New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: what's the strangest, scariest, bizarre experience you've had on the ice?  (Read 13831 times)

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
3) Fishing for an hour or so w/ my cousin, both of us on buckets jigging away and he says to me, "Hey, you know what sucks? There's yellow stuff all around me." Neither of us had taken a leak and there were guys on that spot the day before...
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
1993, fishing in Wabasha, MN - my friend (a grumpy old guy named Max) got angry with me cause he thought I stole a girl he liked. She had just moved on our street recently and had gotten both of our attention. Anyway, Max thought she liked him and he took her to dinner. Soon after, she had me over for dinner and (for me) some long missed, bedroom desert afterwards. When Max found out, he got so angry with me that he rammed his truck into my shed, while I was jigging in it, and pushed it all the way towards the unsafe ice. I managed to jump out just in time to see it sink.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
But i remember reading about some jack wagon in minnesota who took his brand new truck on the ice and his bird dog. They listed him as an ice fisherman in the news but i doubt it. Any how he was lighting half sticks of dynamite and throwing them to blow holes in the ice. His bird dog jumbed out of truck to retrieve what he was throwing. As a good dog would do. As the dog runs back toward him with said lit stick he panicked and shot dog with birdshot. Poor dog didnt know what to do and hid under truck. Kaboom. New truck gone and even worse the poor dog. Very sad story i love my dogs. Needless to say guy recieved plenty of tickets and hopefully jail time. Does anyone ever remember hearing this.
Don't worry.  No dogs were harmed in the making of this story.  It is an urban legend that was making the rounds on the internet some time ago (see: http://www.snopes.com/critters/cruelty/dynamite.asp).

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not got any real good ones of my own, other than a couple break throughs in thigh high water. But i remember reading about some jack wagon in minnesota who took his brand new truck on the ice and his bird dog. They listed him as an ice fisherman in the news but i doubt it. Any how he was lighting half sticks of dynamite and throwing them to blow holes in the ice. His bird dog jumbed out of truck to retrieve what he was throwing. As a good dog would do. As the dog runs back toward him with said lit stick he panicked and shot dog with birdshot. Poor dog didnt know what to do and hid under truck. Kaboom. New truck gone and even worse the poor dog. Very sad story i love my dogs. Needless to say guy recieved plenty of tickets and hopefully jail time. Does anyone ever remember hearing this.

I remember hearing it but it was basically a recycled joke making the rounds on the internet??
Ooops, sorry Joe I hadn't read your Post yet-you beat me to it!!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
1993, fishing in Wabasha, MN - my friend (a grumpy old guy named Max) got angry with me cause he thought I stole a girl he liked. She had just moved on our street recently and had gotten both of our attention. Anyway, Max thought she liked him and he took her to dinner. Soon after, she had me over for dinner and (for me) some long missed, bedroom desert afterwards. When Max found out, he got so angry with me that he rammed his truck into my shed, while I was jigging in it, and pushed it all the way towards the unsafe ice. I managed to jump out just in time to see it sink.

I believe the girl was Gina Lollabrigada (spelling??) in Grumpy Old Man 2 but maybe they stole that screen play from you??

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Res near me, drill a hole.   Water is down and there is a 3' gap between the ice and water...spooky!

Online wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I believe the girl was Gina Lollabrigada (spelling??) in Grumpy Old Man 2 but maybe they stole that screen play from you??
Ann Margaret in the first movie
Sophia Loren joined in the second

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
A few more:

1.  A few years ago we were fishing in Wilson Harbor on a very windy day.  One particular strong gust blew my tip-up out of the hole and sent it flying down the ice.  I started chasing after it, as it was heading towards the open water.  My fishing partners were laughing and cheering me on, and I was able to make a dive and catch it before it got to the open water.

2.  Last year we were fishing at Cranberry Pond, and is often the case, we were joined by some ice boats sailing their way around the lake.  We heard what sounded like a crash or muffled explosion off in the distance.  Didn't think much of it at first, but turned around a minute or two later and saw that one of those ice boats was zipping along the ice, and hit an open patch of water.  They hit it so hard, that it actually shattered and splintered their boat, and the guy went in the drink.  His buddies helped him get out and back to shore.  On our way out, we saw splintered pieces of wood tens of yards away from the open hole.  He must have really been flying when he nailed that hole.

3.  The biggest thing I ever caught ice fishing was a black lab.  I was jigging on a small pond when a walker and his dog came out.  His dog ran right up to me and under my line and then took off, pulling my line out of the hole and burying my jig in his fur.  I would have loved a new dog, but sadly he was out of season.

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good reading maninblack...maybe I'll see you out on the ice sometime!

Offline shimanoman45

• Team IceShanty Regular
Don't worry.  No dogs were harmed in the making of this story.  It is an urban legend that was making the rounds on the internet some time ago (see: http://www.snopes.com/critters/cruelty/dynamite.asp).
well thats good to know. I had only heard it once and never heard anything else about it.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice fishing out of Port Clinton, Ohio one year we had a coast guard helicopter land on the ice a few 100 yards from us and motioned to us to come over. The down wash from the blades made us crawl to the copter.  They told us we had to leave your gear and go with them now, because there was a large opening between us and the shore.  We said no and went back to our set-up.  They lifted off and hovered over us and using the loud speaker said we could not stay.  We did not feel any ice movement earlier or  see any shove in the distance so we kept fishing.   They got so close to us that the backwash from the blades destroyed our set-up and we decided to start in on our own.   They kept flying along side saying stop there is open water ahead.  Well, soon enough we saw nothing  but open water and white caps at least 1/4 mile split on 30" of ice.  We looked along the split and saw a bunch of people off in the distance so we started toward them.   When we got to them the ice was only opened about 10-12 feet and  there were at least 25 groups of fishermen with all kind of machines and gear.   One guy said I can skim across that narrow split and he tried but his skis on the snowmobile hit the edge on the other side and stopped his sled.   Snowmobile and dog sled with all his gear went to the bottom, the coast guard throw him a life ring and pulled him out.  All other fishermen instantly shout  off their machines and the coast guard started moving fishermen across the split with a hovercraft and the helicopter.  All machines and gear was left behind and we walked the last 1/2mile to shore.  Once on shore a few local guys said they were going to get a few 2X12X16' planks and use them to span the split.  The coast guard said the 1st recuse was free but if they have to come out and get any of us a 2nd time it would cost us.  Everyone pitched in and helped.   We slide 6 planks doubled up over the split and dragged each machine by ropes across the planks back to the safe side.  It took quit a few hours to move all the machines huts and dog sled but we got everything across.  And as I said earlier, the ice was 30" thick.  I do know one thing I will never go out on lake Erie with the wind in my back.

Perch Chacer

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
One year my brother and I were fishing in his shanty when all of a sudden flames shot out the woodstove door filling the shanty with smoke and soot. We had a chimney fire in the shanty  :woot: ! We dove out  the door and I took the following pictures. Luckily it did not catch the shanty on fire but we did have disassemble the stovepipe and clean it in the pouring rain. Everything in the shanty ,including us, was covered with soot and creosote. Just a friendly reminder to shanty owners with woodstoves, clean those stovepipes!

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
I can relate all of us going thru the ice. I believe it is like getting Christianed to hard water fishing. Yes I went thru. My deceased brother was a die harded fishermen that lived in Rochester NY. I always traveled from Buffalo to his house after work on a Friday and we would fish Saturday and Sunday. One Saturday we fished Cranberry Pond and it was slow. So he said let's check out the other ponds. We were passing Long Pong and he said lets try it after he mentioned nobody has been on it yet. We unloaded our sleds, jumped the guard rail and headed out. Not thinking to spud check the thickness we walked. We got about 75 to 100 yards from shore, he was out in front of me and me walking in his tracks, I went thru to my neck. Mind you he is short and built with me being talk and a little heavier. I remember he was to busy busting a gut rather than throwing me a rope to get my fat butt on the top side. I managed to get out and I ran to the truck. Soaking wet cold, teeth chattering, my gear still out there and he walks up and offers me a beer. Took a while to forgive him but now I laugh about it. LOVE AND MISS YA BRO..............
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good reading maninblack...maybe I'll see you out on the ice sometime!
Yeah, sounds like we fish a lot of the same waters!

i had tip ups fly out of the hole and the hook would catch on the edge of the hole and the tip up would fly across the ice until it was spooled.
I hope you can look back on that now and laugh.  That's pretty funny!

A few years ago, someone posted a story of a tip-up blowing out of the hole with a pickerel on the end of the line.  That's awesome!  An automatic tip-up, catches its own fish!

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
it was funny. the chair blowing across the lake made up for it lol
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ann Margaret in the first movie
Sophia Loren joined in the second

Thanks for the correction, you of course are right it was Sophia Loren-I seem to get all those good looking, old, gals mixed up (along with a lot of other stuff!!).

Offline burningdownthehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have two...

My first shanty (Clam 2000) was known for icing up if you took it out one day and neglected to set it up that night to dry. It was a chore getting those poles to extend the next day. I had it partially up on Blind Sodus with two heaters going inside. My rear end hit the prop pole and the shanty fell on top of the heater. I was inside and it was on fire. It did a number on the shanty...thankfully they were only going for $150 back then.

The second, and much more serious, was when I went through the ice with my four wheeler. My babysitter's son was on the back and we just happened to stop over an iced-over gas hole on Oneida Lake. The left two tires settled and I didn't think much of it since I figured I had just broken through the crust. Well, I looked over the edge and that is when the hole opened up. We were treading water in 20 ft of water before we knew it. We both managed to scramble out and had a long, cold (12 degrees and breezy) mile walk back to Williams Beach. We recovered everything except my Fish TV a few days later. Many thanks to the awesome peo,ple on here and my buddies John and Mitch who offered assistance with everything.

Forgot to mention...if you're wondering about my screen name, reference story #1 :)

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Forgot to mention...if you're wondering about my screen name, reference story #1 :)

I wondered where that name came from. Scary stuff.

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
Me and my father had a yellow Cessna land next to us on loon lake last year after buzzing us twice turned out they knew the people fishing next to us.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So back when I was in college I used to work at Apps (Oneida Lake) on the weekends and on breaks. There was another guy that helped out back then, think his name was Chris. Anyway, this day I was telling him about what gasholes were and how sometimes they were exposed and sometimes they weren't.

Later that day we headed out on the 4 wheeler towing Ricks big hauler (big trailer on skis from hauling shanties and people). We were planning on moving a couple of the shanties. It was snowing decent so we were having a tough time finding the shanties out in the middle of the lake. The ice was mostly bare with some blowing snow. Chris was driving and I was on the back facing forward. All of a sudden we come to a dead stop and get tossed off the wheeler and we slide across the glare ice. I look back and the hauler had broke through and caught a ski under the ice. The 4 wheeler was still up on the ice. I remember looking at Chris and saying, "now that is what a gashole looks like!!!".

We quickly got the hauler unhooked and got the 4 wheeler away from the gashole. The hauler was still sitting upright and stuck on the ice. So we headed back in and got my dad and Rick and some ropes and winches. We get back out there and the hauler was gone. It must have broke loose and sunk. We lost a power auger as well that was in the hauler.

Rick took it pretty well, at least we didn't lose the 4 wheeler too. We drank quite a few fish tank PBRs that night.

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was on silver lake in Wyoming county a few years back.  Ice was perfect no snow at all so I figured it was a good opportunity to walk a ways to try some new spots since the drag was so easy.  I had a cabi style shanty so I unfolded it got set up snd began fishing.  After an hour or so I saw the sun was now gone and an ominous dark cloud was coming.  I thought nothing of it but soon the wind picked up and I began to slowly slide until my hole had disappeared.  I quickly realized what was happening but too late.  When I opened the door to break down my hut I created a wind sail and I began moving quickly.  I thought quickly and decided if I dove out of the hut but held on it couldn't possibly drag me.  Wrong my hut was cruising down the lake with me holding on dragging behind it.  I had to wait till I reached shore a good 1/4 mile down the lake.  Folks having their morning coffee got a show that day.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline Mmartinez1721

• IceShanty Rookie
  • God Family Fishing
Thanks for the input guys opens your eyes too the endless possibilities of what can happen on the ice.. God bless and tight lines friends.
I Fish I Hunt I Live

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
One of the weirdest things happened a few years ago on one of the small Madison county lakes.  It was late winter and there was very little snow, and we were in the middle of a warm spell. The lake level had dropped quite a bit and we had to cross about 10-20 yards of lake bottom to get to the ice.  As we reached the ice you could see black things crawling slowly on the ice every 10-15 yards.  Our end of the lake was covered in crawfish that must have found themelves awake and high and dry and tried to make it back to the water.  I picked 25-30 of them and put them in my bucket with some water, and put a couple on tip-ups. No luck so I put the rest back in the lake.  Never saw that happen before or after and I've been ice fishing for about 50 years. My dad was with me and he had never seen that either.   The crows and sea gull had a feast that year for a couple days.

I was on Oneida Lake with a work mate 1 year and had walked a long way out when storm hit - neither one of us were that familiar with the lake and we couldn't see shore in any direction so we packed up all our gear and sat there till there was a slight break and we could see shore and high tailed it back.

Had a plane take off right on our tip-ups last year on Erieville res. - that might have been the only flags we got all day - haha.

Fell in once almost up to my waist on my way on the ice - minnows flying everywhere - picked everything up and fished for 3 1/2 hours
 - left when I knew I was wiggling my toes but couldn't feel them - took the whole ride home with the heat cranking to start to get some feeling back in them.

Good times !

That's awesome. Would have joined the gulls and made them a feast for myself!

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
I was on silver lake in Wyoming county a few years back.  Ice was perfect no snow at all so I figured it was a good opportunity to walk a ways to try some new spots since the drag was so easy.  I had a cabi style shanty so I unfolded it got set up snd began fishing.  After an hour or so I saw the sun was now gone and an ominous dark cloud was coming.  I thought nothing of it but soon the wind picked up and I began to slowly slide until my hole had disappeared.  I quickly realized what was happening but too late.  When I opened the door to break down my hut I created a wind sail and I began moving quickly.  I thought quickly and decided if I dove out of the hut but held on it couldn't possibly drag me.  Wrong my hut was cruising down the lake with me holding on dragging behind it.  I had to wait till I reached shore a good 1/4 mile down the lake.  Folks having their morning coffee got a show that day.
I know what that's like...
And yes fellas, I was referencing Grumpy Old Men earlier...

Offline chief10point

• Team IceShanty Addict
 here  is one for you   I live in maine I have icefished my whole life  about 20 years ago myself and 3 buddys on a sub zero superbowl sunday morning we headed to parker pond for some early morning fishing  with all kinds of ice we had fished this spot many times before but due to rain the days before the road to t he camp that we park at was all ice and undriveable so we choose to drive our 2 door car to our spot from the boat launch  still being dark out and a little water on the ice we headed across the lake    feeling uneasy cause I never drive out in vechicles on the ice I told everyone to roll down there windows thank god we did  we was coming to our spot something did not look right as we drove the car into a open pressure ridge that was about 60 feet wide  we went down about 40 feet thankfully we all finaly made it out the windows and surfaced in the middle of the hole and was able to get each other up on to the ice  now here is where it gets crazy  still being dark out we spot a camp that had lights on so we headed to it to get warm and get help  when we got to the camp there was nobody there we still went in and stripped down we took the bedding off to wrap up in and called the wardens and family  in front of the camp was a bunch of traps (tipups)  frozen in the ice there was a dog running around the camp and in the camp was a crockpot that was on and burnt seafood in it still no people the wardens came out took our statement  wardens were also wondering where the owners were we left them a note with our #s explaining what happened and that we would pay for any damages  a couple of days went by and the warden called me asking questions about the camp and if we had turned the heat up or if we made a fire in the wood stove ect. I thought oh no the camp burnt down or something   I asked him what was going on and he said the people that own the camp are still missing and they think they might be in the same hole that we drove into   sure enough our car was ontop of a jeep with the two owners a girlfriend and her 16 year old daughter  apparently they went for a night ride and went into the same hole as us unfortunately they did not make it out.   I have not driven on the ice in a car or truck since   

born to fish forced to work 

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wow that is truly an amazing story and I'm glad you guys made it out OK!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great stuff!

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
here  is one for you   I live in maine I have icefished my whole life  about 20 years ago myself and 3 buddys on a sub zero superbowl sunday morning we headed to parker pond for some early morning fishing  with all kinds of ice we had fished this spot many times before but due to rain the days before the road to t he camp that we park at was all ice and undriveable so we choose to drive our 2 door car to our spot from the boat launch  still being dark out and a little water on the ice we headed across the lake    feeling uneasy cause I never drive out in vechicles on the ice I told everyone to roll down there windows thank god we did  we was coming to our spot something did not look right as we drove the car into a open pressure ridge that was about 60 feet wide  we went down about 40 feet thankfully we all finaly made it out the windows and surfaced in the middle of the hole and was able to get each other up on to the ice  now here is where it gets crazy  still being dark out we spot a camp that had lights on so we headed to it to get warm and get help  when we got to the camp there was nobody there we still went in and stripped down we took the bedding off to wrap up in and called the wardens and family  in front of the camp was a bunch of traps (tipups)  frozen in the ice there was a dog running around the camp and in the camp was a crockpot that was on and burnt seafood in it still no people the wardens came out took our statement  wardens were also wondering where the owners were we left them a note with our #s explaining what happened and that we would pay for any damages  a couple of days went by and the warden called me asking questions about the camp and if we had turned the heat up or if we made a fire in the wood stove ect. I thought oh no the camp burnt down or something   I asked him what was going on and he said the people that own the camp are still missing and they think they might be in the same hole that we drove into   sure enough our car was ontop of a jeep with the two owners a girlfriend and her 16 year old daughter  apparently they went for a night ride and went into the same hole as us unfortunately they did not make it out.   I have not driven on the ice in a car or truck since
i think this one takes the cake... thats crazy!!!
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline raysyncar

• IceShanty Rookie
Chief10point, your story sent chills up my old spine. I would be changed for life no doubt. My story is shorter but more of a **censored** moment. I was walking out on the west end of dunham island on onieda lake where there was much sled and wheeler traffic and was following the tracks as I believed that was the safest route. WRONG. I was suddenly 4 feet shorter with my arms instinctively straight out. I climbed out of the hole with a little help and of course being an intelligent and logical man, I fished for three hours. The perch bite was on!!!!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
scarest thing i  ever  did  was  crappie fishing  next  to KP!  when   we  got   casting  and  flinging   bobbers  we  skeered   everyone  off   toad  harbor  :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.