The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fishing near permanent shacks?  (Read 5582 times)

Offline mzhoward

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing near permanent shacks?
« on: Jan 24, 2023, 07:02 PM »
What’s the maine unwritten rules about fishing near permanent ice shacks?

I specifically mean if you show up and they are in occupied.  They generally sit on the bet spots, especially in warm water lakes and ponds, right over the honey holes.
Mia it okay to set traps near them? How about around them?

I’ve always avoided them or stayed to one side, but I’ve been tempted to sit right next to one and fish in all directions.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing near permanent shacks?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2023, 07:24 PM »
Really, let me know where your fishing and I'll come sit in your lap, about one of the most ignorant statements I've seen.

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2023, 07:27 PM »
Shacks do not claim spots on the water. There is not an issue with fishing around an unoccupied shack at all (personally I would not completely crowd one)

With that being said I would be willing to move to a side a bit if they showed up, courtesy and respect go a long ways and it is a good way to meet new fishing buddies as well. The other thing to consider is the closer you are to some ones shack, the more likely someone is going to be a bit uneasy in todays world where a$$hats steal and break into other peoples shacks.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2023, 07:33 PM »
What’s the maine unwritten rules about fishing near permanent ice shacks?

I specifically mean if you show up and they are in occupied.  They generally sit on the bet spots, especially in warm water lakes and ponds, right over the honey holes.
Mia it okay to set traps near them? How about around them?

I’ve always avoided them or stayed to one side, but I’ve been tempted to sit right next to one and fish in all directions.

I look at this several ways. If its a dumpster fire of a pond, with heavy pressure, all the time, Ill set up a little closer to a shack in some cases. If I have the ability to set elsewhere, I will. I have a distance I try to stick to, 50-100 ft is my personal limit on a very popular lake. Only broke it a handful of times in my 20+ years of ice fishing. If its a large, less pressured lake,I  personally don't want to be that close to people, and see no reason set up around them. I ice fish to get away from people, not set up close enough to hear their conversations. Ive have many people over the years pack up and set right next to me because I was catching more fish. Im not one to make much of a scene, especially nowadays with all the crazy, unstable people running around. Don't want to get in a fire fight over a fishing spot. Just my .02.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline mzhoward

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2023, 08:16 PM »
Oops, original post should have read “if they are unoccupied.”

I am way too insecure to get within 50 yards of someone else’s set up.

Besides, I got enough kids already trying sit in my lap so I can put their mittens back on.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2023, 08:23 PM »
Oops, original post should have read “if they are unoccupied.”

I am way too insecure to get within 50 yards of someone else’s set up.

Besides, I got enough kids already trying sit in my lap so I can put their mittens back on.

Still wouldn't do it, never know when they may show up, I'm all about distancing from other people

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2023, 04:35 AM »
Went to a favorite fishing spot last year, 6 miles up the lake, and usually if there is someone there I'll move on but this time there was a rental shack there, didn't bother me to set up beside it ( not around it , no one in it).
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:04 AM »
If it isn't occupied...I sit wherever I want. The shack itself does not lay claim to that spot on the ice. Now, if someone shows up while I'm still there...I will probably move. Just a courtesy thing. But I certainly wouldn't have to. First come, first serve. If it was occupied, then I would treat it as if someone was sitting on a bucket without a shack. Typically, I fish no closer than 50' from someone. That's plenty of distance in my book.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:21 AM »
I say keep some distance from peoples shack . I had some hobo fisherman drill a hole 3 foot from my door when I wasn’t there. They used my shanty as a wind block. It wasn’t that cold out the next time out and my buddy stepped in the slushed over hole .

Offline shoeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:32 AM »
Really, let me know where your fishing and I'll come sit in your lap, about one of the most ignorant statements I've seen.
couldn’t agree more!!🤦🤦‍♂️

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:44 AM »
So, Say I've fished a coord for years, regularly. I come out and find a shack EXACTLY where I fish. The Strcuture is perfect. I wouldn't fish RIGHT next to the shack if occupied, but nearby, and would likely talk with the folks. If they aren't there. I'll fish where I want. It's not a friggin tree stand. I'd hunt that spot too, If I'd been there historically.... within reason.... and not in the stand.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline mdanforth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2023, 10:47 AM »
First come, first served…if you can’t get out of bed in time to get your spot, that’s your own fault…

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2023, 12:18 PM »
First come, first served…if you can’t get out of bed in time to get your spot, that’s your own fault…
My sentiments exactly

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2023, 01:08 PM »
A shack certainly does not claim any area around it, if it is occupied I treat it like I treat anyone else on the ice with respect and keep a good distance from it, as I would expect the same in return "doesnt always happen". If the shack is Not occupied I have no problem fishing close to it if I am marking fish, if the owner comes to their shack then they can fish in it but as far as I am concerned I was on the ice fishing before they got there and they should show me the same level of respect that I would show them if they beat me out there and were actively setup and fishing. Of course I would never drill a hole right outside the door or on top of the shack, common sense and good fishing etiquette should prevail.

An example to me of stupidity..... A few years back me and a couple of friends walked out about 4:00am in the dark on Sebago to fish the tournament. Someone had a portable hut up so we setup our area a very good distance from the hut which appeared to be empty. we drilled some holes around us in our area and setup. Shortly after sunrise the guys come out on the their sleds, what I did not know is someone drilled holes not far from where I was setup but they were just holes, no traps or any indication of someone fishing.... one of the guys came flying over to me yelling how close I was to his unused holes.... That to me is plain stupidity.... Also he did not win the argument and it almost turned into a full on fight, lucky for him that he decided to back off.... Again to me it is all common sense... tight lines everyone!!! enjoy this sport we all love!!  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2023, 04:39 PM »
This topic comes up every year, and the issue is one of the reasons I rarely ice fish anymore, especially for game fish.

The whole shack thing gets in my craw.  As far as I'm concerned, a structure on the ice doesn't give anyone more rights to a spot than relieving themselves and leaving a yellow stain.  That said, I won't be fishing anywhere near their precious monument. People are just too darn territorial, with game fish bringing out the absolute worst in people.  I have stories  aplenty, but one on a Central Maine lake stands out.  I arrived at the lake and found 2 guys fishing out of a shack in the general area I wanted to fish.  Before I cut a single hole, I talked with both of them about where I planned to fish and they were totally fine with it.  2 hours later, after I'd caught 5 togue, they were flagless and had a change of heart.  One guy came steaming over and blew up about "allowing"  me to fish so close.  Really....I asked first.  I'm not sure how it de-escalated, but honestly I wouldn't have cared if they had  thumped me.  I love the Wizard of Oz.....how about a little fire scarecrow.  A matter of self defense at that point.

Another time, a buddy and I drilled a few holes to jig for a few warm water fish.  We were a good 150 feet from an active shack  Out they came...."a little to close, aren't we?"  This time, my buddy got wound up.  I paced off some spots, a bit further out and got their "approval".  I told my buddy the best way to handle these guys was to fish circles around them, which we did. We added a "look at this hawg" shout to each sizable fish iced.

Another line of carp floating around is that people on foot follow the shacks around for spots.  Not in my experience.  I recall one time on thin,early ice when someone at a camp had the binocs trained on me.  I guess they couldn't deal with walking and sitting on a bucket, but sure as heck they dragged a shack right out as soon as the ice thickened.

On another outing, the owners of a distant shack got bored and decided to do donuts with their 4-wheeler in the corn ice all around me.  The driver was either stupid or a wise guy or both. He asks "how's the fishing?"  I just say "it's loud".  A few tense moments followed, but it tailed off.  I rubbed a few nice fish in their faces later.

I'll leave the sea stories there.  Most folks who know me think I'm a decent guy.  I avoid confrontation. I'm not real big and I'm long in the tooth, but have been known to bite and my most recent rabies test was inconclusive.  Hardwater can lead to hard time, and those sleep overs of yesteryear with the police aren't high on my list. 

End it with....no ill will, tight lines and I hope you enjoy your ice time.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2023, 04:49 PM »
This topic comes up every year, and the issue is one of the reasons I rarely ice fish anymore, especially for game fish.

The whole shack thing gets in my craw.  As far as I'm concerned, a structure on the ice doesn't give anyone more rights to a spot than relieving themselves and leaving a yellow stain.  That said, I won't be fishing anywhere near their precious monument. People are just too darn territorial, with game fish bringing out the absolute worst in people.  I have stories  aplenty, but one on a Central Maine lake stands out.  I arrived at the lake and found 2 guys fishing out of a shack in the general area I wanted to fish.  Before I cut a single hole, I talked with both of them about where I planned to fish and they were totally fine with it.  2 hours later, after I'd caught 5 togue, they were flagless and had a change of heart.  One guy came steaming over and blew up about "allowing"  me to fish so close.  Really....I asked first.  I'm not sure how it de-escalated, but honestly I wouldn't have cared if they had  thumped me.  I love the Wizard of Oz.....how about a little fire scarecrow.  A matter of self defense at that point.

Another time, a buddy and I drilled a few holes to jig for a few warm water fish.  We were a good 150 feet from an active shack  Out they came...."a little to close, aren't we?"  This time, my buddy got wound up.  I paced off some spots, a bit further out and got their "approval".  I told my buddy the best way to handle these guys was to fish circles around them, which we did. We added a "look at this hawg" shout to each sizable fish iced.

Another line of carp floating around is that people on foot follow the shacks around for spots.  Not in my experience.  I recall one time on thin,early ice when someone at a camp had the binocs trained on me.  I guess they couldn't deal with walking and sitting on a bucket, but sure as heck they dragged a shack right out as soon as the ice thickened.

On another outing, the owners of a distant shack got bored and decided to do donuts with their 4-wheeler in the corn ice all around me.  The driver was either stupid or a wise guy or both. He asks "how's the fishing?"  I just say "it's loud".  A few tense moments followed, but it tailed off.  I rubbed a few nice fish in their faces later.

I'll leave the sea stories there.  Most folks who know me think I'm a decent guy.  I avoid confrontation. I'm not real big and I'm long in the tooth, but have been known to bite and my most recent rabies test was inconclusive.  Hardwater can lead to hard time, and those sleep overs of yesteryear with the police aren't high on my list. 

End it with....no ill will, tight lines and I hope you enjoy your ice time.
🤣🤣 pretty sure that last incident had me involved which was many years ago. Pretty sure we contemplated calling the wardens lol.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:03 PM »
A shack certainly does not claim any area around it, if it is occupied I treat it like I treat anyone else on the ice with respect and keep a good distance from it, as I would expect the same in return "doesnt always happen". If the shack is Not occupied I have no problem fishing close to it if I am marking fish, if the owner comes to their shack then they can fish in it but as far as I am concerned I was on the ice fishing before they got there and they should show me the same level of respect that I would show them if they beat me out there and were actively setup and fishing. Of course I would never drill a hole right outside the door or on top of the shack, common sense and good fishing etiquette should prevail.

An example to me of stupidity..... A few years back me and a couple of friends walked out about 4:00am in the dark on Sebago to fish the tournament. Someone had a portable hut up so we setup our area a very good distance from the hut which appeared to be empty. we drilled some holes around us in our area and setup. Shortly after sunrise the guys come out on the their sleds, what I did not know is someone drilled holes not far from where I was setup but they were just holes, no traps or any indication of someone fishing.... one of the guys came flying over to me yelling how close I was to his unused holes.... That to me is plain stupidity.... Also he did not win the argument and it almost turned into a full on fight, lucky for him that he decided to back off.... Again to me it is all common sense... tight lines everyone!!! enjoy this sport we all love!!  :tipup: :tipup:

While I won't pretend to know ALL the rules and laws of any state...including my own...I'm gonna guess on this one: Any hole, old or new, open or closed, etc. that is "unoccupied" (meaning no tipup, Jawjacker, rod and reel or any other fishing device) is fair game. Period.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:18 PM »
While I won't pretend to know ALL the rules and laws of any state...including my own...I'm gonna guess on this one: Any hole, old or new, open or closed, etc. that is "unoccupied" (meaning no tipup, Jawjacker, rod and reel or any other fishing device) is fair game. Period.

The irony of this is that I didn’t even use his empty hole that he wasn’t even around to claim , I didn’t even see the holes as it was still kind of dark, I drilled my own and then he decided it was time to come back on the ice and fish and try to bully me…. Someone else said people get territorial and that is true but it’s not me. Having etiquette and respect for others is important to me and all I ask is the same I return.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:18 PM »
Yes, Nick, you were there ;D  You recall that time, other people recall other times, and some remind of times I've forgotten. I guess I have bad luck :o

🤣🤣 pretty sure that last incident had me involved which was many years ago. Pretty sure we contemplated calling the wardens lol.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:29 PM »
Yes, Nick, you were there ;D  You recall that time, other people recall other times, and some remind of times I've forgotten. I guess I have bad luck :o
Lol I had honestly forgot all about that time until you retold that story.

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:36 PM »
Pretty sad thread.
I like to treat others as I’d like to be treated by them, on the ice I like plenty of space. 
I don’t expect “my spot” to be open, if it is great, if not I’ll try another, karma.
If you have to ask, you’re too close.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2023, 05:49 PM »
Pretty sad thread.
I like to treat others as I’d like to be treated by them, on the ice I like plenty of space. 
I don’t expect “my spot” to be open, if it is great, if not I’ll try another, karma.
If you have to ask, you’re too close.

Absolutely, I expect to be crowded a bit during fishing derbies, even had a guy and his his kids that I invited to fish after we found lots of fish ask if he was too close. 

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:00 PM »
I ain't big enough to fight (fairly), but I trust my patience less every year. I hope it starts to swing the other way soon.

That said, I'm courteous and avoid confrontation as much as possible. The situation has never come up for me, but I imagine I'd regard it the same as open water: if I can read your shirt, or tell what beer you're drinking, we're too close. On the ice, I imagine I'd gauge it by 'of I can hit your property with a snowball, we're too close.

I'm willing to move if the space becomes occupied, it'll encourage me to try new new things in new places. But it will probably ruin my mood for the day, as the audacity of staking claim on a public lake is asinine. That 'manifest destiny' nonsense went out 150 years ago
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:27 PM »
My favorite spot on my favorite pond always has a shack there. The folks have been fishing it a long time. They are never there and I fish right next to it. If they are there I fish a different spot, far away.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:41 PM »
I won't fish close to a shack. By close, I mean closer than I would get to another boat in open water while casting lures. I think about 75-100 yards seems right in general. More on a big lake.

Having said that, although I try to live and let live, the fact that it's legal to leave them out for the season aggravates me. As others have said, it's simply staking a claim to public water enabled by the state. I own a hardside, and drag it out and back every day when I use it. Or just take the flipover.

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:44 PM »
To me it's all about having a good time. If I'm catching great. If not great as well. A nice peaceful day on the ice is what I'm looking for. And I agree. I don't want to be close to others.... Unless I know them. It's always nice to talk with anyone around that's looking to be friendly. Be respectful and be polite to everyone. But I always have something special for the bully/ tough guys that want to intimidate and run their mouths. It's terrible that people have to be that way.  And watch out for my 10" model 30 holes if you do come around  stay safe everyone. Tight lines!! ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2023, 08:02 PM »
One of my problems is that I have a LONG memory for the bad encounters.  I don't forget much ;)  It can be a blessing or a curse.

Lol I had honestly forgot all about that time until you retold that story.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2023, 08:44 PM »
The older I get, the more entitlement and audacity I experience on and off the ice! What makes one think it’s ok to enter somebody’s shack just because the door isn’t locked? As far as staking out a “prime spot” because someone put a shack on it, that’s just ridiculous! There are many more way important issues to whine about. Go fish a different spot, or go to a different impoundment if you can’t respect another person’s rights.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2023, 09:24 PM »
I've had guys set up right on me.  I actually like the competition.  There's nothing better than out fishing someone who sets right up on you.  Location is just one part of the equation.  If they out fish me then I start cooking some lunch and turn it into a learning opportunity. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2023, 07:27 AM »
We avoided a spot with tons of shacks one year and went and fished a random spot instead. well we set up for walleye (vermont Fishing) and next thing we know it was like someone rang a dinner bell and shanty after shanty started coming out. 5 came right at us, one literally drilled holes all around us Claiming our spot for when we left. THey did come and ask if we were there for the tournament first.  it was an all weekend fishing derby, we just were out to have some fun. Well by the time we decided to pack up 9:30 it was wall to wall fishermen we had to drive through everyone's tipup lines to get out.  Many unhappy people but what were we suppose to do, it was a clear drive when we set up. Lady dropped tip ups in our holes as soon as we picked up. apparently we set up on the honey hole by complete accident. We tried avoiding the shanty's but even then that didn't work. I hate fishing on derby weekends. If you are out there first I will avoid you, if you set a shack and it is empty i'm fishing where I want. You want to be alone get up earlier I guess. I never block in a shanty though, as they may always come out and they have a right to fish as their going to either way.....
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.