New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ATV in sacandaga  (Read 4137 times)

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
ATV in sacandaga
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:38 PM »
So I was fishing Sunday and these guys next to me were talking about thier buddy who had put his brand new raptor 700 atv in to lake this past week.  They said that he fell through and just left it. They were talking about going up and trying to fish it out.  According to these guys the kids dad said oh well his loss anyone that wants it can get it out and have it.   He said it was not worth the trouble.  So after i got over being dumb founded that someone would just leave a brand new machine. The guys gave me the kids name and # and said he would sign the title over before removal to who ever wanted it.   So what I was wondering is if someone actully takes the kid up on this deal I wonder if DEC would try to come after the person that is pulling it out or if they would go after the original owner??  I guess there is no proof of who was riding it. But if he signs the title over to you it is now your atv and one would think you would be charged with whatever you get charged with when you put a atv in the water.   I have no clue where it went in or at what depth.     What would you do???     Maybe I should call DEC and give the kids info and let them handle it.  I am sure the kid would be facing some heavy penaltys seen thats it been in there for almost a week now.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
Re: ATV in sacandaga
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:43 PM »
According to these guys the kids dad said oh well his loss anyone that wants it can get it out and have it.   He said it was not worth the trouble.

That's one of the dumbest things i have ever heard  :blink: :wacko:

But i guess that sums up they are not very bright being out there in the 1st place, with the so-so ice conditions !

I wouldn't touch that with a 39-1/2' pole !!!  :P

Crazy  :cookoo:

I'm sure ECON with have a HUGE say in the matter too.

Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline badger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:54 PM »
i would call encon and give them the info and teach daddy and son a leason all that oil and gas in the lake its a real shame

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:59 PM »
That was what i was thinking all that gas and oil can't be good.   I myself am not going any where near it. I got a brand new dirtbike i dont need no swamped atv.   So I just did a quick search on the internet with the name and # i had and It turns out that the dad ownes one of the largest paving outfits in the capital region.   I am sure that is why its no big deal for him.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline Reel Addiction 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 3rd double of the day
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:01 PM »
I believe it's a $1,000 a day fine it sits in there. That's what we were told when talking to local firefighters. As long as ATV was shut down as soon as it went it. it will run once it's taking out. I've seen sleds go under pond skipping and fire right up after being pulled out. Drain it and put all new oil etc. I'd beat my kids butt if he did it but I wouldn't have left it in there.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:03 PM »
i would call encon and give them the info and teach daddy and son a leason all that oil and gas in the lake its a real shame

Definitely this.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:05 PM »
anyone got a chainsaw, some diving gear and a few 1000' feet of chains and a truck with a winch??

also who wants to volentee a few hours to cut a trench? and eaither dive down n hook the chains or run the winch?

just kidding if that was mine id have it out of there, but i also wouldnt have been on it till i knew there was plenty of ice... call DEC and let them know whats going on..

"stupid people ruining fishing for all of us"....
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:09 PM »
I believe it's a $1,000 a day fine it sits in there. That's what we were told when talking to local firefighters. As long as ATV was shut down as soon as it went it. it will run once it's taking out. I've seen sleds go under pond skipping and fire right up after being pulled out. Drain it and put all new oil etc. I'd beat my kids butt if he did it but I wouldn't have left it in there.

well if thats true they have almost exceeded the value of the machine.    Stupid doesnt pay

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:09 PM »
I'm surprised it didn't float.  My buddies ATV went in about 5-6 years ago in the middle of February (we had three of us riding on it) and it floated.
J3W

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:12 PM »
I'm surprised it didn't float.  My buddies ATV went in about 5-6 years ago in the middle of February (we had three of us riding on it) and it floated.
J3W

depends on the weight the size of the tires and the amount of air in them!! BUY AN ARGO!!! i really want an AIRBOAT  ;D
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline badger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:31 PM »

well if thats true they have almost exceeded the value of the machine.    Stupid doesnt pay
plus the cost to get it out divers and such big money  you never know this time of year on Brant this week end went from 6" to 1.5" right after a pressure crack that would have never been see by a ATV rider.  be smart go slow and check ice often is the only way to go this time of year

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Im certified in SCUBA... Where is it?  i dont need the title either ill just part it out and make a quick couple grand
I like that idea. I would definetly do that if i could. Who would know???

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Sounds like an urban legend to me. My brother, many years ago, was told about a hot rod that had gone into Sacandaga. He was told the same thing. This was in open water and we were certified divers. We looked for days. No car. I still think is was a B.S. story. As is this.

Offline gdfellajay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • army strong
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:12 PM »
i was out all weekend didnt hear anything im gonna check with dave at daves bait and tackle he is usually up to speed on events that happen on the lake. i did see a couple of snow moblies around the pub day and night i was pretty shocked cause he was going right out to the middle pretty carzy ???

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Im certified in SCUBA... Where is it?  i dont need the title either ill just part it out and make a quick couple grand

Wouldn't that be considered theft in NY? There was a similar situation on the Saginaw Bay last year, or the year before, where someone dropped a sled to the bottom and returned 4 or 5 days later to retrieve it and it was gone. If I remember correctly the owner got his sled back from the person who retrieved it from the lake bottom.

Offline Johnny3Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:39 PM »
I saw ATV's on the lake between North Hampton and Sport Island both Thursday and Saturday afternoon and they were crossing the lake from one side to the other.  They would get a running start on land and throttle it all the way across.
J3W

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:45 PM »
hahah heard about that and id give dec the info ..no need for that kinda stuff to go on..
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:28 AM »
I'm sure that will be the first of many..
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:58 AM »
For the second time. The $1000 a day is a joke its not even $100. 2 yrs ago a few peoples quads went thru on sodus bay they were charged $75 that day and either $55/$65 a day after that.
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:25 AM »
Not sure what the law is these days but years ago me and my brother found an almost new 18 HP outboard motor that jumped off a boat, on the bottom. We fished it out and got it home. The owner came after it claiming it was his and he wanted it back. The DEC got involved and there is what is known as Salvage Rights. We got to keep the motor because the owner was not doing anything to get it out and just left it.

You might find some info if you google underwater salvage rights for NY.

As far as the fines go I bet the registered owner would be responsible no matter what unless he reported the machine stolen.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:05 AM »
For the second time. The $1000 a day is a joke its not even $100. 2 yrs ago a few peoples quads went thru on sodus bay they were charged $75 that day and either $55/$65 a day after that.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Go get it.

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:16 AM »

Wouldn't that be considered theft in NY? There was a similar situation on the Saginaw Bay last year, or the year before, where someone dropped a sled to the bottom and returned 4 or 5 days later to retrieve it and it was gone. If I remember correctly the owner got his sled back from the person who retrieved it from the lake bottom.
its not theft unless u steal it. An abandoned anything is fair game. Once abandoned title means nothing more then who to charge if something was wrong from it being abandoned. And that situation u spoke of the guy is lucky he got it back. The only way it is still theres is if they had contacted dec. If not they coulda been called in as witness to the guy who fished it out

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:28 AM »
if you think that the 1000 dollar fine is a joke    drop a wheeler in lake george   in 06 a buddy went through  the wheeler was in the lake overnight   less then 24 hours later it was out    he is getting his fine and bill so i can copy it and scan it in here    total amount paid  $ 2346.76  im sure he would of loved to pay 100 bucks instead    here in the adk  the econ officers dont like stuff in the lakes
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:37 AM »
if you think that the 1000 dollar fine is a joke    drop a wheeler in lake george   in 06 a buddy went through  the wheeler was in the lake overnight   less then 24 hours later it was out    he is getting his fine and bill so i can copy it and scan it in here    total amount paid  $ 2346.76  im sure he would of loved to pay 100 bucks instead    here in the adk  the econ officers dont like stuff in the lakes
i feel bad for him haveing to pay that much. But i believe its standard across the state for fines and what not from dec. R u sure that that wasnt majority removal bill cuz dec has the removal equip. And they prolly charge out the butt for it.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:39 AM »
most of the time i think removal is separate and usually you get someone on your own, from what I've heard.

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:41 AM »
Id dive for it myself. But i know they have the equip so maybe they did it for him.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:23 AM »
Not sure how the fines and removle was seperated.   
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:50 AM »
its not theft unless u steal it. An abandoned anything is fair game. Once abandoned title means nothing more then who to charge if something was wrong from it being abandoned. And that situation u spoke of the guy is lucky he got it back. The only way it is still theres is if they had contacted dec. If not they coulda been called in as witness to the guy who fished it out

It was still his property, whether it sat in his garage or on the lake bottom. I am pretty sure the threat of being charged with grand theft is what got him the sled back.

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:11 AM »
If he never told authorities tho its abandoned. Unless claimed stolen. Then its a totally dif story but has repercussions if faulse. Its touchy but on public property or state property for that matter if abandoned its salvage if someone wants to pay to or do themselves getting it out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.