New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: how often you get a visit from DEC  (Read 4141 times)

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
Re: how often you get a visit from DEC
« Reply #60 on: Dec 25, 2012, 11:53 AM »
I have been checked 3 times for lic in the last 60 years
I must be to far off the road
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 25, 2012, 01:12 PM »
last time i was checked nailed me for six tip ups.Two wardens one was decent gave me the ticket let me know i pushed it other one was a total jerk.Ran me through the the wringer didnt find anything else.And told me Im watching you.

Offline milo44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 25, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Checked 3x in 15 years 1on the hard water 2x in a boat  all on same lake

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 25, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Almost EVERY time out. I guess I just look shady! LOL.

Offline yellowlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:19 AM »
Almost every weekend.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #65 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:54 AM »
Every time I leave the house. I am on their watch list  ::)

I once got caught with 11 pike in the trunk of my Grand Marquis. The ticket read " ELEVATED LEVELS OF FISH IN A MERCURY "
 ;) ;D ::)
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline smokemetallic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:55 AM »
Never checked while ice fishing.  As a sportsmen, I try to follow the rules to a "T".  Would love to see more of them during the fall walleye shore fishing on Oneida, maybe to keep some of slobs in check.  Have been checked many times while boat fishing on Seneca river though. Mostly concerned with safety/equipment violations.

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #67 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Maybe once or twice a season out on the ice.  I actually kind of like it.  I am all the way legal so I don't worry about having them stop.  Usually, they will stay a minute and talk about the body of water, what they have been seeing when they go up to other fishermen, etc.  Sometimes, they spill the beans on where or what has been hot out there for others.  You know what, these guys are just out there doing their jobs.  As someone else said, treat them with respect and common courtesy and you will very likely get the same in return. :thumbsup:
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #68 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:04 PM »
2 times in the 22 years I've had to get a license, once on the ice and once on a stream...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 26, 2012, 12:13 PM »
Maybe once in 5 years while fishing, nowhere near enough. They're deplorably under-staffed in Saskatchewan, which means that many hunters and fishers have complete contempt for the fish and game regulations.

Offline novice99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 26, 2012, 01:39 PM »
Twice on the ice and maybe six times on open water in 40 years.

Offline Ryan549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 26, 2012, 04:16 PM »
I have seen them bbut never been approached by them.

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #72 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:34 PM »
… (in New York, from 1985 - 2002) when I was doing 70 – 80 days a year open water … 15 – 20 days a year stream, and 25 – 30 on the ice - I would be asked for my license about 3 – 4 times a year (in the NY Adirondack, or up state region mainly) … now (the last 6 – 7 years, in the Lake Erie region of NY) – it’s been more like 1 time a year open, and 1 time on the ice, out of a combined wet line days of about 60 – 80 now.
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:43 PM »
I have been checked hunting or stream fishing, and I hunt alot. Ice Fishing once a year on Onieda. Have never had a problem and they are always very respectful.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:49 PM »
The only time I'm ever checked is when I fish Hemlock or Canadice, and in those cases I'm glad that the DEC are there.  Those are very special places that need protection. 

Has anybody had their bait checked before and asked to show a receipt?  I never have but am curious as to others experience with that as I don't always keep my receipt responsibly and a lot of times just risk it (even though I rarely fish with old bait, and never past the law requirement)
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline iFish365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Only during contests

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:12 PM »
I have had my bait receipt checked when the certififed bait law first passed....they were always asking for recepts and i had a pile of them in my wallet.....now they just want to make sure you arent transporting trapped minnows...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline backbake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Interesting topic, some folks have gotten checked quite a bit while others not so much. I'm 42 and have NEVER even been approached by the DEC. I'm a stickler for conforming to the book (well, I have used certified bait past the expiration dumped in with new bait/new receipt) and would welcome any visit from an ECO, but I may not log as many hours on the water/ice as many here....I guess it's just a matter of odds.... I did however quite often get the Cornell guys off Shackleton Point (some years ago) doing their research...it was always neat to talk to those fellas.....

Offline bdet8008

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:24 PM »
I usually I see them about 5-6 times a season.

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:42 PM »
Have been checked just a few times in N.Y in 60 yrs of fishing .. Here in Fl I will get checked once a month.. The state guys are really nice (even to a Yankee)  but when in the St. Johns the Coast Guard guys are very cold and make you open or dump everything. Good thing they have those rubber boats as they come in full steam and bump you pretty good.. No hello and no goodbye..

Offline CHEPIGUY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • gimme back that fillet o fish
« Reply #80 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:07 PM »
never been checked
Chepi

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #81 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Been checked twice while fishing from shore at honeoye in the summer, once by guys in a boat, another at sandy bottom park on the north end. Been checked once at the pier in Canandaigua and a few times at Naples creek. Get checked every year at west river which flows into Canandaigua lake. All my encounters have been nice and go smoothly.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:52 PM »
I like to fish west river by boat, it is hilarious to watch the guys with no license try and avoid dec. They always get caught

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:01 PM »
usually 2-4 times a yr. always either salmon or ice fishing or while rabbit/pheasent hunting state lands. never met a grumpy one yet
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #84 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:16 PM »
I like to fish west river by boat, it is hilarious to watch the guys with no license try and avoid dec. They always get caught
You would be right my good man, it is indeed hilarious to watch. I've found the only way to not get bothered is to go out on the points at the end of the channel which leads to the boat launch. That or be in a boat. West river is pretty good icefishing on the years that it's stays frozen through march cause the perch and crappie run pretty heavy
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline WNY D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:39 PM »
I was checked once bow hunting about ten years ago.  Not once have I been checked while fishing.  I do a lot of open water fishing, both by boat and stream fishing (for trout).  I have always found it surprising at my lack of encounters with ECO's.  My opinion is they do a pretty solid job with the limited staff that they have. 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/50303.html
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:42 PM »
I've been checked about 1/3 of the time on the ice near the St. Law river and raquette river, and about half the time there while bullhead fishing (lantern's a dead give away haha), and I get out a lot. Fishing the river in oswego during salmon season, well.. there busy over there... who ropes salmon? :whistle: I even saw my first  DEC officer while hunting this year, it was when I was leaving state land after an early fall scouting/squirrel hunting excursion. After checking my license and my gun (to see it was a .22 and not a deer rifle) he was very friendly. He gave me some different spots to try, told me some areas to avoid that see more pressure and was pleasantly surprised to see a young person enjoying the outdoors.
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:04 AM »
6-7 years ago was checked on lake delta on a fri and sunday- he did nt remember me from first check. ran into an officer on way out on lake pleasant. since i wasnt fishin he did nt bother. had a nice visit w the second officer.   

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:11 AM »
I'm in the Finger Lakes and I am happy to say that I see them just often enough that if I were in the wrong I would be a little worried about getting caught. I've had ECOs come right out on the ice checking paper work, pull up to the boat to check paper work, buckets, and safety gear, gun checks on dirt roads while deer hunting, waiting at the car when I came out of the woods, I often see them waiting at the point of access while fishing and ice fishing. I also know that just because I do not seeing them does not mean they do not see me.
TRAKNDWG; women love him, fish fear him.

Offline MattyP123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH - HUNT - ICE
« Reply #89 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:32 PM »
checked me today on seneca, really friendly, was fising again in 2 minutes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.