Author Topic: What depth???  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
What depth???
« on: Dec 29, 2003, 07:02 PM »
I catch some pickerel by accident, but where do i put my bait to catch them? i know they are there, but are they near the bottom or what? Thanks in advance :)

NAD42

Re:What depth???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2003, 09:42 PM »
Hey pasquatch...before I hit the deep water for lakers...in the past, I iced some big pickerel right there out of veterans in bolton landing...just outstide the buoys...about 2 foot off the bottom...(or a bit above the weedline).

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2003, 08:15 AM »
I know right where you are talking about thanks. george WILL FREEZE this year. Temp drops to about 5 degrees on the tenth and stays that way :D :o

acsacmboy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2003, 09:23 AM »
the top of the weeds is where i always catch my pike and pickerel. they will swim by and snatch it right up.

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2003, 09:43 AM »
As a general rule I no longer target these fish, but in the past I spent many winters seeking pickerel exclusively in some of the finger lakes (western NY).  The setup we used with great success was to suspend your bait of choice about 2.5" to 3" off the bottom, or as previously stated just about the weedline.

I've also heard from other anglers that you can impact your success by the way you hook the bait.  Personally, I have always hooked my shiners just in front of the dorsal fin, but many people hook them just behind the same fin.

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2003, 07:30 PM »
Northerns ive targeted in Champlain before from 2 ft-10 ft of h20 ive put the bait anywherer from touching the bottom to just a foor under the ice  just remember if theres weeds put your bait above the weeds    these fish look up for the bait not down at least from waht ive experienced
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline love2fishnhuntNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2003, 08:34 PM »
2 years ago during the winni derby here in NH i couldn't get my bait down the hole. it was dark at first so i couldn't see my spool so i just thought my flag was broken, every time i set it up the flag would go right up, well i heard the spool flying and it kept going on, i'd land a fish, put a new shiner on and bang, fish would grab it right away, these were 2-4 pounders too so it was a lot of fun until i couldn't feel my fingers anymore, then it was a pain, but the second the sun came up and showed on the holes, the action slowed, but right above the weeds is the place to be, good luck

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:06 PM »
i go bout 18" from the bottom
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:13 AM »
Found that out, caught a 23"er yesterday, thanks ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.