New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2015 SENY Gatherings suggestion  (Read 10579 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Re: 2015 SENY Gatherings suggestion
« Reply #30 on: Jul 16, 2014, 12:18 AM »
Hi Guys!!!  Just dropped in to say Hello ....glad to see such a spirited discussion on our annual Get-Together!!
Re: White Pond (Putnam/Dutchess)..... fished it many times over the past years, but disappointed with the results.  Usually very small Bass, a few Bullheads, and little else.  BUT..... STRANGEST THING.....I keep hearing about guys catching large Northern Pike and Walleyes there.....NOT OFTEN.... but the reports persist!!
There's a plowed parking lot for about 10-12 cars.

Re:  So. Fallsburgh FD contest at Echo Lake.....MY FAVORITE ......  fish it every time they hold it.  Disappointed only one year because of deep snow, over slush, over water.....made walking IMPOSSIBLE !!!   When conditions are right, you don't have to walk far out for good fishing.  Big Crappies, Big Yellows, Picks.  I won second place one year in the Yellow Perch category.  Lots of good prizes (some valuable stuff like power augers) and a spirited Raffle.  My buddy John (Squid Boy) won their 50/50 raffle once and walked off with over $300 !!  A great contest, well run by the FD.

Re: Lake Huntington (Sullivan);  I just like this lake !!!  Don't know why???  Easy parking/access/short walk to fishing.   Some nice Crappies, lots of Picks, Small Mouth Bass...... and one of the guys caught a Walleye there a few years back.  There was also a report (confirmed) of someone taking an 11 lb. Channel Catfish just a few yards off shore.  We've held a few gatherings there, and everyone who came had a good time.

The other lakes you have been discussing are not known to me.  For many, many years my ice fishing was confined to the NYC Watershed Reservoirs in Westchester, Putnam  area.  They are VAST IN SIZE and if you don't know where to go, your chances are not good.  Also, as I'm sure most of you know, you MUST have a NYC Reservoir Permit to fish any of them.  If any of you guys are ambitious this season....give me a call and I'll act as guide to fish one of these.

Anyway..... back to my Saltwater Summer season.  Just got back from Costa Rica for a weeks fishing trip.  Our score:  One 350 lb. Blue Marlin..... lots of Sailfish up to 200 lbs........  all the Mahi-Mahi you could ever want.... delicious Grouper..... Roosterfish..... Ocean Bonita up to 15 lbs.    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TRIP if you want top shelf action.  Contact me if you want info on our outfitter/Hotel/fishing boats.  Glad to oblige.

Stay healthy and happy everyone........ see you in the Fall.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #31 on: Jul 16, 2014, 03:29 AM »
IceBalls/Roger glad to hear from you, sounds like you had a great trip. I'm happy to see an interest in this thread especially given the time of year. Since no single date is good for everyone and also to cut down on travel time for some members I'm trying to find multiple locations around south east New York . Like to use some of the contests/tournaments so no member is responsible for checking ice conditions also there is the chance someone could win a prize. I'll have to check MYFIshFinder and see if Jagger61/Mike has been active lately he appears to be quite knowledgeable on where to find lake trout in the various NYC reservoirs.  Chodikee lake is near New Paltz in Ulster county not to far from the NYS Thruway (exit 18) lake is off  of route 299. Winding Hills is an Orange county park off of route 17k in the town of Montgomery. If you are on route 17 heading west towards Sullivan county you would get off at exit 116(Bloomingburg and take route 17k east to arrive at park. Glenmere is by the Village of Florida I think the local fire dept. has a yearly contest . I will do some research ,also thought of Silvermine lake in Harriman state park (Large parking lot if little snow can drive to lakes edge unload gear then park vehicle) > Both Winding Hills and Harriman  state park prohibit alcohol so if we meet there I would promote as a family event. Many of these lake are In Jack Stewart guide to fishing in SENY .
  Check back in in coming months as I will be updating this thread. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jul 16, 2014, 07:20 AM »
Hey Roger ...glad to here from ya ...it's nice to know that the Echo lake contest is back on for 2015( I found it and posted it from  the FD Facebook page)...think we may have been at the same (last) Echo contest ...the conditions you describe were right on ...got my foot wet on that one and I was done ...my tip ups got snow blown in(lost) and were all but forgotten there. That contest has some of the best prizes in the local area ... its the not to be missed one for certain ...and its the first one usually . Just noticed that the Morningside contest is being sponsored by the Fallsburg youth dept and the Hurleyille Fd ...and the Lock Sheldrake FD ...http://www.hurleyvilleny.com/morningside%20classic.htm

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Jul 16, 2014, 07:27 AM »
                                  Predicted contest dates for 2015 based on years past

Jan 31 : Echo lake host  Fallsburg FD....Swan lake host Swan lk FD
                                             Feb 7  : Loch Sheldrake  host Loch Sheldrake FD
                                             Feb 14: Highland lake  host Mahogany Ridge Hunting.....Morningsid e lake  host Town of Fallsburg ,Hurleyville
                                                         Loch Shelrake FD's
                                             Feb 15 : King of the Ice White lake  host Sullivan Co Consevation
                                             Feb 21 : Sackett lake host Monticello FD

If others IS members  are Familiar with other local area  contest information and locations please PM me and I'll update this post  (Glenmere  come to mind)
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jul 16, 2014, 09:50 PM »
nice fish ice balls... awsome... look forward to seeing you again on the ice... :thumbsup:
images.jpeg

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #35 on: Jul 16, 2014, 11:31 PM »
Good evening everyone I exchanged personal messages with Jager61/Mike over on MY Fish Finder. I'm sure many of you have seen his photos of lake and other trout he has caught from the various NYC water system reservoirs located in Putnam and Westchester counties. He recommended West Branch Reservoir ample parking and access . The fish species range from white and yellow perch,brown trout. walleye, land locked salmon (lls) and the occasional lake trout. You need a permit from the NYC department of environmental protection (DEP) in addition to your NYS fishing license . The permit is obtainable through the NYC DEP website ,the DEP also has offices in Kingston area and by Neversink reservoir where you can get permits. I will look for web address for the DEP and post a link. There is probably also information on the permit on the NYS DEC website and also in the booklet you should have gotten with your fishing license.
  If anyone has knowledge of contests in Orange county please post or message me. I was out at Thruway sporting goods in Walden last night and talked with one of the sales clerks he said most of the contests he knows of in Orange county are small ones put on by local sportsman's groups and maybe only for club members. Just a side note if you are shopping at Thruway and are hungry and like Chinese food stop in the restaurant located in shopping area. Friendly staff ,good food and service.

Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #36 on: Jul 17, 2014, 12:22 AM »
I did a little exploring if you go to the New York NeWS & Info. thread stickied to the top of NY. General community/forum there is a link to the DEC website from there you can get to NYC DEP access permit page. There also is an office in Kingston where you can obtain permits besides on-line. You can Also call 1-800-land(5263) for more info. The Kingston office is on Smith Street .

Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Jul 18, 2014, 01:08 PM »
SHOUT OUT TO FRABILL  asked them to send me some printed catalogs for the preseason gathering several days ago ...the USPS just dropped off a Frabill care package  containing 15 or so 2015 Catalogs .I have contacted them on several occasions for  product information they have always responded very quickly .

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jul 18, 2014, 08:20 PM »
I would suggest our PRE-SEASON Get Together be held in Mid-January at Gander Mtn., Middletown, then our regular fishing day Get together at the Echo Lake contest on Jan 31.   It's really not too early to start the process by setting dates and places.  We can announce both on My Fishfinder and here so we get maximum early coverage.  Much too much time was wasted last year in discussions about dates / places.  There are just too many places and everone has their own opinion about when & where to go.  Let's just pick one and go with it!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #39 on: Jul 19, 2014, 01:53 AM »
I don't want to throw the proverbial Monkey Wrench at your suggestion IceBalls. But In my years of ice fishing in SENY it is possible that there could be fishable ice on the smaller ,shallower ponds and lakes by mid January . Which means some members will/would rather be ice fishing rather then at a meeting talking about the subject. I also have no idea how far in advance the lodge at Gander Mountain is booked.

It appears to me I'm being misunderstood this is ambitious but I would like to have 2-3 gatherings on the ice this coming season. No single date is good for everyone also by having gatherings in different locations around the SENY area more members maybe able to attend one. Travel time/distance has keep people from attending in the past. Possibly meet at the Echo lake/South Fallsburg FD. contest in Late January, West Branch reservoir or silvermine lake in mid February and possibly Chodikee lake in early March . This is just a basic idea open to debate at this time . whenever we have the preseason gathering/meeting I would like to have a finalized plan.

Iceballs/Roger I appreciate all the work you have done the last 3 or more years planning the annual gathering .I do not mean to step on your or anyone Else's feet.         Hardwater Diehard thank you for all your work to date with this years preseason gathering. Looking forward to seeing the Fabrill catalog.

Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Jul 19, 2014, 05:45 AM »
I'm usually  on ice starting the first week in January ...sometimes a lil before ...I should be making a trip to Gander Mtn sometime next week so I will secure a date for the preseason gathering  .... still shooting for the first week in December.  I also contacted several other companies concerning printed catalogs ...most are responding with that the 2015 catalogs are at the printer and will not be available until after August so please contact us then... so I will fire off some Emails then . I do like the  multiple contests gathering ideas ..a lot less specific planning is involved . I'd still be up for a on ice gathering in mid January if we can choose a lake with good ice and parking .. that's going to up to mother nature cooperation . Keep the ideas ,lakes and contest information coming . In regards to the pre season gathering any specific topics for discussion or seminar/demonstration type  ideas ?  Last years "tip-down " display seemed to go over well as did the Artic Armor suit ... I'll be bringing my Striker Ice suit for review and discussion .

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jul 19, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Hardwater Diehard..... if you can get on safe ice the first week of January....I want to be there with you!!!  It's been some time snce I've found my "requisite 5-6 inches" of ice that early.  Keep me in mind..... if you find some walkable ice...PM me immediately!!

I would love to have several on-ice get togethers during the season, just don't know how easy that would be to put together.  I'll help any way I can.  Early Dec. sounds good for a pre-season meet, if we can get the room at Gander.  Any place else we can meeet if Gander is not available???  Hope we can convince the hunters among us to give up a few hours in the woods for a chance to meet other members and trade information.  I, for one, am willing to do that.

Damn!!  Thought I actually got a break from IS for the Summer...... but here I am.....hooked again !!!  Oh Well.............

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Jul 19, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Will do IceBalls ...Huntington is about a half hour north  of me ...so if I have safe ice here Huntington should be even better . My "home " lake tends to freeze up on its Southeast shore enough to get out in early January not in the most productive water... but staring down a hole beats talking about it  ..and one still night locks up the  rest of the  lake  by mid January .

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #43 on: Jul 20, 2014, 04:12 AM »
I believe the Town of Wallkill has a recreation center in the same general area as Gander Mountain, no idea what the rental fee would be for use of the facility. If I'm reading one of Hardwater's previous post correctly Gander does not charge for use of it's lodge . I can bring my Arctic Armor suit again this year so members can compare it with the Striker suit. Also have a tip-down from Douglas Creek outfitters I can bring purchased this tip-down on-line from Gander Mountain.  I can reach out to Jager61 and see if he would be willing to discuss some of his trout catching techniques . Hardwater please be sure to contact Custom Jigs and Spins they are an Ice Shanty sponsor I know in years past they printed a catalog. When you book the lodge ask the fishing Dept. manager to reserve 25 or so copies of Gander's ice fishing products catalog.

IF the weather cooperates I think we can have multiple on-ice gatherings . I will visit or call The DEC region 3 office in New Paltz and see what they can tell me about Chodikee Lake in the next few weeks . Also will stop at Winding Hills park . The lake in Winding Hills is small in surface area 40 acres and no more the 15 feet in depth at certain spots .So it should freeze rather quickly given the right conditions.

Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Jul 20, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Mr Clean ...CJ&S has been contacted ...need to contact them in Sept as no new catalogs printed as of yet ....also contacted ICEFORCE ...they are heads of Strikemaster ,Marcum ,Otter Etc ...no word yet ...Clam Corp same boat ....if others have suggestion for printed catalogs they like... let me know and  I'll fire off an Email . Most halls charge a fee or you have to leave a deposit  ...get the key ...a real pain ... Gander did not charge me ...even though I think they do others .  Good call on bringing your tip down and suit ...nothing beats  show and tell ...I'll have to go though my gear and see what stuff to show ...I've had great success with a lot of my purchases from last season ...if Boss Jigs reads this your Striker suit would also be nice to compare along with your on ice review of it  from last season . I'm still searching for a nice lake to hold the on ice gathering (the contest ideas are great ) ...but snow is the big enemy ...with access and weight on thinner ice (6 inches or less). So it looks like both events a plugging along ...looking forward to both .

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jul 20, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Looking forward to a good pre-season meeting....... I have some tip-ups that I found that are going to have your eyeballs popping!!  I have no idea how old they are, but they are ANCIENT !!!  The guy who made them also sewed up a custom carrying bag for them.  I'm still trying to figure out how they work!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Jul 20, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Looking forward to a good pre-season meeting....... I have some tip-ups that I found that are going to have your eyeballs popping!!  I have no idea how old they are, but they are ANCIENT !!!  The guy who made them also sewed up a custom carrying bag for them.  I'm still trying to figure out how they work!!

That's great ...if every body brings a show and tell item or a topic for  discussion it should be a great  time ...I have some ideas and items ...I am sure as we get closer new articles , techniques and products will arise so topics de jour .

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #47 on: Jul 21, 2014, 03:59 AM »
Good ideas for the preseason gathering. I do not know how comfortable he is speaking before a group but maybe Deweyicefish could talk about the NY Pro-Am Ice Fishing series. I believe he has competed in the series the past two years. I know at the 2013 Tupper lake contest he was among the prize winners in the pike category. I'm excited to see IceBalls tipups  hopefully among all of us we can figure out how they function.
The weather will always be a factor we can only hope things work out and we are able to have multiple on ice gatherings . I know this year's King of the Ice was cancelled because of deep snow .

Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Jul 21, 2014, 06:25 AM »
A lot of contests were cancelled that weekend ...it was a sloppy mess for a while ...I didn't even go out for several days till it melted and refroze to hard pack ... then it was game on . Like I said before heavy weight snow is tough on thinner ice ...between the unplowed parking lots and the slushy mess you have to "work" with makes it near impossible to enjoy yourself or to plan an event without a back up plan .Fired off some more Emails inquiries  yesterday for more catalogs .

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Jul 25, 2014, 05:15 AM »
Went to Gander Mtn yesterday the date for the pre ice gathering is NOVEMBER 8th 2014 I hope we can all make it

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jul 27, 2014, 12:36 AM »
I'll definitely be there.  Let's try to make THIS meeting a BIG one...... no silly weather excuses.  I drove up there from Long Island last year, in what was supposed to be a big snowstorm....... if I saw 2 inches of snow, it was a lot!!!  Weatherman was WRONG AGAIN !!!  But most of our SENY guys got scared off by the prediction...... let's not let that happen again.

See you all in Middletown......NOV. 8, 2014

P.S..... If you have anything interesting or unusual that you think we might be interested in seeing....bring it along !!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jul 27, 2014, 12:40 AM »
HARDWATER DIEHARD/ MR. CLEAN....... If you want any help setting things up, bringing along snacks, coffee, etc....LET ME KNOW.

I wass thinking about posting the meeting date on social media site )like FB)....we might attract some new people.  What do you think??

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #52 on: Jul 27, 2014, 04:56 AM »
IceBalls I will let Hardwater make the call concerning Face Book. IT might be a good idea to print up a sign about gathering and post it on bulletion board in exit way of Gander Mountain. I have to get my printer repaired or replace and contact I.S. admin.or a mod. to get history of this website. I believe I still have name tags left from last years event. We will let you and any others who offer know what to bring in the line of refreshments. If anyone is a Sam's Club member bring your card with you to gathering there is a Sam's Club in same area as Gander Mountain if the need would arise for last minute purchase of items.
Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #53 on: Jul 28, 2014, 03:39 AM »
Just a brief update I sent two members personal messages . I received a reply from one (Jager61) unfortunately for us he will be in Ohio on the day of preseason gathering . On a white tail deer archery hunt. He was kind enough to send me his ideas for rigging tipups and jigging equipment/lure selections for Lake Trout and Land Locked Salmon(lls) . When I get my printer working will print up copies of his ideas and bring them with me to hand out at Gander Mountain event.

He also told me during an average winter you can usually access the ice on West Branch reservoir by mid January. Some years not till late January. I will have a plan for this seasons on-ice gatherings completed by the preseason gathering ,we can discuss it at that time. After the preseason meeting I will start a new thread about the 2015 on-ice SENY Ice Shanty gatherings.

If anyone has knowledge of yearly contests and lake access /conditions for Ulster and Dutchess counties please post here or personal message me with the information.

Steve

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Steve:  Strongly suggest at least one get-together at the contest on Echo Lake (So. Fallsburgh FD).  And one at the Mahogany Ridge club contest on Highland Lake (Feb.14, I think).

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #55 on: Jul 30, 2014, 05:16 AM »
IceBalls /Roger , I think the Echo Lake (So. Fallsburg F.D.) contest would be good for the first of what hopefully are two or three on-ice gatherings this coming season. The Mahogany Ridge club contest at Highland Lake is one of three contests I believe are taking place in Sullivan County that weekend. My main idea in proposing having multiple gatherings was to spread them around the greater SENY area. If we have one in Putnam or Duthchess counties it may attract members who otherwise would not attend due to travel distance . If West Branch Reservoir or White Pond are not safe to hold a gathering in Mid-February I propose using the Hurleyville F.D. contest at Morningside Lake in Sullivan county (Also Feb.14,2015 I think) .Morningside is closer to the Route 17 travel corridor than Highland Lake , I also could not find a contact phone number/person for the Mahogany Ridge contest when doing a search this past winter.

I will present a plan at the preseason meeting at Gander Mountain  we can discuss/debate the plan and change if majority of members feel differently. Planing an outdoor event is always tricky . This past winter we went to our back up date after no member who lived close to Lake Huntington(western Sullivan county) would volunteer to check ice conditions and post their opinion. (gathering was set for Jan.19,2014)  Our back up the Mahogany Ridge contest in February was held but had poor attendance due to the fact Winter Storm Pax came through our area the day before contest and left many places with 12 plus inches of snow. Anyone who attended the Contest battled though harsh conditions to ice fish. The Annual King of The Ice contest scheduled for the day after Mahogany Ridge event was canceled due to the weather.

I'm flexible and will let majority decide where and when we meet this winter.
Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #56 on: Jul 31, 2014, 03:47 AM »
Good news when I logged in this morning found a personal message from Deweyicefish. He is willing to talk about the NY. Ice Pro-Am tournament series and his experience's competing in the series. Thank you Dewey ! It looks like things are coming together for the preseason gathering. Hardwater Diehard I can not remember does the lodge at Gander Mountain have a public address system or do we have to obtain some type of system. Maybe a Bullhorn if nothing else, I will talk to the owner of a local catering hall I worked at in the 1980's he may have a portable system or know where to obtain one. No offense meant to a member with this screen name or to Deweyicefish but not everyone is a Loudmouth.
Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #57 on: Aug 14, 2014, 03:24 AM »
Sorry it has been so long since I last posted to this thread. If the winter weather cooperates I think we can have on ice gatherings on the following dates. Jan.31,Feb.14 and March 7.2015 .(all days are Saturdays) I have some locations picked out but need to do some Field work/road trip to see size of parking areas,ease of access to the ice , how close are bait shops, etc. Also concerned about how easy some lakes are to find for people not familiar with the area of lake's location.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Sep 17, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Well I Emailed some more requests for catalogs yesterday ...so far most companies have responded quite well . I know you can look on line for the catalog/information ...but sometimes for quick reference cant beat a catalog.... especially between manufactures . I'm hoping most can make it to the Pre Season gathering .

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #59 on: Sep 18, 2014, 02:43 AM »
Hardwater Diehard thank you for bumping this thread to near the top of New York community/forum. I've been looking through a book titled Jack Stewart Jr. Memorial Fish&Wildlife FUND Southern New York Fishing Directory. Looking for lakes and bait shop listings for Dutchess and Putnam counties I'm not finding to many bait shops in Dutchess and a few in Putnam . I've posted before about having an on-ice gathering in one of these counties so members living on the east side of the Hudson River and in N.Y.C. and Long Island would have shorter commute to the gathering. Also not finding many lakes with public access. So any members from that area please post lake suggestions or if you know of any contests in these counties open to the general public. I'm located by Newburgh in Orange county so it is bit of a hassle to check ice conditions in either county. A contest eliminates having some member or myself do this close to gathering date. Also most contests have bait for sale  so no worries about transporting bait a long distance.

Below are my ideas for gathering dates and lakes with location.

January 31,2015  South Fallsburg Fire department contest- Echo Lake South Fallsburg,NY.  (Sullivan county)

February 14,2015   White Pond  (straddles Ducthess-Putnam border most of lake is in Putnam county)

March 8,2015  Chodikee Lake  Highland,NY. area  (Ulster county)

All dates are Saturdays  these suggestions will be discussed at the Preseason Gathering at Middletown,NY. Gander Mountain on November 8,2015. If you have any suggestions please post here before the preseason gathering date or send me a personal message . I want to have a finalized plan after the preseason event so I can start a new thread for the on-ice gatherings.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.