New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2017 Saratoga Lake BS  (Read 12237 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
2017 Saratoga Lake BS
« on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Even though its still 2016 I'm starting this thread in anticipation.  If the wind would die down we would probably be iced over now.  It has been freezing with sheets of ice out to 100 yards most mornings, but the wind comes up and blows it in toward the shore.  I drove along the north end of the lake this morning (Fitch road) and there was really strange ice blown up near the shore.  Very rough, almost like waves had frozen in place.  In years past it has occasionally frozen a week before Christmas - it probably will this year since I'm headed to Mexico about then. 

Still a lot of geese and ducks working the lake although snow geese have been absent this fall.  I see the smaller diving ducks schooled up 100 yards out and think they must be on minnows of some sort - and make a mental note of where they were.  I have occasionally run into schools of golden shiners and big clouds of tiny perch when ice fishing, would love to locate some other bait and the fish chasing them.

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2017 Saratoga Lake BS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:21 PM »
I'm ready to go,  hopefully weather will cooperate soon just need these winds to die down for a few hrs I think the water is probably super chilled with all the wave action today,  Ice by christmas?

Offline lakesteve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:00 PM »
The lake level has just about finished dropping for the year and there is some ice along the shore lines where ponding occurs. We need a cold, windless night to ice over.

Check out my webcam from the south end of the lake. www.saratogalakecam.co m. I'm just past Mangino's on the South End.

When the lake freezes I will adjust the view towards Brown's Beach on the weekends like I did last year so that you can see the action. Cam is on 24/7 and updates when you refresh the page.

Also, please be respectful if headed out to Brown's Beach this year. They will be keeping a close eye on people leaving garbage behind or being disrespectful. They've been very accommodating and have not been charging for parking. The tavern will have brunch on Sunday's beginning at 10am. Stop in to show your appreciation and support them if you can. They plan on having an Ice Bar and I heard they are having the Electric City Motor Race again in late January if there is enough ice.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:50 PM »
The lake level has just about finished dropping for the year and there is some ice along the shore lines where ponding occurs. We need a cold, windless night to ice over.

Check out my webcam from the south end of the lake. www.saratogalakecam.co m. I'm just past Mangino's on the South End.

When the lake freezes I will adjust the view towards Brown's Beach on the weekends like I did last year so that you can see the action. Cam is on 24/7 and updates when you refresh the page.

Also, please be respectful if headed out to Brown's Beach this year. They will be keeping a close eye on people leaving garbage behind or being disrespectful. They've been very accommodating and have not been charging for parking. The tavern will have brunch on Sunday's beginning at 10am. Stop in to show your appreciation and support them if you can. They plan on having an Ice Bar and I heard they are having the Electric City Motor Race again in late January if there is enough ice.

Hi! Tried your cam. FYI: I get messages that that link is loaded with malware.

Offline chicken shoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:58 PM »

Thanks!! I don't like traveling so I'm stuck fishing a couple miles from my house which puts me at Saratoga Lake. I'll definitely be stopping in at Brown's Beach this year. I've never ice fished the south end of the lake before. I'll be sure to stop in the tavern as well. :)

Offline bwlin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2016, 07:13 AM »
South end looks iced up on cam lets hope weather this weekend doest set us back

Offline 518perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Excited to keep an eye on the lake with the Webcam. Sure beats driving up there just to see if we have ice.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:26 AM »
Lake did freeze last night, end to end.  Looks very fragile, a few small patches of open water could grow quickly if the wind comes up.

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2016, 10:06 AM »
I had a feelin the ole girl would freeze last night/this morning. Wind laid down and didnt take long! Terrible timing with the snow coming though! Might have to start over after sunday.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:36 AM »
There was steam coming up throughout the whole center this earlier a.m., as the sun barely started to come up. Very thin, but it's not supposed to be real windy (yet) and it's  not supposed to start snowing until after midnight. I'm not really sure how I feel about this (mixed feelings)...😕

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2016, 02:37 PM »
Thank you Lakesteve. That camera is great! :)

Offline Garufi518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2016, 04:47 PM »
Can't wait to get out on toga this year ...last year was so sketchy everywhere with the season we had

Offline 518perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:20 PM »
Anyone know how bad this weekends weather messed with the lake? Was hoping to get out soon but I don't think that's gonna happen. Any update would be appreciated.

Offline chicken shoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Anyone know how bad this weekends weather messed with the lake? Was hoping to get out soon but I don't think that's gonna happen. Any update would be appreciated.

Did a drive around the lake this afternoon. Middle and Mannings Cove is wide open. Hard to judge the other areas as there was quite abit of water on top of the ice. I would THINK that with the low temps tonight that the water on top of the ice will freeze. I so want to get on the lake. I'm thinking tomorrow I may give it a shot and see what is really there. This is only my second year ice fishing so I'll definitely be extra cautious. Bought a spud today for just such an occasion. ;)

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2016, 09:36 PM »
I also drove around the lake this afternoon. I posted in conditions. Certain areas might be good by this weekend. Crossing my fingers. Chicken shoot, I would wait until at least Wednesday. Friday early a.m. it froze and then had snow on it. I'm just making a suggestion since you said it's your second year on the ice. Better be safe than sorry. Just looking out man... someone went out on early ice on black lake and had to be rescued. Be Safe everyone.

Offline bwlin13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:53 AM »
Looks like it lock back up nicely :tipup:

Offline 518perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:14 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Just super anxious to get out on the ice. I'm playing it safe though and will probably wait until late the weekend.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Looking to try saratoga for the first time this year got located up in hudson falls for work

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline PSCfishingking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:46 PM »
Looking to try saratoga for the first time this year got located up in hudson falls for work
I just moved from HF to Saratoga.  While I am very excited to be within almost walking distance of the lake there are many more holes around here... I have always loved Brant myself... All said my first trip this year will surely be Saratoga.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2016, 11:09 PM »
I just moved from HF to Saratoga.  While I am very excited to be within almost walking distance of the lake there are many more holes around here... I have always loved Brant myself... All said my first trip this year will surely be Saratoga.

Nice yea Im trying to find some good crappie perch and walleye spots in the area... and try to get lucky with salmon out of LG lol

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2016, 02:37 PM »
Hoping to get out on Toga soon. With any kind of luck I'll do much better on the hard water than I did this season on the boat. Can't wait!
Rob

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2016, 03:06 PM »
Might have been someone on the south end in the last 24hrs, and I'd be willing to bet they stayed dry ;)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2016, 03:16 PM »
couple groups were out on the south end this afternoon. everything from snake hill north was suspect, need more cold

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2016, 05:28 PM »
Might have been someone on the south end in the last 24hrs, and I'd be willing to bet they stayed dry ;)
yup

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2016, 06:15 PM »
hmm and I'm off tommorrow... and thurs.. and fri...        ;D ;D ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:50 AM »
I wonder how the walleye fishing will be this winter. They put a hurtin on them this past spring, in the river. People were caught taking 3 times their legal limit. I watched full stringers being hauled out.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2016, 07:13 AM »
Should be interesting indeed. No ice through March 15 allowed the scavengers to have a field day. I didn't hear many walleye stories over the summer come to think of it

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2016, 07:38 AM »
Should be interesting indeed. No ice through March 15 allowed the scavengers to have a field day. I didn't hear many walleye stories over the summer come to think of it

Yeah same here. I heard a bunch of people talking about the scum bags taking 3-4 times the limit this spring. Nothing much over the summer.
Rob

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2016, 07:57 AM »
I wonder how the walleye fishing will be this winter. They put a hurtin on them this past spring, in the river. People were caught taking 3 times their legal limit. I watched full stringers being hauled out.

The walleye fishing on toga has gone to absolute crap since they started treating the weeds.  This is just a continuation of that.   I barely fish toga for walleyes anymore.   Plenty of other fish in good numbers to play with.

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2016, 02:32 PM »
I have tried numerous times to contact Saratoga Park Police, no one ever calls you back. Does anyone know the rules for ATV's on the lake absent of getting on at the boat launch which we all know seems to be how they get people? We have private access so was wondering if an ATV on the Lake is illegal in general.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.