Author Topic: Has anyone tried "Bait Herring" from the local fish stores in Winnipeg?  (Read 7201 times)

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
I just bought a pound of frozen 4" smelts and a frozen 12-pack of 6"-7" bait herring from Neptune fisheries today, and was wondering if anyone has tried the herring for pike or trout?
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
Work great. Firsthand personal experience!. Cheaper to hit the superstore and buy a pack of large herring,mackeral etc. Some as large as 12". go big or go home!!!

grumpymoe

#1 go to bait for pike Skiff....one of the all time favourites!!!....good luck....stick em on a Norwegian hook....even more fun and guaranteed easy hookout for those you want to release....and a good challenge on maintaining tension on the retrieve....Grump  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Herring were responsible for my two personal best hardwater pike of 45" and 44". They work... ;)

Offline outdoorman18

• Team IceShanty Regular
my uncle is a lobster fisherman on the coast here in maine and he got me a case of herring about 6-8'' each fish but have not got to try them out yet because we have very little ice....heard they work great for the pike....could tell you better next week! :)

Offline rainbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just bought a pound of frozen 4" smelts and a frozen 12-pack of 6"-7" bait herring from Neptune fisheries today, and was wondering if anyone has tried the herring for pike or trout?
Fished with them on the red way back when  :o                                                     
Work great. Firsthand personal experience!. Cheaper to hit the superstore and buy a pack of large herring,mackeral etc. Some as large as 12". go big or go home!!!
                       The bigger the bait the bigger the fish  ;)

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I bought a pack last winter...I think the smaller ones (4" range if I recall)...package isn't opened yet, although it has travelled with me a couple of times...sigh.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Herring?   ::)  ;)

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
Herring?   ::)  ;)

Offline Deeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
 Ok...so back to a "herring" question again.............are these herring you speak of buying as bait, the same as the "herring-Tulibee-Cisco" that we were catching when fishing Whitefish?? (see whitefish madness post a few pages back)......hope so, cause i saved some for Pike fishing.
thanks, deeker

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
No, I don't think they are small tullibee, because the head looks more pointed, and the scales are blue.  I think they're (maybe?) salt water herring, or at least not local.  There's a 1-800 number on the package that I'll phone tomorrow to see if they have info on them.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
I was talking to Manny a week back and he was showing me his bait, he was telling me both were great for pike and lakers, greasy fish, I'm not sure why smelts are so popular, of coarse six herring for $11-12 :o :o. but go big or go home ::)

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok...so back to a "herring" question again.............are these herring you speak of buying as bait, the same as the "herring-Tulibee-Cisco" that we were catching when fishing Whitefish?? (see whitefish madness post a few pages back)......hope so, cause i saved some for Pike fishing.
thanks, deeker

The herring typically sold as baitfish are pacific herring which are a saltwater fish completely unrelated to our cisco/tullibee. If you ever watch any of the B.C. fishing shows where they are out trolling for salmon with "cut plugs", these are the baits that they use.

The fish that you saved for pike fishing are simply small tullibee, and should work excellent for pike fishing.

Skiff - what is the name on the package of herring? I can't recall the name, but there is a company that starts with an "R" that sells awesome baits. They are a bit pricey, but they are of a great quality.

grumpymoe

freshwater herring also run in numerous Ontario lakes and look like their saltwater counterparts....used to dip them when they ran the fastwater in later summers in NW Ontario....man the eyes would go on some crazy feeding frenzies when they were around....talk about the hawgs rising to the occassion....it was nothing to lay a nice one out on a shoreline cast, and watch them hit....Grump

RandyH

think most of the herring sold around here are from outfit called Rhy Davis. Work well for pike due to the oily nature of the herring - pike have a good sense of smell.

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
think most of the herring sold around here are from outfit called Rhy Davis.

Yep, those are the ones that I was thinking of.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Probably just a typo there, but it's Rhys Davis out of Sidney, BC.
Derek

RandyH

Excuse me

grumpymoe

lmao at Randy.....make sure you dot the l's and cross the lees....er...tees....G rump  ;D ;D

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
So the big old herring from SuperStore will work good for Pike? I saw them on sale yesterday, but they were not frozen. Are these the same type of herring yall are talkin about? It's hard to find good big Pike bait here in Saskatoon. Smelts or Sardines. I really don't like Sardines. Looking for 20+ lbs pike at Tobin Lake. Any recomended size of herring. Thanks.

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
bigbait=bigfish

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Excuse me

I hope you didn't take offense...it wasn't my intent...I don't have a problem with typos or spelling errors most of the time, but if someone tried to search on the name or something it might not have worked that well.
Derek

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Hokay - I just phoned the North King Bait Co. to find out where they were located, and where the herring came from.  They said the fish they package are Pacific Herring, caught off the shores of Vancouver Island, and packaged in different sizes.  The company is located in Campbell River, BC.   Interesting that our bait should have to come from so far away, but they must be effective because they are sold extensively for salmon and trout fishing in the Great Lakes.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
I think these are what he's talking about ;)  only these are from the other side of the border ;)

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
nice herring!!! ;D

Offline Deeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
 Thanks for looking into that Skiff! 
   So..... I wonder if the local Herring are just as good?  I guess we'll just have to try both one day and see what works best. I would imagine the local herring (tulibee) would be just as good (or better hopefully).

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Gents,
Hey here's a little recipe for curing up your herring.  Not all herring are firm enough to fish, so this will help ya out.

OK, first things first....  Salt will "firm" up your fish!  If you leave them in fresh water, they will soften up.   

I posted this recipe on MyFishFinder about 2 years ago... I learned it from a charter boat capt. in Puget Sound who was our fishing club president.  It's a great little trick to keep bait on your hook and not frozen on the ice.

This recipe is fantastic for salt curing smelt, herring, alewives, and sardines!!! 
First get your bait and never let it get warm.  Warm bait will start to deteriarate rapidly which leaves you with mushy bait that's hard to thread on a hook.

1.  Take a cooler and fill it with 2 1/2 gallons of ice cold "non-chlorinated" water.  If you don't have a way to remove the chlorine, leave the water out on the counter overnight and it will be gone by morning.

2.  Mix about 3 Tbls. of Mrs. Stewarts liquid blueing into the water.  This will give the fish a really shiney look that is quite impressive!  If you can't get liquid blueing, try green food coloring, but it's not as productive.

3.  Mix in 4 cups of Non-Iodized salt, rock, or even kosher salt until diluted.

4.  1 cup of powdered milk.  This will help keep the fish firm and fresh, and helps if your working with soft fish.

5.  Let the fish sit a couple hours or a couple days.  You can add chopped garlic, garlic oil, or about 2 tbls. of anise oil for extra flavoring. 

This recipe is a bit labor intensive, but trust me it's worth it!  You should wait until after the fish have firmed up before performing any cuts for the purpose of cut-plugging etc... 

;)Enjoy!  Barleydog   

TEAM ALASKA

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is this recipe for fresh bait or can they be frozen afterward? Are they to stay in the solution at all times. Can a guy experiment with diff food colors? Thanks.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Fresh is firm enough you don't have to mess with this recipe.  I use it on frozen herring only.  Keeping it cold is really key!  You can take them out of the solution and pack in a little salt if you want...  Or leave it in the solution either way, they remain firmer than straight frozen fish.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
I've used them in the past but found to have better luck with smelt. I like my baits to be at least 8in in length.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.