New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: THE 2nd Anual BEST CHALLENGE/ ICE TOURNEY AT CUBA LAKE  (Read 11215 times)

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: THE 2nd Anual BEST CHALLENGE/ ICE TOURNEY AT CUBA LAKE
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:31 PM »
March 11th.  gott'er marked down on the calendar.  Now if the wifey hasn't planned anything yet...  :blink:
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Ice at Cuba was still in great shape but the fish were not in a playful mood, 3 fish in half hour broke us off.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2006, 07:31 PM »
This cold temp. will keep the ice in good shape for the contest , I just hope these fish turn on a little for us.
  9 degrees now.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline PERCHKILLER30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2006, 09:36 AM »
i was out there saturday and sunday didnt do weel saturday but did pretty good sunday had 15 -20  10 -11 inchers tons of dinks both days though ill be down for the contest ive been down everyweeknd trying to figure out that lake its a tuff one
case lake tourney 5th in trout 2009- cuba lake 2005 biggest perch harwood lake tourney 2nd in crappie 2010

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #34 on: Feb 28, 2006, 01:35 PM »
SLOW GOING right now, hope they get into a pre spawn pattern 8)
Keep it up scott
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:28 AM »
I had another Crappie dinner Tonight , Thank you Cuba Lake.

Offline PERCHKILLER30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2006, 08:21 AM »
whats up wiz i really dont know you but we were talking a few weeks back i was in the red truck i believe its you i usually do pretty good on the perch and crappie where abouts do you fish for the tooothy critters if ya can help me out at all or if anyone can thanks
case lake tourney 5th in trout 2009- cuba lake 2005 biggest perch harwood lake tourney 2nd in crappie 2010

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2006, 08:33 AM »
We do better for them down toward the yachut club[bigger creek] where its only 13-17' deep sometimes in less.
 we also go toward the res. end a little more but if you go that way  DON"T GO ALONE AND CHECK THE ICE UNDERFOOT OFTEN it gets thin down that way, mostly past the last small stream that pours in[ or the fancy log home on your rt side]

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2006, 09:49 AM »
I'm attempting to make arragnements to at least fish Cuba the day of the event, however, I know that I will not be able to fish before noon so I will not be entering the contest.  Since the Conesus gathering fell threw, this will be my only chance to meet some  of the other members from this site.  Look forward to meeting/fishing with you guys!!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2006, 11:08 AM »
hey guys you might want to think about afterwards, the awards, beers and hagging out and maybe fishing later into the day.
last year we got snowed off the lake but it was nice to hang out and chat and meet some new folks!
So plan accordingly if ya have to, I got the go ahead from the wife so its coooool for me, staying in arcade or franklinville for the night.
Might even consider a alma run later in the pm for some fish.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Don't know about hanging in Franklinville or Arcade but im into hanging all day  and into the later part of the day at Cuba to eat, drink and fish w/o a doubt ;D.Just hope the fishing is better than it has been :-\. Utes

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2006, 05:36 AM »
I fished for a couple hours in the afternoon yesterday, found the ice to be 10'' - 13'' thick where I was.
   caught 2 nice crappies and lost a good size fish, didn't see it but it felt like a big perch.   there was about 3'' of snow on the ice and we are getting it good right now [local schools are closed].
   I see some guys a ways from me running for either tip-downs or tip-ups  non - stop,  must be quite a honey hole.

hali-man

« Reply #42 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:32 AM »
So plan accordingly if ya have to, I got the go ahead from the wife so its coooool for me, staying in arcade or franklinville for the night.
Look out! Rich is planning "one of those days" again!  ;)

It's snowing pretty hard here too, but who knows what a week will bring.
I'm thinking about coming down to Cuba this Sunday.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:46 AM »
I might not make it this sun, so if you go GOOD LUCK!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 02, 2006, 08:09 AM »
Don't know about hanging in Franklinville or Arcade but im into hanging all day  and into the later part of the day at Cuba to eat, drink and fish w/o a doubt ;D.Just hope the fishing is better than it has been :-\. Utes
Dan if were on the lake we should fish it till dark, alma may be a good pm choice. Iam only going to sleep in those locations not hang out with everyone.
Justing trying to get folks to thinks about the later part of the day if your going to be staying out that way.
Big fish you out there? sound good? PM me

Jean Cocteau

Offline PERCHKILLER30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2006, 11:02 AM »
thanks wiz i was down there last weekend did pretty good on the big perch no toothy critters though i been seening alot of guys use SARDINES what kind do you know by any chance and where abouts where those guys running for the tips ups at
                                            THANKS SHAWN

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2006, 12:06 PM »
   I see some guys a ways from me running for either tip-downs or tip-ups  non - stop,  must be quite a honey hole.
..windflags   ;D

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Perch killer, I won,t give out someone elses spot ,sorry...
 and  Gair-z it was calm that day with not much if any wind ;).

Offline PERCHKILLER30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2006, 04:27 PM »
thats cool ill find them i do well there anyways just wonderinf thats all how about the sardines do you know anything about those

hali-man

« Reply #49 on: Mar 04, 2006, 06:19 AM »
Some of us are going to be at the lake tomorrow.

Channel 7, boys!  :woot:

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2006, 03:35 PM »
I don't know about the sardines, but have heard they work well on other lakes. Maybe try some froken smelt from a grocery store also.  There is huge pike in Cuba, earlier this year Big Johny Ice got an 11'' perch with bite marks on it.

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Mar 04, 2006, 10:23 PM »
How's the ice holding up fellas?  how much black on'er?  hope it'll hold up for the Tourney.  I'd be happy with 6" of ice and 50 degrees..  :)   better than last years 12" of ice and snow squalls!   ;D   
gair-z

hali-man

« Reply #52 on: Mar 05, 2006, 03:51 AM »
There is huge pike in Cuba, earlier this year Big Johny Ice got an 11'' perch with bite marks on it.
Was he chewing on the damn perch again?
It's going to be a beautiful day- Come on down, S.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Mar 05, 2006, 07:48 PM »
The Tourney made todays paper , front page ;D, thanks to Pauly Malota, Whom also got his picture taken       [ Olean Times Hearld] sunday edition.

crowkiller

« Reply #54 on: Mar 05, 2006, 07:51 PM »
any pics of todays fish

Offline newiceking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 05, 2006, 08:17 PM »
thanks for the info on the tourny wiz. planning on being there for the fishing and some fun afterwards, meeting some of the guys from shanty.com
[img]http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss152/MeatHuter737/l_2daa0c58421d4e89949b42784be7c9c7.jpg/img]

hali-man

« Reply #56 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:19 AM »
I was on the lake all day yesterday and am confident the ice will hold up for Saturday. There's still 7"+... A little rain is only going to improve things, as the drag right now is tough!

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:03 AM »
Thanks for the info hali, do any good? let me know what ya got going for this weekend.
Good reports guys.
Do we have a start and end time?
wiz where ya thinking of putting up the registration table?

Jean Cocteau

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:21 AM »
Yes ,a reg table            Starting time will be 7:00am till 3:00 final measure will be at 3:30 period.
   If you can't make it to the measurement table by 3:30 your out. I will be reporting  on the radios often so every one gets a heads up.

Offline Big Johnny Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Do Something Ordinary!!
« Reply #59 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:52 AM »
Here is a link to the Olean Times article with the pic and short write-up:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.asp?brd=2725
Me fish a lot, and me have a problem....Inmate 0046

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.