New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Help support our new fishing club!  (Read 12438 times)

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
Help support our new fishing club!
« on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:12 PM »
My name is Brian Henry and I am the biology teacher at Broadalbin-Perth High School. We are a small, rural district just a few miles from the Great Sacandaga Lake. I have recently started a fishing club at our school to offer our students an opportunity to enjoy the natural resources that exist in their “backyard”. The response has been overwhelmingly positive. We currently have 40 students (both males and females) ready to participate in this club. I anticipate many more kids will join once word gets out about the experiences the current members are enjoying.

However, we are not an affluent district or community and we often struggle to fund and equip clubs such as this one. It is the reality of the socio-economic status we face daily.  The reason for this message is to reach out to people like you to ask for support. My hope is that you will be willing to donate fishing equipment to our club so the kids can enjoy the sport we all covet.

Although we would be more than happy to receive any donations that you are willing to send us, I do want to let you know what I think are important items for our club. Some of our members do have their own gear, but a majority of them do not.

Ice fishing:

·         Tip ups and ice poles

·         ice fishing line and terminal tackle

·         Augers

·         Sleds to carry equipment on the ice

·         Bait buckets

·         Pop up shelters

Open water fishing:

·         A variety of poles and reels

·         Fishing line and terminal tackle

·         Tackle boxes and bags

·         A variety of lures and jigs

Again, these items are merely suggestions and we are more than willing to accept any items you are willing to donate. We would gladly take second hand items, gear that has just been collecting dust in your garage, or maybe tackle that you have personally made. I would be very happy to share photos and experiences with you of our kids using the equipment and gear that you donate.

We hope that you will consider donating to our program. Please know that all contributions you make will positively impact our students and give them a chance to enjoy the comradery and love for the outdoors that fishing brings.

All donations can be dropped off at:

Broadalbin-Perth High School
100 Bridge Street
Broadalbin, NY 12025

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration and please feel free to contact me at (518) 954-2600 or [email protected] if you have any questions.

Offline Icicle1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help support our new fishing club!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:16 PM »
I can donate older unused working traps. Is shipping okay? 
Is it sometimes a fish being caught or you?

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Yes, shipping would be great.

you can ship to:

Broadalbin-Perth High School
Attn: Brian Henry
100 Bridge Street
Broadalbin, NY 12025

Thank you so much for your kindness! It is much appreciated by me and my students!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:59 AM »
I got two brand new boxes of ice fishing jigs I am willing to donate.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:01 AM »
Welcome to the site Brian and good luck with the fishing club..
Every school should have one....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:11 AM »
Welcome to the site Brian and good luck with the fishing club..
Every school should have one....
x2

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:14 AM »
im going to send some things out next week. i will work on it this weekend. wished there was more of this up here where i live.

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:21 AM »
Thank you very much for your support! I am looking forward to building great relationships with the fishing community on this site. Our school administrators enthusiastically endorsed our fishing club so I cant wait to get it going. The buzz around the school has been awesome!

Offline Gadway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:22 AM »
Welcome Brian, I watch those high school bass fishing shows and I say how cool would that have been growing up. Finally someone trying to get these kids back to the outdoors!!!  I have some Bass pro, Cabelas, and Dicks gift cards that have some residual balances on them I will send to you. Put me on record if you need a volunteer to drive the kids around in the boat and get on the BP Payroll I am in. Ha Ha  I do not think the kids are allowed to drive the boat at the high school level. I am assuming all bass related items will be fine.

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Thanks Gadway! All items at this point are welcome. Our long term goal is to establish a competitive fishing team at the school. And yes we may have to take you up on your offer to volunteer! As of this morning we have almost 50 kids signed up to participate!!!!

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Welcome Brian,

Man what an opportunity. Its good to see you getting the kids interested in something outdoors related. If i ever get anything to give i definately will, until then you can get ahold of me for some volunteer work if needed. This is a very cool idea. I like it!
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline Crappie Killr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:04 AM »
What a great idea, kinda jealous that I didn't have a fish club when I was in school. It's wonderful to see you are getting kids away from the video games/computers and back in to the outdoors. I have a bunch of older tip ups that I no longer use that I can give you, may need new line on them. I also have a couple poles, reels, bait buckets and a few other accessories that are just gathering dust. I drive thru Broadalbin every so often, can I just drop them off at the school?

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:14 AM »
And don't forget the summer site.. ;)
   http://www.myfishfinder.com/

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Thank you Crappie Killr. Yes you can drop off any of your donations to the high school. I have already informed the secretaries that donations will be arriving via drop offs and via mail.

I will be sure to check out the summer site too. I will also inform the kids about these website so they can become active contributors.

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:26 PM »
I ran a youth fishing club for a number of years (10+).  You may want to align with a nation group for liability and 501c3 status.  I worked with this organization and they are super people to work with.  http://www.teenanglers.org

They are very generous with donations.

Tell them Joe sent you.

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Thanks for the tip Joe. I will be sure to look into it.

Offline Gadway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2016, 09:37 AM »
Brian,
Does your school have a small engine program? I have a older big dog 10 inch Strikemaster Mag2000 that no one can seem to keep running, I have updated to electric augers. Blades may need sharpening, but if you can get someone to get it running its all yours. You will have to problems pulling a pike through that mammoth hole. If so I will be in Amsterdam next week I can drop it off.. Probably just needs like a carb kit or something.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2016, 09:43 AM »
I just mailed out 2 packages of icefishing jigs that I never opened to you guys.

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Thank you AdkRoy and Gadway!!!

Your help and generosity is much appreciated. We do not have a small engine program, but we have plenty of knowledgeable kids that would be happy to work on the auger. With the number of kids that could potentially join us for a day on the ice we will be drilling plenty of holes. Your auger would be a welcomed addition.

Thanks again and I hope everyone can spread the word for us. I will be posting photos of our trips and meetings once we get things rolling.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:58 PM »
I realize you are taking in anything available but just a question,what species are you targeting when ice fishing?

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2016, 03:29 PM »
We will be teaching the kids a variety of techniques from jigging to using tip ups. We will likely spend most of our time on Sacandaga because of its proximity so we will target pike, walleye, perch, and smallmouth bass. As we get settled and feel comfortable with the kids we hope to travel to other lakes to target specifically panfish, or lakers, etc. The sky is the limit. We just want to expose the kids to all disciplines. Thanks.

Offline BigT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2016, 10:27 PM »
I think this is a great program. I'll get a care package together for you and mail it out next week. Keep the kids fishin & keep them out of trouble. Thanks for your good work.

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:39 AM »
Thanks you Big T!
Your support is appreciated!

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2016, 03:10 PM »
Please follow our new high school fishing club on Twitter @BP_FishClub

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:49 PM »
A shoutout to @SteveCaporizzo for mentioning the BP Fish Club tonight on The News10 ABC newscast. How neat is that?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:50 PM »
A shoutout to @SteveCaporizzo for mentioning the BP Fish Club tonight on The News10 ABC newscast. How neat is that?

That's awesome!

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:32 PM »
[/url]

[/img]

Offline B-P Fish Club

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:42 PM »
A few pics of the kids that fished today. We fished on the Great Sacandaga Lake and the kids caught 15 fish....1 pike, 1 walleye, and 13 smallies.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:45 PM »
A few pics of the kids that fished today. We fished on the Great Sacandaga Lake and the kids caught 15 fish....1 pike, 1 walleye, and 13 smallies.
sounds like a good day!

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:06 AM »
Nice day to get the kids out.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.