New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Jawjacker, is it worth buying?  (Read 16250 times)

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jawjacker, is it worth buying?
« on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:09 PM »
I usually just jig fish with a pole and use a flasher. I was thinking about adding a jawjacker. If I'm in my flip over I was thinking it would be fun to put one 20 or 30 feet out. Does anyone with experience with one think it's worth buying? For those that own one, do you use it regularly?

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jawjacker, is it worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Some people can't stand the idea of a trigger actuated hook set as being contrary to the spirit of "Fair Chase". Of course there are some people, like fly fishermen in particular with their "match the hatch", who believe that ice guys in general are just meat hunters and are not to be considered sportsmen. Knuckle walkers. Booger eaters.
  I made my own Jacker type units years ago and they have served me well as just another arrow in the quiver. Sometimes I'll go all deadsticks while I sit in the shelter and cook a tasty meal. Let the little snappers stand guard meanwhile. Hark, another fish on.
  Just go ahead and buy one. A soft glass rod or UglyStik or JawJacker rod seems to work best.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Some people can't stand the idea of a trigger actuated hook set as being contrary to the spirit of "Fair Chase". Of course there are some people, like fly fishermen in particular with their "match the hatch", who believe that ice guys in general are just meat hunters and are not to be considered sportsmen. Knuckle walkers. Booger eaters.
  I made my own Jacker type units years ago and they have served me well as just another arrow in the quiver. Sometimes I'll go all deadsticks while I sit in the shelter and cook a tasty meal. Let the little snappers stand guard meanwhile. Hark, another fish on.
  Just go ahead and buy one. A soft glass rod or UglyStik or JawJacker rod seems to work best.

X2
They're really fun and a quality rig.
I have 4 and basically use them in place of olf-fashioned tip-ups. 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:35 PM »
I switched from the jawjacker to the AK SalmonBear self setting rod holders and couldn't be happier with them.
They have a better design.
But yes I use mine quite often.
I like them better than a standard TipUp.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:39 PM »
less than $5

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:11 PM »
They’re definitely worth it, especially for trout. They take a little playing around with in setting the trip tension. And no gut hooks, hooking fish nicely in the jaw.. who new?  ;D
Pete

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:44 PM »
I've got 2. Use them a bunch. Work great

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Chautauquafish

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2017, 11:25 AM »
Used them for pike last year. I was suspect at first but they worked great! I’d still rather see a flag pop up anyway though.  :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Value is in the eye of the beholder for what its worth.... ;)

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Anybody have any auto hooker gadgets that set the hook on small perch?

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:25 PM »
While we don't have perch here I am sure my SalmonBear can be set light enough to work on small ones.
KasilofChrisN

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2017, 05:39 AM »
Youtube has quite a few vids a couple show people perch fishing,
Keep it safe!

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Are they legal in N.Y.?
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Worth buying?

I'd say if you're indolent and edacious, then yes!
How are users of self setters any more indolent than users of  standard TipUps?
They work great and are legal in all states except MN.

KasilofChrisN

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2017, 01:49 AM »
How are users of self setters any more indolent than users of  standard TipUps?
They work great and are legal in all states except MN.

To understand that answer you must have a long list of gear in your signature!    :P

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2017, 02:16 AM »
Worth buying?

I'd say if you're indolent and edacious, then yes!

Thanks for the new words.. :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:  Neither one fits me personally, but I'll use them for the word of the day at our shop..right under imbecilic    ;D

To the OP, Mancaveburnett,  I have 4 JawJackers in my arsenal...they work great and are a lot of fun!   :thumbsup:

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:32 AM »
The jury is still out. Was on Pisico last year with one. The trout drove me crazy, stealing bait, then went over and got caught by my buddies tipup.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:05 PM »
I usually just jig fish with a pole and use a flasher. I was thinking about adding a jawjacker. If I'm in my flip over I was thinking it would be fun to put one 20 or 30 feet out. Does anyone with experience with one think it's worth buying? For those that own one, do you use it regularly?

I bought one to give it a try last season.  I liked it a lot and bought another one.  I just ordered a third one today.  :-)

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2017, 01:06 PM »
I would say yes, if you want to use a rod instead of a tipup.
I've gotten perch, crappie and pike on mine.
Buy one, give it a go, just practice setting it at home first, that way you get a feel for setting it.
Tight lines.

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2017, 09:00 AM »
I started with jj but now run automatic fishermen feel the plastic is better and will last longer with less moving legs and points.   And the autos use a great bobber system.   Definitely they can help on lots of days with better hook up over standard tip ups.    Good luck
Just enjoying life

Offline Ziehnertfish007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:07 PM »
Jawjackers have been awesome for me, caught plenty of fish on them last year with nothing gut hooked. Only issue i have is sometimes it may go off if the sensitivity is too high and then you end up losing your bait.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2017, 04:27 PM »
In my opinion definitely worth it. There is just something so satisfying about hearing the rod go off and then watching the "fight" as you head over there. A bonus is that you don't have to wonder whether it is a wind flag or one tripped by the bait; you can visually tell from a distance whether a fish is on or not. I have both Jawjackers and a couple of Automatic Fishermen. As others have stated, materials are sturdier with the AF (JJ feel on the flimsy side). Other than that, both products do the trick.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2017, 03:57 PM »
As I have said in the general chat any type of self setters take all the fun and challenge out of setting the hook.(my opinion) It's like having dad or gramps set the hook and hand you the rod when we were to young to do it ourselves. Anyone can reel in a fish when set was done by someone or something else. That being said I love using rods so I dead stick all the time with finicky foolers. Very adjustable, compact and work great while still giving you the challenge of the hook set. When I am fishing with my young grandson I set up a Jaw Jacker for him but once he hits 8 years old he will have to learn to set himself.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2017, 05:34 PM »
My thoughts are, its a fad, I made my own, using an old flash light case as the rod holder, an old fiberglass rod, trigger can be made out of a coat hanger, I used a brass rod as the trip.

They are fine if you aim is to harvest fish.

Bud

Offline Keng8554

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2017, 05:42 PM »
I love mine for panfish. I think it's more likely to catch nibblers than a deadstick or anything else that doesn't drive the hook home. You can set it so light that you can trigger it by basically blowing on it. Also, I'd say its actually rare that the rod is triggered and the fish isn't pinned.

My set up was typically a jig tipped with a waxie, but also have set kastmasters tipped with waxies. It worked for small northern 4 inch shiners and treble.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2017, 07:17 PM »
My thoughts are, its a fad, I made my own, using an old flash light case as the rod holder, an old fiberglass rod, trigger can be made out of a coat hanger, I used a brass rod as the trip.

They are fine if you aim is to harvest fish.

I don’t see why they would only be preferable only to those harvesting fish. I’ve never gut-hooked a fish on one. I think tip-ups do more damage, since fish have time to run with the bait. To each his own I guess. I’ll keep using both  ;D
Pete

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2017, 07:32 PM »
LOL it's like someone shooting the deer 4 you and then you waiting the 1/2 hour and then going to get it and drag it out calling it your deer.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Jaw jackers all the way. !  Always catch tons of fish on them. The build quality is great. I own 8 .they can be set up for almost any ice rod. The best thing I like about them is when they go off,the rod whips up and it makes a weird clatter scraping sound on the ice . Once you hear that sound you know what it is ! That always catches my attention faster then a flag

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2017, 11:45 PM »
LOL it's like someone shooting the deer 4 you and then you waiting the 1/2 hour and then going to get it and drag it out calling it your deer.
You select the spot and drill the hole.
You select the lure and tie it on.
You select the bait and hook it how you want.
You set the depth.
You place it in the rod holder and set the trigger sensitivity.
All the self setter does is set the hook when the fish bites.
It's apples and oranges to your deer analogy.
Plus I get more lip hooks with mine then the average dead stick or tip up user.
With the wind, heater noise(when I decide to use it), Snowmobiles, ATV's, wildlife, etc it is hard to hear a deadstick go off.
I know I gut hook way more fish dead sticking or on a tip up then with a self setter.
With a self setter lip hooks are mostly what I get which is great for catch and release.
But it's all good nobody is asking you to use one.
But you won't convince me to leave mine at home either.
KasilofChrisN

Offline burkdog24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2017, 12:36 AM »
Jaw Jackers are better for when you are using a baitcaster and Automatic Fishermans are better if you are using a spinning reel. Eric Haataja did a youtube video on it. You can find it easy just search JJ vs AF......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.