New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Vexilar  (Read 762 times)

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar
« on: Feb 11, 2015, 12:37 PM »
I am thinking about buying the vexilar fish scout double vision combo. I already have a flasher and looking to get a camera. Im just looking for pros and cons or guys opinions. Or is it a better buy to just buy the camera as a seperate unit. Thanks!

Offline salmonseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Alden NY... I am from there!! my family still lives there lol, funny stuff.

as for the camera, I have been thinking of getting one of the Vexlar pocket cameras... they look sweet, light, and fit in your pocket. a few of the models have recording capabilities. I would just worry about dropping it down a hole.
and if you really wanted to get crazy, the Marcum Pancam...or 4 would be great to position all around your fishing spot, but I am afraid I would be switching and watching to much to see if I was getting bit. 

I have an older Marcum 350 B/W and its a tank to put that extra weight in the sled. for me lighter is better.
I think, therefore I fish....

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2015, 01:18 PM »
I would keep them separate ...very bulky/heavy otherwise ...if you don't move at all ..not a big deal ...I was going to go with the Vexilar camera because they have a add on DVR recorder ...but wanted less bulk (had a old Aqua VU DT ) then researched the Aqua Vu Micros ....went with the Micro 5 w/DVR ...nice light battery self contained..I use it for scouting and I mount it atop my Vexilar Ultra pack via a GoPro jaws mount .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2015, 01:48 PM »
 The camera is fine until you lose a nice fish on that gets tangled up in the long cord that comes with it or a big pike nips  the cam.  Monofilament also will cut the cord if the right fish is on.   Not a big fan of the cameras but I am a huge fan of Vexilar's.

Offline salmonseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:02 PM »
I would keep them separate ...very bulky/heavy otherwise ...if you don't move at all ..not a big deal ...I was going to go with the Vexilar camera because they have a add on DVR recorder ...but wanted less bulk (had a old Aqua VU DT ) then researched the Aqua Vu Micros ....went with the Micro 5 w/DVR ...nice light battery self contained..I use it for scouting and I mount it atop my Vexilar Ultra pack via a GoPro jaws mount .

Sorry I meant to write Aqua Vu micro Like "hardwater diehard", not vexlar camera... not sure what I was thinking.... I need to go fishing
I think, therefore I fish....

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I usually hole hope with my flasher until I find the fish then set up camp. Iv been fishing with a buddy who has a camera and we usually set it about 4 feet to either the left or right of us and look at our jigs that way.

Offline RPudney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2015, 03:07 PM »
Just got home from buying the vexilar camera, can't f'n wait to get out and use it!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2015, 03:27 PM »
I personally think its a lot of weight/bulk to be searching for fish ...like with my old Aqua Vu ...if its tooooo heavy and a PITA to set up it says behind .

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309081.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2015, 04:38 PM »
i have a camera and use it all the time i love to watch the fish reacting to my bait and i have been able to hook fish when they suck in the jig when the spring bobber and line never moved

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.