood, part of coat hanger, eye screw and an old rod holder I had in the basement..    Works great, so I can see where they can be used in different situations...   Don't see where it would be cheating?   I find you lip hook almost all fish as compared to gut hooking on a tip up...   JMO......

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:13 PM »
Works great, so I can see where they can be used in different situations...   Don't see where it would be cheating?   I find you lip hook almost all fish as compared to gut hooking on a tip up...   JMO......

My thoughts exactly. I mean setting a hook with a handline is not exactly some advanced technique. Jawjackers and similar devices combine the fun of setting up traps with the fun of fighting a fish on rod and reel. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but this kind of reminds me of the surfcasting guys from stripersonline dumping on the "Bucket Brigade". The bottom line is we all like catching fish.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2017, 07:07 PM »
I agree but just so everyone knows there are many options where you can HOOK and catch fish on a rod and reel without having the rod holder set the hook for you, IE, finicky foolers, ht riggers, and many others. That is all I was trying to say. I have been ice fishing many years and as long as I use Octopus hooks I can't remember watching a fish die from being gut hooked, at least not in the last few years.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:20 PM »
Papa Sly - I am with you on the octopus hooks. I use octopus circle hooks on tilts, jaw jackers, you name it. Same with fishing bait for striped bass in saltwater. Although you might miss a fish here and there, you basically eliminate the chance of gut hooking. Glad to see the number of conservation minded guys out there.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:40 AM »
Fishing for me means being actively engaged, staring down the hole or at the flasher with rod in hand. I couldn't fish with just a jaw jacker alone as it's too passive. But if you can fish with two lines then I'd certainly set up a second line with a jaw jacker

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Bought 4 a couple of years ago, use them mainly on lakers and they work great.

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:13 AM »
I switched from the jawjacker to the AK SalmonBear self setting rod holders and couldn't be happier with them.
They have a better design.
But yes I use mine quite often.
I like them better than a standard TipUp.

Ordered 2 of them.  Looks like a better mouse trap

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2017, 04:41 AM »
Fishing for me means being actively engaged, staring down the hole or at the flasher with rod in hand. I couldn't fish with just a jaw jacker alone as it's too passive. But if you can fish with two lines then I'd certainly set up a second line with a jaw jacker

We can run 7 lines at a time in NY, so depending on what we're after, I'll usually set-up 6 Automatic Fisherman units with Blue Tipz devices and jig in the shanty at the same time. Extremely effective when targeting pike and panfish/perch at the same time. There are cases where tip-ups work better, but most often times an Automatic Fisherman will outperform a tip-up. Biggest thing for me is fighting the fish on rod & reel versus handlining with the line ending up on the ice, catching on ice chunks, freezing up, etc. I prefer Auto's over the JJ due to it's simple design, overall durability, and it's the original concept design. The durability factor alone is a huge asset in my book when it comes to the extreme conditions we encounter on the ice. @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:32 AM »
I made something similar to the salmon bear using a rat trap and some pvc. I used a coat hanger for the trigger and it works great. caught two nice bows with it last season. Hoping to be on the ice more this season to test it out some more.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:50 AM »
a buddy of mine loves them. He has a few and sets them up and then sits in his sled and jigs while waiting for the JJ to pop. Me, I will set a couple tip ups and then sit and jig while waiting for a flag to pop. I prefer the tip up just cuz I think it's fun hand lining a fish in. To each his own. I say try one or 2 and see how you feel about it.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:54 AM »
I recently bought the jaw jacker, I can't wait to try it out. This forum is great it really give a lot of insight from actual ice fisherman not just vendors/ salespeople.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:55 AM »
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #47 on: Dec 08, 2017, 06:13 AM »
Talk about "building a better mouse trap"...   ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 08, 2017, 06:15 AM »
hahaha I didn't like the prices of the stuff that was out there so I made my own

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 08, 2017, 06:32 AM »
I wouldnt fish with just traps. I have 20+ working tipups of various types. Hardly fish without  a few of them either. My problem is with perch tripping them and dropping the bait. If the jj or af will set the hook on a 6" perch and not go off on every wind gust id buy them.

Offline YukonCorleone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 08, 2017, 08:27 AM »
I like using mine, definitely worth a try.
Fish On!!!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 08, 2017, 09:08 AM »
I never use circle hooks anymore, tried them but lost a lot more fish that way. I use regular octopus hooks(size 1/0 to 5/0)in different glo colors on 18-24 inch 30# flourp leaders crimped all the time now, no more knots. For pike , bass, and walleye I also use blades and beads. I get 3x as many flags with the beads and blades as without.

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:07 AM »
I never use circle hooks anymore, tried them but lost a lot more fish that way. I use regular octopus hooks(size 1/0 to 5/0)in different glo colors on 18-24 inch 30# flourp leaders crimped all the time now, no more knots. For pike , bass, and walleye I also use blades and beads. I get 3x as many flags with the beads and blades as without.

Thanks for the pick and idea! Had a couple questions about this:
1. What do you use for your crimping materials/tools?
2. Do you ever lose fish because the crimp cuts the flouro or can the flouro slip back thru?

Thanks

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Thanks for the pick and idea! Had a couple questions about this:
1. What do you use for your crimping materials/tools?
2. Do you ever lose fish because the crimp cuts the flouro or can the flouro slip back thru?

Thanks

I make my own leaders for fishing swimbaits for bass in toothy critter waters and have never lost a lure due to a bad crimp or slippage.

I use Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader material and barrel crimps (These to be specific https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIW11I/). Size the barrel crimps to the size fluoro that you want to use. I don't use a crimping tool, I just use a pair of vise-grips set to have the teeth just barely touching if at all. I'm paranoid and crimp the leaders 2-3 times. I've tested my leaders and have never had an issue.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 08, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Same as Kayl said except I do use a good crimping tool. If you do it right you will never tie again. best article that expalins it. I use 30# seagar leader material for Pike and Bass and caught over 150 fish last year in New York with no breaks. A friend was fishing with no blades or beads and we had 3x as many flags, they are amazing.

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html

Offline mkiburz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 08, 2017, 10:29 PM »
At the end of the day when your fingers are so cold that you can't move them and you fishing  in a 100ft for lakers. You will be thankful for them.    No wet finger and faster take down and set up. 
I don't buy into the equipment hype but I can tell you I've caught bluegills, perch, crappie, splake, pickerel, suckers, bullheads, etc...   I see them as a modern tip-up.   

Also if you are handy build your own.   They are easy to build.   I build mine to collapse and fit in a basket.   

I build my own

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Same as Kayl said except I do use a good crimping tool. If you do it right you will never tie again. best article that expalins it. I use 30# seagar leader material for Pike and Bass and caught over 150 fish last year in New York with no breaks. A friend was fishing with no blades or beads and we had 3x as many flags, they are amazing.

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html

Which crimping tool do you like? I really should buy one.

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
« Reply #57 on: Dec 09, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Just found a 600yd spool of 40# yozuri hybrid line that I bought for striper season but its way too stiff...

Might be worth tying some pike rigs up
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:21 PM »

If you take a 5/16 or similar bolt and put under the spring ends and staple in place you get magnum performance out of the rat trap.   

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 11, 2017, 05:25 AM »
If you take a 5/16 or similar bolt and put under the spring ends and staple in place you get magnum performance out of the rat trap.
you can find a video of my setup on youtube. can't get a link for you on the computer I am using because it is blocked but anyways, I don't think I need any more performance out of it. Already looks like it could set hard enough to cross their eyes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.