New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Using Swedish Pimples for Perch  (Read 12285 times)

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Using Swedish Pimples for Perch
« on: Feb 20, 2008, 07:59 PM »
I have read for years about guys having good luck for perch with Swedish Pimples.  I have tried it a few times over the years without much luck.  Anyone have any pointers?  Are certain sizes better than others?  Do you use different jigging techniques?  I figure I will give them another shot or two before I banish them from my tackle box.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline godofwar

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Using Swedish Pimples for Perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2008, 08:41 PM »
i have used it with spikes on it. have had ok luck with it, the hali seems to be the hot lure lately

Offline tightlineusny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:04 PM »
We have always had great luck with pimple's by tipping them with a perch eye or a minnow head....pimps are always a reliable source to catch fish.

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • what is it ? its fighting like a submarine
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:11 PM »
been jiggin a pimple since i was 5 or 6 years old.gota say its probly my fav.tip it with spikes,minnow head,live minnow, or a perch eye.or rig it with a stinger hook and use 2 different combinations.i probly have over 30 pimples in every size color and modification you can think of.mostly use size 6's and down for perch.i have also been switching most of my hooks to red ones.hope this helps you out in the search for the productive pimple.

Offline jiggin_ADK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:19 PM »
I've got to say that pimples are my #1 perch lures.     Just find your fav color and tip with spikes and get ready!  Really outfishes any other imo ;D
Good things come to those who bait

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2008, 12:08 AM »
That's all i use when I perch fish. Don't want to go too big. I just throw a fathead on it and let her lay a few inches off the bottom and jig it every once in a while...
It'll eat.

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2008, 05:07 AM »
Remember, pimpin' ain't easy.

Many times I'll tip a #6 gold or silver with a minnow head and lay it right on bottom. The slobs will just suck it in. Sometimes a good strike indicator is helpful. If no taps after 30 seconds or so, I'll SLOWLY raise it up about 2" and jig it a few times. Let it rest for a few seconds then I repeat the whole process. I believe that the jigging is the attractor and the resting is the trigger. Be patient. I've done very well with this method at Sodus. Hope this helps.

packerbacker
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2008, 06:58 AM »
Thanks for all the tips, guys!  Maybe I'll give it another shot.  In addition to a small silver one with orange, I also have one in my box that is a size 3.  Seems pretty big for perch.  Maybe that size is meant for walleyes?

Offline GM2500HD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:38 PM »
Try using a 3 way swivel about 18" above the pimple , run a 6" line off that with a tear drop. Rigg both lures with bait and jig right off the bottom.
Good luck!
You'll find me over the deep water.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:44 PM »
been jiggin a pimple since i was 5 or 6 years old.gota say its probly my fav.tip it with spikes,minnow head,live minnow, or a perch eye.or rig it with a stinger hook and use 2 different combinations.i probly have over 30 pimples in every size color and modification you can think of.mostly use size 6's and down for perch.i have also been switching most of my hooks to red ones.hope this helps you out in the search for the productive pimple.

Are you using red treble hooks or single hooks and what size hooks are you using?

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2008, 07:45 PM »
I love pimples for deep water perch gets down fast and almost always productive . Great search lure sometimes the fish wont want it but a pimple flashing in front of them is almost impossible to pass up. Cut some holes and move until you find them   then adjust    good luck have fun

Offline gpn50

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get out of the chair!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2008, 08:30 PM »
Using pimples for years, #3 in silver with a single hook....end of story!

Offline gunnerdk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:23 PM »
swedish pimples are my go to lure for perch, Tip them with a perch eye or grubs and you can't go wrong. They get to the bottom fast and you seem to get good hook sets.

Tight lines!!

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:28 PM »
I'm sure I have caught more perch on Swedish Pimples than any other lure. I use the smallest size, silver with chartreuse tape, gold, white, or silver with orange, tipped with any type of grub, depending what they are in the mood for, a live emerald or a perch eye. Drop it to the bottom, bounce the bottom a few times , jig it up a few inches and let it sit 30 seconds, Lift one to two feet, drop and repeat. When they are aggressive they will come up and grab it before it hits the bottom. When they are sluggish you can usually elicit a bite if you keep jigging it up a little at a time. Always the first lure I try when going for perch. If you don't want yours, send them my way.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2008, 11:34 PM »

Been using 'em awhile know too J. Reallyn are a good lure. Fishing has been slowwww around us, Ibay especially since the last front. Yesterday the only one they would take was a pimple. Black and hammered copper were the two and like they said right on the bottom when its slow and wiggle it a little every so often and lay it back down. When there hitting well the big lift and drop gets the big ones for me........Try 'em again for sure! :tipup:

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2008, 12:02 AM »
#5 chrome w/red sticker single hook w/perch eye!
JACK OF ALL SPECIES, MASTER OF NONE!

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:36 AM »
I am hooked on the halis have had good luck with them the past year but I always have some pimps in the box(hope that doesnt trigger the sensorship program) ;D :o
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:48 AM »
Pimples in smaller sizes work great.Chrome with pearl tape has worked great for me,chrome, or copper.Sometimes I just fish it "neked" with the trebles with no meat.If they're on the bite they'll grab iton the way down, or snapping it and let flutter down.If I find a weed bed I'll try to keep it at the top of the weeds and rip it through.That draws strikes usually from the bigger fish.If they're in a neutral mood and on a soft bottom I'll pound it to stir things up a bit and dead stick it, but I'll goto a single hook point with some meat.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:01 AM »
So, when you not jigging it (dead-sticking it), do you let it lay on the bottom, or have it a few inches/foot above bottom?

Do you tie the line directly to the jig, or do you use an o-oring to connect the lure to the line?

Tried it again yesterday afternoon with no luck, but then again nothing was biting well yesterday.

Offline windrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:07 AM »
I use the smaller sizes silver with green emerald tape red flickertale and single hook.I also put split ring between line and lure . split ring changes action of lure,check out difference on aquavu if you can.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:12 AM »
i use the smallest they make all the way up love the pimple mostly gold

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:15 AM »
I was hammering bluegills, rockbass, bass, and perch (out of the same hole) on a small silver/green pimple tipped with waxies two days ago BUT yesterday I couldn't get a darn thing to take it!  Different lakes demand different jigs/colors/baits.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:25 AM »
I take the spilt ring off,try with a loop knot,use small no.2's tip with minnow head, perch eye,waxy's or mags.I like to use a size 3 or 4 in deep water and  take the hook off and use a 3 or 4 inch dropper ,use a plain hook ,100 th jig head,or small small tear drop,baited with above baits,the Pimple draws them in,and take the smaller offering.

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:08 AM »
A Swedish Pimple is my #1 jig along with a 1/12oz. Kastmaster spoon.  I follow a similar jigging pattern as Packer and bounce it on the bottom and then dead stick it.  The jumbos suck it right in!  I also will give it two or thre swift jigs and drop it down just off the bottom.   I fish it with the treble and tip it with a niagara minnow head accept on mud bottoms I'll put a gob of spikes on it. Just my 2 cents... :tipup: 
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:15 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys!  I have been tying the jig directly to the line with a fisherman's knot.  I was wondering if that might kill some of the action.

From all the tips, it sounds like I ought to put the split ring on and tie it to that (I don't know know how tie a loop knot), bounce it off the bottom, and deadstick it a few inches off of the bottom.  I leave on the treble hook and usually tip them with minnows or spikes.

I'll give it a shot again this weekend, and let you know the results.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:10 PM »

If they won't take it when you deadstick a couple inches up from the bottom lay it on the bottom or maybe bring it up a foot. That's the point J keep mixing it up until you find they're strike zone for that day in that water. Different baits and different colors and sizes are preferences and the technique is vurtually the same for all. The little wiggle off the bottom followed by the deadstick  and the big lift and drop with a pause in between for the strike and the ever popular trial and error which your doing now, you'll get 'em! No luck, change it and don't frustrate yourself they probably just don't want it that day or where you are like any of 'em, happens to me often enough :tipup:. Good luck!

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:09 AM »
I use fas snaps on all my ice poles allows for quick changes and lets the lure move freely like a split ring.I love it when the bite is hot and the big ones suck your bait up as soon as it hits bottom!
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2008, 06:49 PM »
So I tried it again today.  At first, no action on it.  Then, I started to catch fish on it, and ended up catching twice as many on it then I did on my tear-drop jig.  Using the split ring and bouncing it off the bottom made all the difference.

Unfortunately, I lost the lure late in the day.  Not sure how.  I was checking my line and the lure was gone!  I have fireline on that rod, which is very hard to break.  I am thinking that the knot must have pulled out or something.

So I put on my bigger one.  Not nearly as many fish on it, but got a big one on it.

So I am officially sold.  Time to go out any buy some more for the tackle box!

Thanks for all the tips!

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2008, 07:12 PM »
ive been using them my whole life... today the ONLY jig that was getting perch was a white sweedish pimple for me... #2 with spikes caught one fish and with perch eyes caught the rest... also if you are ever in lake george u can use them in the same size with spikes to jig up sisco to use for laketrout bait... jigging with giant ones for laketrout sometimes works

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2008, 07:29 PM »
The knot may have slipped on your braid, try using a palomar tied to a small swivel, then hook the pimple to the swivel using the snap ring.  Here is a link to some knots: http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.