Author Topic: digital scale  (Read 1062 times)

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
digital scale
« on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:22 AM »
Just wondering what everyone uses for digital scale, how long batteries last in the cold..etc..would a bogo grip be good? This will also end up in my boat for the season..

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: digital scale
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:55 AM »
I like the rapala digital scale that’s what I use for ice and open water , got one of the newer touch screens and dropped it and the screen got damaged and can’t read it now. Battery hasn’t been a issue for me in the cold but it also comes inside with me at the end of the trip. Had a cpl cheaper brand ones back in the day but they didn’t hold up as well as the digital rapala

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:08 AM »
+1 on the Rapala

I've had mine for 4 years now and it still works perfectly. It stays outside all the time, either in the boat or with me, and I just finally had to replace the batteries for the first time about a month ago.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:31 AM »
I’ve had the same rapala for 20 years, still dead on.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:33 AM »
Scales... A weighty subject.

I've had this American Weigh Scales AMW-SR-20 Yellow Digital Hanging Scale, 44lb/20kg by 0.02 LB over 3 years. It's been great. Accurate and under $20. There is a smaller version that goes to 11#/5kg. Never been a fan of Boga and their clones especially for big, longer fish like muskies and pike. Vertical hanging by that one point can be dangerous for a fish you intend to release. In fairness I don't even use the scale I've got very often. A quick tape to the nearest 1/4 inch and I'm satisfied.

If you must own a scale and want the most accurate measurement, shop for one where the middle of the scale range is representative of most of the fish you will be weighing.  Any scale is most accurate on weights that fall in about the middle 10% of the range. For example, my 44# scale will weigh most accurately between (roughly) 17 and 27 ponds. As the weight approach the extremes of the scale they become progressively less accurate. If most of the fish I choose to weigh are, say, less than 10 pounds I'm not getting a very accurate weight. I'd be better off with a 20# or even a 15# scale. In fairness, the accuracy drop-off may be barely noticeable, especially on better quality scales. If you do need very accurate weights you should consider the scale range as well as the quality of manufacture.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:56 AM »
I actually don't use mine very often, either. A big carp, buffalo, redhorse, or bowfin are about the only things that ever get weighed on it. I sorta have my sights set on a state record for silver redhorse here, since it is a ridiculously small one. I have seen several in the river I know would break it, but of yet, I haven't caught one. I came about 6oz shy a few years ago, but not even close since that.

I use my net as a weighing basket to help avoid damaging fish. Just gotta hang the net, rezero the scale for tare weight, and you're good to go.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:43 AM »

So did ya slip one past the goalie or are you out of time out?
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2021, 11:48 AM »
Hey hey look who’s back

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2021, 12:51 PM »

FRANK!!!! Where you been man! WE MISSED YA!

As for the scales... I bring a suspended tear drop by Wholehangers Weighting, I bought year ago. Had it for about 20 years and never had any issue. I bought it I think form Jacks.  Not digital but extremely accurate! Good Luck out there Biker!
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:51 PM »
Got the same for about as long, and it has been through hell getting left in the boat, wet, even frozen in ice once (oops) but still works. With the auto off the 9V battery lasts a long time - and being able to tar/zero it out allows it to be used in many ways. The newer ones have the clamping mechanism to hold the fish , this one just has the hook. I usually have it with me - but don't often use it.

Welcome back Frank.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2021, 02:02 PM »
i use rapala...if you're really concerned about weight you can get a SALTER scale (or similar) + have it certified.

i thought I killed my old rapala digital scale fishing in the rain...(wouldn't turn on)...took it all apart....replaced the batteries...nothing.  ordered a new 1 + let the old 1 dry out a few days.  new one arrives - works perfectly.  just for kicks, i put old 1 back together...and the damn thing has worked every day since!  still have new scale (which is a few yrs old now).

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Ditto on the Rapala, WB from prison Aqua !  :)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2021, 04:27 PM »
I like this one

when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.