Author Topic: Stupidest thing you saw at the derby this year.....  (Read 8141 times)

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Stupidest thing you saw at the derby this year.....
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:02 PM »
That's the main reason I don't fish the flatlander derby. The flatties need something to call their own and I'm ok with giving them that derby. They are killing it slowly anyways. They come up here and figure that this time last year the ice was plenty safe so they venture out. Most likely never carrying a chisel and checking the ice prior to getting on. There were several vehicles that either went through and several snowmobilers that went through as well. I glad no one was killed.

First and for most, too many cheaters. Green Ghost and his team alone nailed over 100 "fishermen" for too many lines this past weekend. Most were from Conn. and Mass with one person from NH. No telling what the other CO's did. I wonder how many "fishermen" got away with it this year too. I guess these "fishermen" helped our economy but are killing the competition of the derby. My feeling is that the fine should be stiffer and loss of license longer.
The other reason is the other cheaters or "clever people" who enter farm trout and grab some money. I know there are no rules for that but come on??!! Where is the sportsmenship in that??!! How do you hold your head up high? I know of a guy who has rainbows in his pond and they range up to 8 pounds. We fly fish it with barbless hooks / catch and release just for the fun of it. I know he wouldn't enter his trouts in the derby in fear of ruining his good name and for what??!!

I'm glad I kept my money (buys alot of beer). I did sleep in my bobhouse this past weekend and ended up catching 7 lakers and 4 cusk. Nothing over 20" though but it was a good weekend to sleep out as the weather wasn't windy or really cold. Getting practice for the Newfound derby, where the cheaters can stay away.
CONGRATS to the real fishermen that didn't cheat and won prizes. You DESERVE it.

JIGGIN.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Do you usually fish Newfound?

Just wondering.

Spike :-X :-X :-X :-X ;D ;D ;D ;D

I didn't see any conservation officers at Newfound this weekend.  Nor have I seen any this season.  I fish every weekend and sometimes during the week.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:26 PM »
I didn't see any conservation officers at Newfound this weekend.  Nor have I seen any this season.  I fish every weekend and sometimes during the week.

C/O Kneeland (my old neighbor) will be sure to be paying Newfound a visit now!  LOL!  He is a great guy. 

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:32 PM »
C/O Kneeland (my old neighbor) will be sure to be paying Newfound a visit now!  LOL!  He is a great guy. 

He is a great guy!  Usually by this time in the season, I've seen him a few times.  He has been too busy bustin' the cheaters!
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:49 PM »
You cannot see him, that's why they call him a ghost.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Wooooooh the Nelly. I didn't say the guy from East Kingston would do that. I merely pointed out a guy I used to sell bait to had a farm pond with trout in it that he fished thru the ice.  It looks like one guy is actually from Freemont. Maybe he knows this guy in East Kingston or maybe he has his own pond. Who knows it's all an unknown right now. Someone said he heard them say they were caught on a private pond. that alone is reason enough for disqualification. Otherwise everyone will be raising their own trout to win the money. However for this year the rules say a body of water in NH so that fits the legal aspect of it.
If you think about it the guy was pretty smart to think that up. Or just a jerk for pulling it off. Either way he has $650 of our entry money in his pocket.

Spike
No I am not saying its the same guy Thats where they said they caught them In a small one acre pond in east Kingston The told the C/O

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:58 PM »

Do or did you live off of Whitemore point?

JIGGIN.

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:19 PM »
That's the main reason I don't fish the flatlander derby. The flatties need something to call their own and I'm ok with giving them that derby. They are killing it slowly anyways. They come up here and figure that this time last year the ice was plenty safe so they venture out. Most likely never carrying a chisel and checking the ice prior to getting on. There were several vehicles that either went through and several snowmobilers that went through as well. I glad no one was killed.

First and for most, too many cheaters. Green Ghost and his team alone nailed over 100 "fishermen" for too many lines this past weekend. Most were from Conn. and Mass with one person from NH. No telling what the other CO's did. I wonder how many "fishermen" got away with it this year too. I guess these "fishermen" helped our economy but are killing the competition of the derby. My feeling is that the fine should be stiffer and loss of license longer.
The other reason is the other cheaters or "clever people" who enter farm trout and grab some money. I know there are no rules for that but come on??!! Where is the sportsmenship in that??!! How do you hold your head up high? I know of a guy who has rainbows in his pond and they range up to 8 pounds. We fly fish it with barbless hooks / catch and release just for the fun of it. I know he wouldn't enter his trouts in the derby in fear of ruining his good name and for what??!!

That just about sums it up for me too. 

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Do or did you live off of Whitemore point?

JIGGIN.

He lived in Lyndeborough when I was in high school.  I have seen him once since he moved up to the Newfound area. He wanted that area really bad.  I will say that he does have some good tricks up his sleeve.  I found him hiding in an apple crate one day while pheasant hunting. He got some people too....it was kinda funny to watch.  The dog would always tell me when Jim was hiding in the crate. I would just walk by and say "hi Jim" and keep right on hunting!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2008, 12:53 PM »
He lived in Lyndeborough when I was in high school.  I have seen him once since he moved up to the Newfound area. He wanted that area really bad.  I will say that he does have some good tricks up his sleeve.  I found him hiding in an apple crate one day while pheasant hunting. He got some people too....it was kinda funny to watch.  The dog would always tell me when Jim was hiding in the crate. I would just walk by and say "hi Jim" and keep right on hunting!

That's pretty funny. I have to admit I've seen him do some things too that really impressed the heck outta me. If your doing something wrong, your gonna get caught. If your not, he'll treat you with all the respect in the world. The way it should be. That's why we call him the Green Ghost. We're very fortunate to have him in our area and in our State for that matter. He does alot for both (our area and state).

Gonna fish the Newfound derby this year? If you do, holler out to me on the radio.

JIGGIN.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #40 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Stupidest thing I saw was myself stepping in a 10" hole covered with snow and slush.  Man, that hurt!! :'(
Clark Gable

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:51 PM »
Don't feel bad, saw three people do that Saturday within 1 hour. Last year darn near broke my leg on one.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Yeah, that's why I stick with an 8" auger.  I've got kids too.  I'd hate to see one of them step in one of those 10" holes!
Clark Gable

Offline cusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 13, 2008, 05:45 PM »
Stupidest thing I saw was my snowmobile sink to the bottom of Winni.  My buddy was driving it through the narrows at Salmon Meadow.  Fortunately the Moultonboro Fire Dept. helped out and a very reasonable tow truck operator helped too.  Whole thing cost $100.00 to extract (Really!) and 130.00 to get running like new again.  I got pretty lucky.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 13, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Stupidest thing I saw was my snowmobile sink to the bottom of Winni.  My buddy was driving it through the narrows at Salmon Meadow.  Fortunately the Moultonboro Fire Dept. helped out and a very reasonable tow truck operator helped too.  Whole thing cost $100.00 to extract (Really!) and 130.00 to get running like new again.  I got pretty lucky.

You did not mention how your buddy made out...if it were my sled and my buddy, I would have payed to get the sled out first and then I would have to think about helping my buddy!

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:50 AM »
WAS FISHING ABOUT A 1/3 OF THE WAY DOWN MEREDITH BAY AND SAW A GUY LATE IN THE DAY ON SAT DRIVE BY ON HIS SLED DOING MAYBE 10MPH AND JUST FELL OFF THE SLED... I WOULD NOT WANT TO HAVE FELL DOWN IN THAT SLOP.. HE WAS crapFACED..  GOT BACK ON IT AND PUTTED ALONG DOING 10MPH.. A FRIEND OF MINE WAS HAMMERED KILLED A LARGE BOTTLE OF CROWN AND MUST OF FELL DOWN 50 TIMES WALKING OFF THE ICE..  WHEN HE GOT BACK TO THE HOUSE IT LOOKED LIKE HE WENT SWIMMING IN THE LAKE...  WHAT A BONE HEAD BUT IT WAS FUNNY..

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #46 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:55 PM »
......Troutdance.

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 14, 2008, 04:11 PM »
......Troutdance.
WAS THAT HIM I SAW FALLING OFF THE SLED...

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 14, 2008, 04:20 PM »
no.

he was The Gorton's Fisherman!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.