Author Topic: Falcon Lake Derby  (Read 7284 times)

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Falcon Lake Derby
« on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Just wondering if there is going to be any ice shanty guys out there for the derby??

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Falcon Lake Derby
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Might do falcon again. Have been there the past 4 years. Will not be doing the Dauphin one after the cheating that went on last year. Rules state one hole one line but the person who won the derby could not land the fish so another guy comes over with his line and a big treble hook and snags the pike in the hole and now you have 2 lines in one hole and 2 people in one hole and then the organizers let both of the cheaters split the top prize. Not good in my books. Alot of people complained to the MNR but nothing happened

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Might do falcon again. Have been there the past 4 years. Will not be doing the Dauphin one after the cheating that went on last year. Rules state one hole one line but the person who won the derby could not land the fish so another guy comes over with his line and a big treble hook and snags the pike in the hole and now you have 2 lines in one hole and 2 people in one hole and then the organizers let both of the cheaters split the top prize. Not good in my books. Alot of people complained to the MNR but nothing happened

The anglers who cheated last year should have been disqualified, and the runner up should have won. thats the way i think it should have been.

Offline gmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2010, 02:25 PM »
I'll be out at the falcon derby

-gmoney

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2010, 06:12 PM »
I'll be there.

Offline wallys1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2010, 11:08 AM »
I'll be there.
Ill Be there ! wallys1

Offline fishncamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2010, 12:27 PM »
I'll be there too. 8)

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Is the derby still on with this warm weather?  Is is BYOB?  Bring your own boat?

5X
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline Ryan M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2010, 09:19 PM »
There is no way that the ice will melt in a week. There will be no water or slush on the ice. It will be sheer ice and slippery, bring cleats! ;)

Offline bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to Fish
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2010, 11:07 PM »
There is no way that the ice will melt in a week. There will be no water or slush on the ice. It will be sheer ice and slippery, bring cleats! ;)

Ryan it will be a great derby only the chickens will missed it?

Offline Ryan M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2010, 11:26 PM »
Ryan it will be a great derby only the chickens will missed it?

Yep, making your odd's better!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:27 AM »
There will be no water or slush on the ice.
Ok ...you got me....how will this be possible  ???
I beg to differ.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:37 AM »
I spoke with Ryan M yesterday and am taking his word on the ice conditions.  If I remember,  I will take a picture of the area for everyone to see.  A picture is worth a 1000 words.  Oh ya!  I don't know how to photo shop either!!

5 X   
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:37 AM »
oh there will be slush! :tipup:
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Ok ...you got me....how will this be possible  ???
I beg to differ.

2000+ holes drilled the day before, I'd bet that the water will drain off the top pretty good.

Offline Ryan M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Speakin from experience.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2010, 08:03 PM »
another week of above zero temps im not so sure the organizers are gonna want to be on the hook for a thousand or so people on unsure ice, just my thoughts, i wouldnt be so sure that it will be on...it may but just wouldnt be so sure

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:15 PM »

This is the veiw from the West side.  Where the beach is there is a little water on shore (about a foot from shore to ice).  There wasn't a soul on the ice so I wasn't about to venture out with my 3 and 6 year old!  
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline Ryan M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:33 PM »
By our phone call you made me think there all a sudden there was no shoreline, i was puzzled. Then i look at these pics and it's exactly what a would think the ice should look like! The ice was and is safe. Im drivin out there tommorow.

Offline Aaron Wiebe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walter
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2010, 10:12 PM »
stay away from creeks or any kind of current! but the lake ice at falcon is guaranteed as thick as it was all winter still. it actually looks better than I thought it would. before the ice can even start rotting, all the snow needs to melt off the top, then the surface will look totally black, and then you only have a week or two left to fish.

with another week of warm weather there could likely be a bit of water on the edges, but the ice will be completely safe for several weeks yet.

the best part of the icefishing season is just beginning guys!!!!  ;D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2010, 12:13 AM »
By our phone call you made me think there all a sudden there was no shoreline, i was puzzled. Then i look at these pics and it's exactly what a would think the ice should look like! The ice was and is safe. Im drivin out there tommorow.
As for our first conversation you said to go where the beach is or were other people are. You said there should be people fishing. I told you I have never been there before.  When you see a sign like in the picture and not a soul in sight it makes you think twice!  I'm not saying it isn't safe, just I'm not going on the ice blindly with my kids!  I have no clue as to why there was nobody on the ice, so why take a chance if you don't know.
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to Fish
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2010, 06:18 AM »
As for our first conversation you said to go where the beach is or were other people are. You said there should be people fishing. I told you I have never been there before.  When you see a sign like in the picture and not a soul in sight it makes you think twice!  I'm not saying it isn't safe, just I'm not going on the ice blindly with my kids!  I have no clue as to why there was nobody on the ice, so why take a chance if you don't know.

5x Master Angler this ice should be safe this Weekend I have been on this lake some years in Mid April with Quads heading for Camp Lake to Fish

I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE TO0 MUCH LATE ICE EXPERIENCE ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline Big Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • To freeze or not To freeze
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2010, 06:59 AM »
As for our first conversation you said to go where the beach is or were other people are. You said there should be people fishing. I told you I have never been there before.  When you see a sign like in the picture and not a soul in sight it makes you think twice!  I'm not saying it isn't safe, just I'm not going on the ice blindly with my kids!  I have no clue as to why there was nobody on the ice, so why take a chance if you don't know.

Hey 5x - good thinking, while I may have still ventured out on my own or with others that would be able to help rescue myself, not going on "new" ice that you don't know with kids is a good idea. Fish are not worth the trauma that a kid may go through out there at this time of year.
"Its not what you do in life, Its how you react to it"
Fishing Terms -  You can fish all you want if you can keep you wife happy.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:26 AM »
5x Master Angler this ice should be safe this Weekend I have been on this lake some years in Mid April with Quads heading for Camp Lake to Fish

I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE TO0 MUCH LATE ICE EXPERIENCE ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Like I said,  I've never fished the lake before.  I usually fish the Red River.  I also fish little lakes in the Turtle Mountains.  With these lakes I know where the airators are and where the ice is weaker.  My boss at work was telling me he used to fish Falcon when he was a kid.  He said there is a stream that feeds the lake.  Where is it and is it a place to be avoided?     
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:36 AM »
Hey 5x - good thinking, while I may have still ventured out on my own or with others that would be able to help rescue myself, not going on "new" ice that you don't know with kids is a good idea. Fish are not worth the trauma that a kid may go through out there at this time of year.
I agree 100% with Big Dog.
To err on the side of caution is always the best advice.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:38 AM »
I agree 100% with Big Dog.
To err on the side of caution is always the best advice.

Thanks Blue. 
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2010, 06:49 PM »
I can't believe you ppl are even discussing this, especially some who I considered to be seasoned ice veterans  ::) Have you never seen snow melt on ice before  ???

I just spent 3 days and nights out on Falcon in a full size truck AND 1500 lb camper! LOL I don't think I've ever seen such beautiful CLEAR BLUE ice (under that bit of remaining slush) on that lake before.

Trust me folks...you could drive a bus across that ice still (and next weekend too)!  ;)

Offline bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to Fish
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:09 PM »
I can't believe you ppl are even discussing this, especially some who I considered to be seasoned ice veterans  ::) Have you never seen snow melt on ice before  ???

I just spent 3 days and nights out on Falcon in a full size truck AND 1500 lb camper! LOL I don't think I've ever seen such beautiful CLEAR BLUE ice (under that bit of remaining slush) on that lake before.

Trust me folks...you could drive a bus across that ice still (and next weekend too)!  ;)
++

Your Right Tip-Up when I see a little snow on the ice we have still have a couple of good weeks of ice

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Keep in mind 5X, the edges will melt out first usually, Its a combination of the dark shore line melting it out faster and also the ice lifting with the run off! This also does not apply to all lakes but seems to be the usuall activity. I have either hopped across or searched for spots to get on many times, always seem to find a way. But I have also seen the shoreline hold well and the ice honeycomb or crystal! There was talk about this in a previous post, and caution is a must at this point! I grew up with my dad having a trap line on Libau marsh so I have seen the worst possibility's of ice. One day on snow machines and 2 days later in canoes!
I agree with you point of view though about the kids. Not worth it! If you have your doubts play it safe!

Offline Ryan M

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:00 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.