New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fishing Sandy Pond  (Read 11025 times)

bonkfan14

Re: Fishing Sandy Pond
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I'm planning on driving the 2 hours it takes to get to Sandy Pond in the morning.  Any recent updates on ice and fishing conditions would be appreciated.  We are planning on fishing west of the Wigwam (straight down the hill from the Sportsman Club).
pm jigger he is the man up there...he wont stear you wrong...zeke

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:07 AM »
Thanks Jigger,

I have gotten bait a Woody's couple times before but both times they were all cold shocked by the time I got to Sandy Pond.  I usually get my minnows at Maple Run but I was hoping you knew of some place new that I was unaware of.

Tight Lines
Ranger :tipup:

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:34 AM »
I'm looking to fish Sandy Pond this Friday or Sat.  I have never fished there before.  Does anyone have any advice they are willing to share?  What works?  Where to start?  I'll probably go off at Green Point.
Thanks
Steve

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:43 AM »
I'm looking to fish Sandy Pond this Friday or Sat.  I have never fished there before.  Does anyone have any advice they are willing to share?  What works?  Where to start?  I'll probably go off at Green Point.
Thanks
Steve

Pike, perch or bluegills?

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:47 AM »
Pike, perch or bluegills?

Yes  ;D
I'm such a newbie I would be happy catching anything.  What I had in mind was to shoot for perch or bluegills or crappies, what ever I could find and setup a couple of tip-ups for pike to see what happens.  Do perch, crappies and bluegills get found in the same area or do they isoloate from each other.  Thanks Ranger

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:50 AM »
Hmmmmmm?  All three eh?

Before I make my suggestions where are you coming from?

Ranger

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:53 AM »
Hmmmmmm?  All three eh?

Before I make my suggestions where are you coming from?

Ranger
Ranger, I will be coming from Oswego.  I would like to get into some crappies.  I have never caught them before.

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:01 PM »
Go to Port Ontario then north on Rte 3.  Go past the flashing light and look for Greene point, they have a place you can park for $5.  If you go north of Greene Point you are in Renshaw Bay.  The north side of Renshaw is a great place to fish for bluegills.  The south side of Renshaw is good for Pike and Perch.  If turn left at the flashing light I mentioned earlier you can catch a bunch of perch in front of the Wigwam Restaurant.

I wish I was fishing this weekend or I would be there to help you get started.  If you come on the 17th I will definately be there.  You can fish with me and the guys ;D

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Go to Port Ontario then north on Rte 3.  Go past the flashing light and look for Greene point, they have a place you can park for $5.  If you go north of Greene Point you are in Renshaw Bay.  The north side of Renshaw is a great place to fish for bluegills.  The south side of Renshaw is good for Pike and Perch.  If turn left at the flashing light I mentioned earlier you can catch a bunch of perch in front of the Wigwam Restaurant.

I wish I was fishing this weekend or I would be there to help you get started.  If you come on the 17th I will definately be there.  You can fish with me and the guys ;D

Thanks Ranger.  I might take you up on the invite on the 17th.  Thanks for the tip-up info too.  How will I spot you if I make it up on the 17th?

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Thanks Ranger.  I might take you up on the invite on the 17th.  Thanks for the tip-up info too.  How will I spot you if I make it up on the 17th?

Ranger,  One more question.  At what depth should I target the crappies?  I don't have a fish finder or flasher so I'll need to play around to find them.  Thanks again. Steve

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:36 PM »
I have never caught a crappie in Sandy Pond so I cannot answer that one.

If I'm fishing for pike I fish Renshaw Bay.  If I am fishing for perch I go out in front of the Wigwam and I use small minnows for bait.

Hope to see you out on the Pond some time.  Look for an American flag and that's me.  Drop me a PM next week and maybe we can hook up on the 17th.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:44 PM »
Somebody mentioned the Wigwam.  That's where I normally fish, but I've only seen posts about Greene Point.  Is the ice consistent on the whole pond?  How thick has it been in the last few days?  Any info would help out.  Thanks.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:12 PM »
NO! the ice is not the same everywhere.  The outlet area to lake Ontario is usually the last to freeze.  Also there are warm springs on the north side of Renshaw bay, there are some spots that never freeze over.  I once saw a frog in one of those spring hole in FEBRUARY!  :o  Also stay away from the inlets.  They thaw quickly as well.

If you PM Jigger he can tell you the ice conditions.  I havn't been there in a week and I won't be there this weekend.

bigdave1018

« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:16 PM »
great info ranger. we need more informative fishers in here like you. thanks again clay. have a great safe ice season.

Offline ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Just visited with my Aunt at Greene Point and they are charging 5 dollars to park there and 75 dollars for a season pass.There is 7 inches of ice in the bay and they have been catching some crappie,I will be fishing either Thursday or friday and will post my results. :tipup: :tipup:
Hey Jigger is true that Debbie catches all the fish and all you do is buy the bait.

Offline ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:53 PM »
Jigger: Hope you are keeping records of all the fish your catching this year. I'd like
to compare your records with Crappiedaddie's but of course yours will show perch and we know how C-Daddie feels about that.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:18 PM »
I really don't think the ice will be good with all the warm weather but will check on Wednesday,I've been working all weekend so thats why no reports.My own personell opinion is wait till a good few days of a deep freeze but until then I might do some small game hunting. If the ice is safe I'll be glad to show you some spots and a few pointers Rangerclay,if you want crappie fishing tips then crappiedaddie is the man. :tipup:

bonkfan14

« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:51 PM »
Jigger: Hope you are keeping records of all the fish your catching this year. I'd like
to compare your records with Crappiedaddie's but of course yours will show perch and we know how C-Daddie feels about that.
hey bill dont you have some work to do or somthing!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:17 PM »
I'm getting my Perch Jigs ready!

Offline olgreenhead

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #49 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:45 AM »
Well i just left  the point and bite was small and slow i might be there sunday with my son fishing pike , Just look for the yellow aztec  :tipup:

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2006, 10:53 AM »
How is the ice holding up greenhead?

Offline olgreenhead

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Well there is bout 7 in of ice . Dont know how it will be this weekend . I live bout 10 min from there so if anybody traveling far pm and ill go check the ice before u drive up . Art

bonkfan14

« Reply #52 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:35 PM »
jigger you heading up north this weekend?...let me know ill be at my usual spot ;D..zeke..

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:54 AM »
Yea Zeke I guess thats the only spot with good ice,is it safe for the wheelers because I usually park on the road and drive in to mile arm.

Offline ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:33 AM »
Jigger, I think thats where wendell and I are going this weekend. I'll give you a call.

bonkfan14

« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:55 AM »
Jigger, I think thats where wendell and I are going this weekend. I'll give you a call.
the lake isnt big enough for the 2 of us bill .....STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!.... :flex: :flex: :flex:...zeke

Offline gunnerdk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:55 PM »
How is the ice holding up off green point?

Tight lines!!

Offline ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 13, 2006, 05:53 AM »
the lake isnt big enough for the 2 of us bill .....STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!.... :flex: :flex: :flex:...zeke
I'm older so you stay away!

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 13, 2006, 07:46 AM »
You guys can try the ice if you want ::)  I'm going to get some chores done and fish next weekend.  Good luck and don't fall threw.

Offline panfish_guru

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:50 AM »
Fished Greene's Point yesterday all day.....the ice when we left was 4 inches of honey comb.  You could make a hole with just your boot at the end of the day....no way the ice will be safe after today.  Didn't do all that well either, lots of small fish came home with about 25 good gills and crappies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.