Author Topic: Slow day  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Slow day
« on: Jan 28, 2024, 01:07 AM »
4 of us went out and 1 of us caught a couple...... The ice was unnerving. 5 inches of soft frozen slush ice. Marked fish here and there and had a couple touches but not much action today. My son got these two back to back early.

Every fish is a good fish!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: Slow day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2024, 05:45 AM »
Nice work…...I had similar ice conditions where I was fishing….2” of a slushy slop and 6” of solid
ice under that
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2024, 06:44 AM »
Fishing was slow for me, too.  They weren't super fired up.  I thought it might be better w/ light passing rain showers & storm front approaching....nope!

6" of good ice where I was, but 2" of slush on top made it very sloppy (& wet).  My sled started filling w/ water - what a mess.   ::)

Glad you didn't go for a swim on the soft, frozen slush ice.  I looked at some other ice on my way north & looked very sketchy - didn't see anyone else out.

Some cold coming next week should firm things up (before the next storm)....

Nice lakers!  ;D

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2024, 10:01 AM »
Yesterday was interesting day for us as well. Fished an area we fished the previous week where we caught a lot of lakers on tips up (practically all out of 1 hole) and a smallie. We also jigged up two lakers.

Yesterday we had 6 tip ups out all day with smelt and caught 1 gigantic yellow perch. 14.5” and 1.4lbs. We then caught 10 lakers jigging and 1 decent cusk. Weird day.
Tight Lines!

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2024, 11:02 AM »
Horrible days for us yesterday, 3 guys 1 garmin livescope unit and a garmin panoptix unit and miles of ground covered looking for white perch on winni, we found 1 school of whites and they were gone in a hurry, lakers wanted nothing from us either, we threw everything but the kitchen sink at then and nothing more than a quick look and gone.
1 smallie, that's all we had to show for a whole day.

Offline HennikerBassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2024, 11:06 AM »
Wicked slow day for Lakers yesterday as well. Ice was as variable as ever from 4 inches with some slush on top and mostly black ice under up to almost 9 inches where we set up.
Marked probably a dozen Lakers through the day, mostly uncooperative. A couple charged jigs as fast as I could reel but wouldn't commit to anything I tied on.
That's the way it goes fishing for Lakers sometimes I guess, especially where l was fishing. Try again next weekend   ???

Offline HennikerBassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2024, 11:08 AM »
Wicked slow day for Lakers yesterday as well. Ice was as variable as ever from 4 inches with some slush on top and mostly black ice under up to almost 9 inches where we set up.
Marked probably a dozen Lakers through the day, mostly uncooperative. A couple charged jigs as fast as I could reel but wouldn't commit to anything I tied on.
That's the way it goes fishing for Lakers sometimes I guess, especially where l was fishing. Try again next weekend   ???
Saw a couple Lakers eating some perch on the underwater camera which was kind of cool I suppose  ;D

Offline Dp180407

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2024, 08:13 PM »
Slow day for me, in southern nh. Not even a single flag, had about 5" of ice that started turning into slush

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2024, 11:51 AM »
I found super sketchy ice too, small pond around Monadnock. Packed light and spudded my way out but started putting the spud through in 2 hits before I got to fishable waters... Time to start driving north...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2024, 02:02 PM »
Horrible days for us yesterday, 3 guys 1 garmin livescope unit and a garmin panoptix unit and miles of ground covered looking for white perch on winni, we found 1 school of whites and they were gone in a hurry, lakers wanted nothing from us either, we threw everything but the kitchen sink at then and nothing more than a quick look and gone.
1 smallie, that's all we had to show for a whole day.

Were you one of the fellas I bumped into on my way back to my truck? I was on  the snow dog

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:42 AM »
Were you one of the fellas I bumped into on my way back to my truck? I was on  the snow dog

Yes, we were on the tracksled train ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.