Author Topic: trout ponds around winnipeg  (Read 6315 times)

Offline bite king

• Team IceShanty Regular
trout ponds around winnipeg
« on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:51 PM »
alright i have read so many listings of people fishing around the city for trout. but what would you say that is the best lake for trout? i have been to Fort Whyte and it is just about useless because all the lakes flooded in to each other and the pike are beginning to take over. i have not been to Reynolds or garson, but go to Lyons lake which is always hit and miss. if you have any input it would be very much appreciated.

thank you and good luck this weekend!!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: trout ponds around winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2005, 08:00 PM »
The trout lake (Cargill) at Ft. Whyte winterkilled a couple winters ago.  There are supposedly trout in Kingfisher (Bird's Hill Park), but that lake has been taking a lot of pressure.  I've been to Reynolds and had fun there (not this year yet though).  That pretty much sums up my experience.  There are other places I'd like to try, but have no experience with them yet.

I think trout are pretty much hit and miss, not just on a particular body of water.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline bite king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2005, 08:43 PM »
thanks alot thriller, i know what you mean the fort whyte lake used to be a sure be about 6 years ago but now i cannot even rough up one. it is too bad.

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:41 PM »
There's a lot of pike in there in the 5 pound range...I got one last year...we didn't do too well fishing, but when the kids stopped they just moved over to the big slide...when cold, we went in for hot chocolate...Tip-Up on the forum here is a bigwig over there (forget his actual title...sorry).  It's a fun place to go and closer than anything else. 

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Swayze

• IceShanty Rookie
  • me like fish
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:56 AM »
I fished 4 years straight in the summer for Trout, Lyons lake has never been a hit and miss for me.  This year they stocked 300 adults into it, every time I went I cought at lease one  17'' Rainbow!  That is your best bet for this year.How ever they have also stocked the hell out of Reynold's this year with one hundered adult Browns stocked in 6 of the nine ponds, they put 175 in one of them. This year is the best year I've hade there for four years,  That is why my first ICE outing is going to be at Reynold's this week end.  Hope this has helped a little. 

P.S.  you can catch Trout any Trout pond easily if you use the thin line and small hooks, also Trough don't like metal, cover your hooks!!!
Swayze

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.