New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: what's the strangest, scariest, bizarre experience you've had on the ice?  (Read 13809 times)

Offline 08fxnytro

• IceShanty Rookie
A good day of early ice fishing on Raquette Lake Dec. 2014 - pouring rain and so windy the tip-ups would blow out of the hole , partially helped along by the toilet bowl action of a lot of water on top of the ice.  We picked up just in time that day to save our tip-ups from going down the enlarged holes from the toilet action.  However the walk off was awesome - pitch black outside with a full moon and floating sleds.

Offline mossy100

• IceShanty Rookie
Several yrs ago was on camp dittmer in early january in my shanty. Heard shooting close by about 15 seconds later i heard a loud thud and felt something hit my tent. I poked my head outside  and found a dead goose laying on the ice.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
A good day of early ice fishing on Raquette Lake Dec. 2014 - pouring rain and so windy the tip-ups would blow out of the hole , partially helped along by the toilet bowl action of a lot of water on top of the ice.  We picked up just in time that day to save our tip-ups from going down the enlarged holes from the toilet action.  However the walk off was awesome - pitch black outside with a full moon and floating sleds.

years  ago  we  were  on a  crappie night bite in fulton  new York  and  it  started raining and  I mean raining  where  were  were  set up was  fine  but  we liked toward  shore and  it looked  wet ... walked   all the  way  in water  that  was half  way up our lacrosses  and  shantys floating ...then on the  way  back in we  realized  ...we can't  see any holes!  thank  goodness  it wasn't real  windy  or  cold .  but It was a bit  spooky

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
wouldn't say it was strange or scary but had a small plane land on the ice 100yds away, pilot then got out walked over and asked how the fishing was. ( Lake Erie) eastern basin.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
 A few years back, 2 guys stopped and yelled from shore and asked how thick ice was. We told them it was 6" and safe to come out. They went back to their car and got a big bag of rock salt and started to throw it out on the ice. We asked them what they were doing and they said (no lie) they were melting the ice to throw a couple of lines in the open water.
We still laugh about this to this day.

Offline krazykid

• IceShanty Rookie
Great thread some crazy stories.  I just got into ice fishin thanks to my buddy Smokinss on here and now im hooked!  So i dont have any good ice fishing stories yet but I have a crazy ice story none the less.

My buddy and I raced quads for a while and his camp over near Fayville Rd on the Sacandaga lake so we studded them up and ripped around the lake all the time.   One winter it was blue bird sky's and we were riding all day, went over to Lanzies to hang out at the drag strip.   Coming from the north we see clouds coming and knew a storm was on its way down.   So we decided we need to get back to camp which is across the widest part of the lake but dead east so its not that bad just head straight.

Now if you guys know this lake its dangerous on a normal day with all the heaves everywhere so you have to be very careful riding across the lake.   We got about half way across when the snow picked up and the storm hit us, came in way faster than we thought it would. We could see the wall of whiteout coming and we were about smack dead in the center of the lake.   Snow hit and we couldn't see eachother 5 feet apart, just hear the motors.  we stopped and decided to stick together in 2nd gear and be careful not to lose eachother and just head for land and then figure out where we are from there.   Every 5 minutes we would hear a sled coming at a suicidal pace and buzz past us probably no more than 20-30 feet away.  It was sketchy.   We rode and rode and must have slowly turned to the left a bit because we couldn't find land, then all of a sudden we almost ran straight into one of the concrete pillars to the Edinburgh bridge!  about 8-9 miles away from where we hit the storm and we over shot the camp by 6 miles! somehow we made a long sweeping 8 mile arc and never saw land.   We got turned around and followed the shore line, and not more than 1 mile back into the crawl home I hit reserve on my machine, then he hit reserve on his.   we made it back to camp just as the storm started to lift and both ran out of gas when we hit the beach at the camp.

thats all i got sofar but I am sure ill have some nutty stuff to post about the more i get out there.  My name isnt krazykid for nothing! lol

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
One time when I was a kid I was out on oneida with my dads buddy we came to a pressure crack that was wide open the ice was forming a v about 6ft under the ice well we both got of the sled and began checking for a place to cross and his sled was old and to keep it running he had the idol tirned way up and without or weight on the slef it drove its self right in the crack and down it went it got hung up on the ice but was totally under he got it later that day with some help

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.