Author Topic: eskimo ice augers  (Read 7898 times)

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
eskimo ice augers
« on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:58 PM »
thinkin about buyin one just curious to hear reports from the people that have one.  are they close to a jiffy?  lookin to buy a 10" not sure how many cc's to get, would like to hear some reports from you guys

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: eskimo ice augers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:36 PM »
the fishing hole has some.i talk to the guy there and he said they are selling because of the change to jiffy's.i got a jiffy in the USA on the weekend for 300.00 it has a 8" auger.i tried it today and it started in one pull and cut real fast.i did start it at home yesterday.in the states they said the same thing about the Eskimo.the husband of a friend said they tried the Eskimo,they commercial fish,and that the Eskimo is not worth buying,not very smooth running,hard to start at times, rough running.jiffy has a new moter since Tecumseh closed and you can't get the old ones fixed even if they still have a warranty.

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2010, 07:50 PM »
.jiffy has a new moter since Tecumseh closed and you can't get the old ones fixed even if they still have a warranty.

Not true!
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:06 PM »
a friend tried at cummins and they siad they can,t get parts and won't gt paid

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Someone please clarify that we will not run out of parts for the older jiffy's???

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:20 PM »
a friend tried at cummins and they siad they can,t get parts and won't gt paid

No problems at Yetman's, had my carbs set up under warranty there in January on a STX bought last March.
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline Eskiman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:21 PM »
I just got my Eskimo this year but so far it's been great.  Starts on the first pull just about every time.  I've got the Z51 8" and was told it would cut just fine with a 10" on it but would probably go up to the Z71 just the same.
If I was a fish, I'd hate me to.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2010, 08:40 PM »
either way tecumseh is gone,good luck with the old ones.did you get parts with that setup?

Offline landlockedviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:29 PM »
Buddy of mine has an 8" Eskimo 32 or 34cc, my Jiffy is 4 times faster cutting ice, I swear I could cut ice faster with a hand auger. Not sure if he just got a lemon but it seems way under powered!

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:32 PM »
cosco had them this year,i think the bigger one was 54cc

Offline buckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:52 PM »
buddy has a eskimo sting ray 8  lotta noise  very slow   i have a jiffy legend  9 inch ripper blades  spits ice like a madman

Offline golden eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:30 PM »
hey buckster i dont believe you?like a mad man.really.come out on sunday to the lake and show me about 25 holes to make me a  believer.lol then maybe i will believe you.bye the way pack a lunch.i like smoked turkey on rye with some mustard.lol
something cool to drink would be nice to.lol

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:38 PM »
I just got my Eskimo this year but so far it's been great.  Starts on the first pull just about every time.  I've got the Z51 8" and was told it would cut just fine with a 10" on it but would probably go up to the Z71 just the same.
I bought the Z51 10" from Bob at Pro Am this year and that thing is awsome...cuts holes like nothing and is very easy to start......you can go to a 10" flight with your Z51 no problem!

Offline gillishammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy fishy fishy
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:39 AM »
Nothing wrong with Eskimo !!!!I got the mako 8" sure it's nice to be loyal to brands,but I'm not about to sack jiffy or any other brand just because I own an Eskimo.as I said.... I got my Eskimo over a yr ago and drilled hundreds of holes without sharpening the blades yet,1-2 pulls and no problems.I was out with a guy who had a 3hp jiffy legend with the tesc motor and it took 5min to cut 1 hole.maybe it was dull or an old lemon but yet I still don't sack it.I'm just greatful that MY auger cuts like a gem.I'm sure that every brand has it's lemons with mass production,all I'm saying is that I'm happy thus far with my Eskimo.that is all.good luck with your purchase
GILLISHAMMER

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2010, 02:03 AM »
I bought the eskimo 8" mako this year and very happy with it, prime choke one pull and it starts, when warm no choke one pull starts. I think it has enough power to turn a 10"  Have heard stories about pull cord or rewind but think these problems are opperator caused.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to Fish
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2010, 05:42 AM »
I have the Big z71 eskimo what an auger

Offline GREEN-BACK-HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:46 AM »
thinkin about buyin one just curious to hear reports from the people that have one.  are they close to a jiffy?  lookin to buy a 10" not sure how many cc's to get, would like to hear some reports from you guys
buy a jiffy end of report

Offline GrandrapidsGizmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:54 AM »
After years with a Jiffy I bought 2 Eskimo 43CC 8" augers this year. I have about 200 holes each and both are still going strong.I put them through there paces every trip out and am throughly impressed. Way lighter than the Jiffy too, just as fast.I will see what kind of shape they are in at the end of the season, but for now they are great.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:04 AM »
A jiffy turns faster so if it doesn't cut as fast it has dull blades. I don't know if there is a huge difference in quality, I think most augers are built fairly cheaply, But I'm not saying they are all the same, I have a jiffy and probably would buy another. If you want the really good ones theres Nils and Husqvarna

Offline GrandrapidsGizmo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:44 AM »
A jiffy turns faster so if it doesn't cut as fast it has dull blades. I don't know if there is a huge difference in quality, I think most augers are built fairly cheaply, But I'm not saying they are all the same, I have a jiffy and probably would buy another. If you want the really good ones theres Nils and Husqvarna
Just because it turns faster does not mean it cuts faster. The Strikemaster 224 4 blade cut faster than anything, but it had such a bite "bite" that guys were dislocting there shoulders when it hit the bottom of the hole. I had a Strikemaster for a year- it was faster than any of my Jiffys but blew the motor within a year.

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:00 AM »
I bought mine brand new from a guy that won it and doesn't fish. It's a small motor, 8 in and runs and cuts great. I've had it for about 5 yrs. It's lighter then a Jiffy and easier for me to use. Not as fast as a lot of others, but hey, I've got all day. Anything's better then drilling by hand.
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2010, 02:12 PM »
thanks for the info guys gonna do some price shopping and gonna try out an eskimo

Offline EEE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Bought the eskimo mako 8in last yr from cosco and have nothing bad to say.........luv it!!! Starts on first pull on most days and cuts through the ice with ease.Never used a jiffy but have been quite pleased with the Eskimo........awsum buy!!!! :)

Offline Dr.Funk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Been looking for a new auger as well and had decided on the Eskimo Shark, but called around this morning and it appears that everybody is sold out of the 8" model.

Offline lipripprr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:35 PM »
bought a 10" mako last year and frankly it was a good decision. fished with a guy that had a bad jiffy(not saying they are all bad but this one couldn't be helped from new) and after all his problems bought the Eskimo. only problem last year everyone was sold out of extentions so made my own. Ran it into the sand once and it was done for the day(blades need to be extremely sharp). but with 500+ holes this auger is tough to beat. and still starts in 2 pulls

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:09 PM »
after a few phone calls to a few local outlets quickly realized that bob at pro am is the only one left with the 10" auger, went with a shark z51 hoping to test it out saturday. if your looking for an 8" i think there makos, not sure, the guy at sportsmans stop at corner of 59 and 44 has them on for 269 or 289 cant remember, he said there brand new units that had cracked guards which they replaced hes about 60 bucks cheaper than wpg

Offline treestandman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:31 PM »
Just wondering why you're looking at getting a 10"?

Offline MNTMAN12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:01 PM »
after a few phone calls to a few local outlets quickly realized that bob at pro am is the only one left with the 10" auger, went with a shark z51 hoping to test it out saturday. if your looking for an 8" i think there makos, not sure, the guy at sportsmans stop at corner of 59 and 44 has them on for 269 or 289 cant remember, he said there brand new units that had cracked guards which they replaced hes about 60 bucks cheaper than wpg
Be prepared to get excited after you drill your first hole Highland! ;)
I have one and LOVE it!

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:17 PM »
that guy on 44 always has something on sale.he used to have a store on main.INFO,banging your auger down into the ice to get it to drill will slow down the drilling,even if you get it sharpened.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:49 AM »
If I can make it out on Saturday we can put them head to head and see what the difference is? Should be no difference then my Jiffy, unless the stealth blades possibly? I was hoping you weren't coming home with an 8", cant stand those small holes! Will post the results of the Jiffy and Eskimo show down if it happens guys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.