Author Topic: Muck Woody Max Boots  (Read 676 times)

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Muck Woody Max Boots
« on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:13 PM »
I was just looking at another post by Osage about product reviews and it got me to thinking. I got a pair of Woody Max boots for Christmas. I have yet to wear them but plan on hitting the ice by the end of the week (fingers crossed) to try them out. I was looking at reviews on the Cabala's website on them. They had 103 reviews with 79/5 stars, 12/4 stars , only two people gave it one star. Quiet a few said they were trash when it came to keeping your feet warm, others raved about how well they kept their feet warm. I have been using 2000gram Rubber Boots but wanted something that wasn't as bulky. Any of you guys have these boots and if so how are they on the ice and in cold temps while hunting??           

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Muck Woody Max Boots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Hi GW...
   Had mine 4 seasons now! Absotutely NO problem keepin feet warm as long as you don't go toooo tight with sox! My only peeve would be how much my feet sweat in them! Just used them for our Mass. deer season from 40's to 12 below no problems! Ice fishin I almost always use my Lacrosse Ice Kings because of sittin so long. I'm 65 and they are just so light and warm for huntin!  Hope you enjoy them!  Stay safe Friend!  O.P.   :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I have had mine for about 6 Years and to be honest, they are very warm but if youre on the ice all day ( 8-12 hours like I am at times) my feet get cool.Not cold but cool.I have started to use my 2000 gr boots I got from Sportsmans Guide lasy year and they are really warm. But heavy.I would say that 90% of the time I will wear my Mucks but they are nice to walk in. I have modified mine by putting ice screws on the bottom. You can dance on glare ice with no slippage at all, but gotta watch going into someones house with hardwood floors!!!!!!!!! Good Luck.

Offline beau2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:41 PM »
I have a pair.  They are not as warm as advertised but are great boots.  Never a leak.  Great for slush conditions.  I agree about the socks, don't wear thick socks that make them tight, they aren't as warm then.  I found that i use mine around the house a lot.  Going out in the deep snow.  Washing the truck. Etc.  plus ice fishing.  If I ever get another pair of Mucks I will get the ones that have max amount of insulation for the ice.  I wear size 11 1/2 shoe, but had to get size 13 for good easy on easy off fit. 

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. 

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:51 PM »
i just got a pair this year and love them. yes my feet do get a bit cold nothing bad though but that is only when i am just sitting there doing nothing. so when they get a little chilled i just go and walk around for a bit and then they are fine again. but the reason i think they get cold is cause my feet are sweating cause they are so warm. i do not wear them to where i am heading to prevent my feet sweating and i put them one when i get there and that helps and i also bring 2 pairs of sock just in case they sweat a lot. but yes i love them they are super comfy.

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:55 PM »
I have the woody elite.  Same insulation as the woody max, only reason I got the elites is bc they have the anti microbial liner so they won't stink from sweating in them. Also, I hit a crazy deal on them.

As far as warmth, I have had no problems at all.  As others have stated, don't wear real thick socks.  Also, make sure the boots and your feet are totally dry.  I always were a different pair of boots and socks for the drive to the lake and then change when I get there.  Even if you don't notice it, your feet will sweat in the boots if you drive in them.  The dampness is what will make you cold. 

I fit ski boots at a shop for several years. Everyone complained about cold feet and 90% of it was solved by making sure their feet were dry and had proper circulation.  Any if these good quality boots (muck, lacrosse, etc.) will be warm as long as you keep those things in mind.

Dry feet with good blood flow = warm happy feet

Overall I love my muck boots.  Comfy, water proof, warm, and lite.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:17 AM »
Sounds like they work for many.

WS

Offline Creekerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:24 AM »
I agree with the others.  I've had my Muck boots since fall of Y2K and have used them exclusively since.  I use mine for hunting, fishing on the ice, shovelling the roof, climbing ladders, and walking through shallow water-streams.  Never wet unless I've had snow fall over the top or from sweat.  I do experience some "cooling" nrt cold as reported above but not  until about 2 hours after sitting in one place.  I was out this past week on the ice at -10 and stayed there 4 hours until lunch time.  My experience...any boot will do that or worse.  I use a tight-fitting sock layered over with a loose-fitting sport sock.  A third layer does make it too tight and speeds cooling.  I found that when sitting ground-level with feet on the snow, the snow actually melts under the tread...a lot of heat transfer out the bottom apparently.  So now I try to locate or bring a small dia. log of 2X4 to rest the boots on.  Seems to retard the cooling effect...would seem to be the same for any boot.  When it comes time to get another pair...I'm sold on Muck boots.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:34 AM »
I like the micky mouse boots myself...I also have the muck boots....Some people just have cold feet and have trouble keeping them warm in any type of boot...I have a pair of rockys with tons of thinsolite in them and some days they are great and other days my toes get cold..why ? must be my system....I just wanted to throw that in there... ::) ::)
too cold ....aint going out there..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.