New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Slammers  (Read 12134 times)

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
Re: Slammers
« Reply #30 on: Oct 06, 2005, 07:35 AM »
And with the two pieces that make of the slammer, I would say to be legal, you would need this info on them both, slammer and rod, which makes one tip-up devise.  :-\

And every thing that I've read and seen, they look cool and would do the trick.  ;)

I agree on name going on both pieces.  I also agree that they look cool.  I think I will try one, along with 2 tip-ups and 2 tip-downs, and try to see if there is an advantage.  Also, I was reading in one of the articles on-line somewhere, that somebody added a striker and base to insert a 209 shotgun primer, and when it slams, it really makes a large ka-pow.  Made me laugh thinking about someone coming over to look at the 'new' type of tip-up, and having the thing set off with the primer!  :D (I personally had never heard of them or saw one before this string)

camo_fish

« Reply #31 on: Oct 06, 2005, 07:31 PM »
that does sound like it would scare the crap out of someone not knowing, and standing next to one when it set the hook.  :roflmao: :roflmao: my have to p*ss my pants at that one.   :blink: :blink: :woot:

You'll have to let use know how they do and take lots of pictures of the slammer in business.  ;D
Fish On!

Offline kkbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 07, 2005, 08:51 PM »
This may sound like a stupid question..... but.... what is a slammer????

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 07, 2005, 08:55 PM »
this is a slammer, its a tip-up that sets the hook. the debate is whether its a tip-up or a hand line due to the fact it sets the hook?

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/icefishing-fishing/gf_aa016205a/

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #34 on: Oct 09, 2005, 05:00 PM »
Is it a tip-up? You have to land the fish with a pole instead of hand over hand like you do with a conventional tip-up. In my view it's not a tip-up, but Encon will make a decision for all of us. I just hope that they do it before the water get hard.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
ask and you shall receive ...
« Reply #35 on: Oct 19, 2005, 12:12 AM »

archbishop - the device pictured in that Game & Fish article online is NOT a Slammer Tip-Up (a.k.a. slammer) - it's a cobbled up Tripper device used for fishing for steelhead ... the writer submitted a number of pictures and didn't know which ones were to be used before the article went to print - the Slammer was pictured on the 2nd page of the magazine article along with myself and my buddy, Breeze, catching a pike

THESE are Slammers ...

The set Slammer on the right has a prototype "Wig-Jigger" wind-activated jigging add-on and a Strike Sensor paging unit on it.

I'd go by what the NYS DEC Law Enforcement Director says and fish 5 Slammer Tip-Ups ... and I WILL if I get a chance to get to New York this season.

In Michigan - we put our names and addresses JUST on the backside of the Slammer arm and not the rod. I do suggest color-coding your rod, Slammer AND removable Slamco rod-holder. The Slammer Tip-Ups pictured above are my purple and red ones.

Lou - thanks again for the info  ;) ... I don't use my "#209 Slammer Caps" on the Ice Commando 2000 model Slammer Tip-Ups as much as I used to since my wife bought me the Strike Sensor paging system a few years ago for Christmas - great for shanty naps or when watching the portable TV in the truck while "road-fishin'"

A question for you New york anglers: Are you allowed to catch steelhead or other trout and salmon through the ice in the state of New York??

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
Re: ask and you shall receive ...
« Reply #36 on: Oct 19, 2005, 05:43 AM »
A question for you New york anglers: Are you allowed to catch steelhead or other trout and salmon through the ice in the state of New York??

Yes, we are.  A popular place in Western New York is the harbor at Wilson for steelies.  Browns can be caught in some of the main Lake Ontario bays (like Irondequoit).  And of course, browns/lakers/atlantics can be caught in many of the smaller lakes that allow icefishing.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #37 on: Oct 19, 2005, 06:46 AM »
Lou - thanks again for the info  ;) ... I don't use my "#209 Slammer Caps" on the Ice Commando 2000 model Slammer Tip-Ups as much as I used to since my wife bought me the Strike Sensor paging system a few years ago for Christmas - great for shanty naps or when watching the portable TV in the truck while "road-fishin'"

Aah, did I read that on your site?  I couldn't remember where I had read it - when I want to find out more about something, I search for as much info on the net as I can find, so I read a lot of stuff...I still laugh thinking of that!!  I'll be ordering as soon as switch from 'bowhunting budget' to 'icefishing budget'...

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 19, 2005, 03:43 PM »
hey mac, that would make a hell of a bat for perchball ;D

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 19, 2005, 11:42 PM »
I put that block of fish ice in my kitchen sink around 4 in the afternoon.
It was still frozen inside when I cut it up around 11pm that night.
I always throw my fish on the ice and let flop-n-freeze.
But I have NEVER had a fish this solid ever.

Mac - do you use the spawn in those frozen fish for bait?? I NEVER let my stelies freeze anymore after losing some nice roe out of two fish a number of years ago when I was running low on bait.

I put them on a stringer in an open hole AWAY from the general area where I'm fishing and TRY to bleed them before I leave. I took a tip from bass pros who almost ALWAYS scoot away from the area that they're fishing to release a "culler" - something about danger pheromones ...

A little snow packed into a garbage bag with the fish and they're ready to fillet when I pull them out of the sled.

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #40 on: Oct 20, 2005, 04:58 PM »
Slammerman, I see that you use the slammer. How do you like them? I'm from Upstate NY and have never seen them on the ice here. I read about them in a magizine last winter and built a couple of them for this year. Still waiting to hear from NY ENCON as to how they will be classified. Are they tip-up in Mich.?

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #41 on: Oct 22, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Hello again and may I add that I hope everyone has a great ice season this winter. I fish both N.Y. and Pa. and I see there is still some controversy concerning the use of Slammers, Artic Warriors, or similar devices in New York. This type of controversy is the exact reason why the Pa. Fish and Boat Commission re- wrote their law concerning this matter several years ago. It used to state that ice anglers were allowed three tip-ups and two handlines or four tip-ups and one handline or five tip-ups with no more than 5 lines in any combo allowed. When these other devices began to appear they had the foresight to re-write the law and save the hassle for their officers and anglers as well. As per page 6 of the 2005 Pa. summary of fishing regs. and laws under tackle and equipment......" It is unlawful while ice fishing to use more than five fishing devices,which may consist of rods,handlines, tip-ups or any combination. Each device shall contain a single fishing line with no more than three hooks attached to each line. All lines, rods, or tip-ups shall be under the immediate control of the person using them. So there you have it. They don't care what it looks like or how it works as long as it's a legal device ( sorry guys...no Dynamite!!! ) and as long as you have no more than 5 lines in the water. Too bad N.Y. can't simplify their law as well. :-\ WANNAKETCHUM 
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #42 on: Nov 03, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Still no answer from ENCON if the slammer is a tip-up or hand line. But we don't have ice yet.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #43 on: Nov 06, 2005, 09:45 PM »
I USE SOMETHING THAT IS KIND OF LIKE A SLAMMER AND I WAS TOLD THAT IT WAS CONSIDERED A TIP-UP / TIP-DOWN BY ANOTHER ANGLER THAT HAD RECEIVED A TICKET FOR THE SAME THING.  I USE A HEAVY JIGGING ROD WITH A SLIP BOBBER.  THE SLIP BOBBER HAS A RUBBER BAND ON IT (CUT RUBBER BAND THAT IS TIED).  I THEN PLACE ANOTHER RUBBER BAND AROUND THE HANDLE OF THE ROD.  I PUT A LOOP OF LINE THROUGH THE BOBBER A THE DEPTH I WANT UNDER THE BOBBER.  THE BOBBER IS THEN PULLED UP TO THE TIP OF THE ROD.  ANOTHER LOOP OF LINE IS PUT THROUGH THE RUBBER BAND ON THE ROD HANDLE HOLDING THE BOBBER IN PLACE AT THE TIP OF THE ROD.  THE BAIL IS LEFT OPEN AND THE ROD IS PLACED IN A ROD HOLDER.  WHEN THE FISH HITS, THE BOBBER WILL DISAPPEAR DOWN THE HOLE.  WHEN YOU SET THE HOOK THE SLIP BOBBER WILL SLIDE DOWN THE LINE AND THE FISH IS FAUGHT ON THE JIGGING ROD.  I KIND OF SEE HOW THIS IS CONSIDERED A TIP-UP (BOBBER AS THE VISUAL AID), BUT I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS.  LIKE YOU GUYS STATED ABOVE, THE FISH IS FAUGHT ON A ROD NOT BY HAND.  IF THEY WANT TO CONSIDER THIS A TIP-UP THEN ANY ROD WITH A BOBBER CAN BE CONSIDERED A TIP-UP/TIP-DOWN.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 25, 2005, 10:30 AM »
any update?

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #45 on: Nov 26, 2005, 07:48 AM »
any update?
no updates yet but I will call DEC later this week to see if they have any news. I'll also call my local Encon Officer.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 26, 2005, 07:53 AM »
thanks booker, i was thinking of trying one or 2 this year but dont know weather to have one less jigging line or one less tip-up ??? i cant remember who said it on another thread about PA but NY should have a line limit not 3 of these 2 of those and 1 of this BS just say no more than 7 of any lines in the water, tip-up, slammer, jigging pole, dead stick whatever.

billybono

« Reply #47 on: Nov 27, 2005, 04:06 PM »
im in the proccess of building 5 of em now........im going to run em and hope there arnet any hero econs who want to ticket me...the only thing im having trouble with is the trip mechanism right now....i remember a post last year about using mousetraps???? anyone remember that?????

billybono

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #48 on: Nov 27, 2005, 04:32 PM »
im in the proccess of building 5 of em now........im going to run em and hope there arnet any hero econs who want to ticket me...the only thing im having trouble with is the trip mechanism right now....i remember a post last year about using mousetraps???? anyone remember that?????

billybono
billy, i built two of them. i sent away to get the prints and mine work good. mousetrap???
my trip mechanism is just a ring that the second eyelette from the top of the rod hooks on. when the fish hits, the ring is released from the eyelette and BAM you have a fish to reel in.

billybono

« Reply #49 on: Nov 27, 2005, 06:50 PM »
you dont remember the thread last year about using mousetraps for triggers....could you send me a pic of your trigger?  and btw the 209 primers ARE getting eneneered into mine......ptffff to hole stealers :)

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:00 PM »
You're in for problems billybono ....

There's a LOT more to making Slammer Tip-Ups work RIGHT than the release ... first one being the adjustable open coil  ice-fishing rod-holder ... second - the adjustable arm in relation to your rod ... etc .. etc ...

THE BIG PROBLEM with mousetrap triggers is accidental tripping ... either from wind, vibrations, temp. and/or pressure changes. Next problem is the line getting tangled in the mousetrap. This list goes on too ...

Be careful and don't poke your eye out kid  ;)

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #51 on: Dec 02, 2005, 02:31 AM »
Here is the write up on slammertipup.com
maybe this will help they are makers of slammer tipups
Q: Are Slammer Tip-Ups classified as "tip-ups" or "fishing rods" by the State of New York??

A: Attached Message
To:     [email protected]
Subject:     "Slammer" question
Date:     Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:03:33 -0400

Hi Fisherman,

We have had numerous questions similar to yours over the years as different
tip-up types and modifications have appeared.  Here's my take on this subject,
and I acknowledge up front that I am biased in favor of the fisherman, both
because I fish and because I think the sportsman should be given every
opportunity and every consideration when we can allow a new technique, tool or
method.    My take on the Slammer:   it is clearly designed to be used without
constant tending or handling by the angler.  It is designed to operate in the
same fashion as a tip-up, in that it just sits there until a fish takes the bait
and trips the device to signal the angler that there has been fish activity.
After the device has been tripped the fisherman comes over and pulls the fish
out through the ice.  We must remember that there is no definition of tip-up or
fishing rod. The law ( 11-0103-12(b) ) states that each fisherman is allowed to
use two lines, with or without rod.  Regulations (NYCRR 10.4) allow a fisherman,
when fishing through the ice to use five tip-ups in addition to two hand lines.
However neither the law or rules and regs provide a definition of what a tip-up
is or is not.  As you know, tip-ups now come in all kinds of different shapes,
configurations, styles and operational methods. There are even "tip-downs" that
we have allowed fisherman to use over the years.  Because there is such a wide
range of types I think that we would have a very difficult time in court trying
to articulate what a tip-up is or that the "Slammer" is not. And the bottom line
is why do we want to restrict what fisherman can classify as a tip-up?  What
benefit do we or the resource gain? In this instance I think we can hang our hat
on the fact that this is a device that is set up and then activated by the fish
biting the bait and causing the device to signal such bite to the fisherman -
just like every other tip-up out there on the ice. The "Slammer" is not designed
to be held in the hand or used like a traditional fishing or jigging rod.
Therefore it is a tip-up.

If you have any further questions please let me know. 

--Director Bob Lucas

Director Robert T. Lucas
NYSDEC Division of Law Enforcement
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-2500
Office (518) 402-8829
Fax     (518) 402-8830
e-mail:  [email protected]

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #52 on: Dec 02, 2005, 04:15 PM »
Thank you Mr. Lucas. I will be setting up three of my heritage lakers and 2 slammers as soon as the ice is thick enough.

Here is the write up on slammertipup.com
maybe this will help they are makers of slammer tipups
Q: Are Slammer Tip-Ups classified as "tip-ups" or "fishing rods" by the State of New York??

A: Attached Message
To:     [email protected]
Subject:     "Slammer" question
Date:     Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:03:33 -0400

Hi Fisherman,

We have had numerous questions similar to yours over the years as different
tip-up types and modifications have appeared.  Here's my take on this subject,
and I acknowledge up front that I am biased in favor of the fisherman, both
because I fish and because I think the sportsman should be given every
opportunity and every consideration when we can allow a new technique, tool or
method.    My take on the Slammer:   it is clearly designed to be used without
constant tending or handling by the angler.  It is designed to operate in the
same fashion as a tip-up, in that it just sits there until a fish takes the bait
and trips the device to signal the angler that there has been fish activity.
After the device has been tripped the fisherman comes over and pulls the fish
out through the ice.  We must remember that there is no definition of tip-up or
fishing rod. The law ( 11-0103-12(b) ) states that each fisherman is allowed to
use two lines, with or without rod.  Regulations (NYCRR 10.4) allow a fisherman,
when fishing through the ice to use five tip-ups in addition to two hand lines.
However neither the law or rules and regs provide a definition of what a tip-up
is or is not.  As you know, tip-ups now come in all kinds of different shapes,
configurations, styles and operational methods. There are even "tip-downs" that
we have allowed fisherman to use over the years.  Because there is such a wide
range of types I think that we would have a very difficult time in court trying
to articulate what a tip-up is or that the "Slammer" is not. And the bottom line
is why do we want to restrict what fisherman can classify as a tip-up?  What
benefit do we or the resource gain? In this instance I think we can hang our hat
on the fact that this is a device that is set up and then activated by the fish
biting the bait and causing the device to signal such bite to the fisherman -
just like every other tip-up out there on the ice. The "Slammer" is not designed
to be held in the hand or used like a traditional fishing or jigging rod.
Therefore it is a tip-up.

If you have any further questions please let me know. 

--Director Bob Lucas

Director Robert T. Lucas
NYSDEC Division of Law Enforcement
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-2500
Office (518) 402-8829
Fax     (518) 402-8830
e-mail:  [email protected]

billybono

« Reply #53 on: Dec 02, 2005, 04:19 PM »
You're in for problems billybono ....

There's a LOT more to making Slammer Tip-Ups work RIGHT than the release ... first one being the adjustable open coil  ice-fishing rod-holder ... second - the adjustable arm in relation to your rod ... etc .. etc ...

THE BIG PROBLEM with mousetrap triggers is accidental tripping ... either from wind, vibrations, temp. and/or pressure changes. Next problem is the line getting tangled in the mousetrap. This list goes on too ...

Be careful and don't poke your eye out kid  ;)

thanks for the concern  ;)   im pretty sure i have reversed engeneered it from the all the pics i saw....ill post some pics when i get a new digi

billybono

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #54 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:56 PM »
you are both right about the letter. The original letter was to olcrawdad, the info that was posted by me was from slammer web site not from a letter to me. It was a letter I got from the slammer site that was from the director of encon especially posted for NYS.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.