New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fire line ice line  (Read 4126 times)

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fire line ice line
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:35 PM »
thank you guys for all the replies and info . I've lost two wallies this year at the hole because i fish pan fish with 2# test line . saw this line at 6* is about 2# dia.. I think i'm going to try this . thank you all again

YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE MONO BACKING, WHEN YOU START PUTTING ON THE LINE (AFTER 2 OR 3 ROTATIONS) TAPE THE LINE TO THE SPOOL (ELECTRIC TAPE WORKS BEST)!!!!!!!!

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:38 AM »
Yeah, that way the spool will be way underfilled ... there are 2 reasons for the mono backer, for one as a "filler" since fireline is so thin, and secondly to keep from spinning.  Electrical tape only addresses the first, not the latter. 

Someone also mentioned using "high quality" line as a backer like AN40 ... why I do not know.  If you get down past 125 yds of fireline to the backer ... you are no doubt in over your head and are getting spanked.  I don't think Silver Thread will help!  Use the cheap stuff for a backer ... you'll never get down that far, if you do you are screwed anyway!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:50 AM »
Yeah, that way the spool will be way underfilled ... there are 2 reasons for the mono backer, for one as a "filler" since fireline is so thin, and secondly to keep from spinning.  Electrical tape only addresses the first, not the latter. 

Someone also mentioned using "high quality" line as a backer like AN40 ... why I do not know.  If you get down past 125 yds of fireline to the backer ... you are no doubt in over your head and are getting spanked.  I don't think Silver Thread will help!  Use the cheap stuff for a backer ... you'll never get down that far, if you do you are screwed anyway!
thats  right on the money mono is so cheap,  put enough mono on so when the fire line goes on the spool is full , you'll be a much happier fishermen for it .

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:58 AM »
I don't know maybe I am silly. I use the Fire Ice Line as a leader. Thats all. I use a Dacron Poly line that you would call "Backing." If you ever get a big fish. I mean a big one, you have all you can do to keep the line from getting cut or frayed by the edges of the hole you drilled. When we see a snap come and you have the leader in your hand you are almost there. I guess I don't fish the way some of you do. We jig and use tip up's or downs all with the leader. I never spool a reel with Fire Line. I still really don't understand what you are doing, and don't really care. Fire Line is awesome leader material. Thin and really strong. If you fish you jnow that keeping your bait alive is really important if you are targeting Trout and LL Salmon. Small hooks and very light leaders are key. All this talk about coils and wave's aint going get it. WE jig in 70-80 feet for Lakers. If you are using the Fire line with no weight, you have a substantial jig. If you are claiming to use small jigs w/o some extra weight, You my friend have never worked the deeper waters. Again. I never, ever shop at Gander or BPS. These guys have never really fished and they are all beside themselves with talent.  The last thing I want is advice from them. I say again Jerk Clerks  making $7.50 an hour are not the guys to get advice from. You will get better advise asking here than you ever would at one of the Big Box stores.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:25 PM »

Someone also mentioned using "high quality" line as a backer like AN40 ... why I do not know.  If you get down past 125 yds of fireline to the backer ... you are no doubt in over your head and are getting spanked.  I don't think Silver Thread will help!  Use the cheap stuff for a backer ... you'll never get down that far, if you do you are screwed anyway!   I normally use between 50 and 100 feet of Fireline backed by a good quality copolymer line like Silver Thread AN-40 or other low memory lines.
If you had read my post thoroughly, you might have known "Why"
  When fishing waters less than 50 feet, why would you waste 125 yards of Fireline ? ::) ::)     I use higher quality lines as backers for many reasons..   Some of which you obviously can't comprehend.      Using a higher quality line as backing gives you a better chance at landing a big fish should you hook one.  If the fish gets to the point where you're into the backing line on the reel, a better line will have less memory and come off the spool with a lot less memory and coiling.  Not to mention better knot strength/breaking point etc.
  The best option if you're using Fireline and have to have the whole 125 yards on the reel is to find a reel with a super shallow spool.  Then all that is needed is a piece of tape or rubber band for a backer.

PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:38 PM »
I don't know maybe I am silly. I use the Fire Ice Line as a leader. Thats all. I use a Dacron Poly line that you would call "Backing." If you ever get a big fish. I mean a big one, you have all you can do to keep the line from getting cut or frayed by the edges of the hole you drilled. When we see a snap come and you have the leader in your hand you are almost there. I guess I don't fish the way some of you do. We jig and use tip up's or downs all with the leader. I never spool a reel with Fire Line. I still really don't understand what you are doing, and don't really care. Fire Line is awesome leader material. Thin and really strong. If you fish you jnow that keeping your bait alive is really important if you are targeting Trout and LL Salmon. Small hooks and very light leaders are key. All this talk about coils and wave's aint going get it. WE jig in 70-80 feet for Lakers. If you are using the Fire line with no weight, you have a substantial jig. If you are claiming to use small jigs w/o some extra weight, You my friend have never worked the deeper waters.         Have you ever heard of "Tungsten jigs" ?    There's more to getting a small jig down into deep water than just the weight of the jig.   I've fished 160 feet of water for lakers using a 1/16th oz jig and it got to the bottom in a flash.  Come out to Braddocks Bay Saturday and I'll show you the set up I use. 
   Again. I never, ever shop at Gander or BPS. These guys have never really fished and they are all beside themselves with talent.  The last thing I want is advice from them. I say again Jerk Clerks  making $7.50 an hour are not the guys to get advice from.I know several Gander Mountain employees that are pro and semi pro tournament fishermen !    I'm sure you've never talked to any of them ::) You will get better advise asking here than you ever would at one of the Big Box stores. Too many people here use the word "Best" too many times.    Would you consider the answer that a mora auger is the best out there to be good advice ?  I've seen it several times over the years.  Those posts are from people who've never spun a Nils Master....or even Strikemaster Lazer for that matter ::)
 They know WHAT THEY KNOW and preach it as gospel  ::) ::)

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:56 PM »

Yup people preach what they know. I  read your preaching and I am pretty convinced that this thread is a waste of time. You continue to post with your techniques. Great. Maybe someone with little or no experience will listen.
And no Tournament Fisherman I know or I have met works at Gander or Bass Pro. Maybe they work there, but really how much could you possibly make at Gander 25K a year on a good year?
And it's interesting you claim to be fishing 160' on ice? I honestly don't know where. Maybe the Northwest Territories?

I have  no intrest in seeing your set up. I have my own. It works great for me.
And BTW Mora drills are awesome. You have to  keep the blades like razors. Most folks can't do that or just don't. Do you sharpen the Blades at Gander? Or send them out. Lets see the little Bait shop down the way has a Mora blade fixture and The owner Danny will sharpen them while you wait. You won't get service like that at  the BIG BOX. Never. 

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:21 PM »
Just to let you know Mr. Capp, your comment about people working in big box stores deosn't offend me.  I deal with ignorant people like yourself every day that I work.  Like I said before, I work at Gander Mountain part time... not that it makes a difference.  I am a full time student.  I went back to school after taking many years off.  I also happen to fish more hours than I work at Gander Mountain.  I have been fishing for over 20 years.  It's my passion and it's what I do.  I also happen to be a tournament angler during the summer, when I am not in school. I started working at a place that I can relate to, to help out fellow anglers and to get beginners and young people more involved in our sport.  I even founded a fishing club at the college for the same reason.  I also happen to belong to other clubs and organizations locally that are related to fishing, and participate in community service to help make our local fisheries healthier for us and for our children.  Now I know this is another somewhat "lengthy dissertation" but I simplized it for you this time and didn't use any big words other than ignorant.  So, unlike my other post maybe someone like yourself can understand what I'm trying to say here (since my last description was too complicated for you).  I am an angler ( a person who participates in the act of fishing) who fishes for multi-species, with multi-techniques 2-5 days a week, every month out of the year.  So, because I recently started working part time at Gander Mountain, and that I don't make alot of money there, that automatically erases all of the prior knowledge and current involvement that I have in the sport  of fishing? Can anyone else explain Mr. Capps logic here, because I am a little lost.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Yup people preach what they know. I  read your preaching No preaching.  Just suggestions based on experiences that I've had       and I am pretty convinced that this thread is a waste of time.   ::) ::) ::)
   You continue to post with your techniques. Great. Maybe someone with little or no experience will listen. You may be that guy  ;D
And no Tournament Fisherman I know or I have met works at Gander or Bass Pro. Have you ever been to Gander in Henrietta or Cicero NY ?    Or Bass Pro in Auburn ?     Good start right there
   Maybe they work there, but really how much could you possibly make at Gander 25K a year on a good year? So what you're saying is that if they don't make a ton of money that they can't possibly be very good fishermen ?  ::) ::)   Also, who says they're in it for the money ?  Some people work in the field that they like because of the enjoyment it gives them.   Try it sometime  ;)
And it's interesting you claim to be fishing 160' on ice? I honestly don't know where. Maybe the Northwest Territories? Close.   Lake of the Woods, Crow Lake, and Whitefish Bay in NW Ontario

I have  no intrest in seeing your set up. Well come out and say hello and have a beer, coffee or whatever is cooking on the grill I have my own. It works great for me.
And BTW Mora drills are awesome. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)     You have to  keep the blades like razors.   Might as well quit fishing a spend all winter sharpening your blades then  ::)  
  Most folks can't do that or just don't.    Correct  !   We own Nils Master augers  ;D
    Do you sharpen the Blades at Gander? Or send them out.   Read above
   Lets see the little Bait shop down the way has a Mora blade fixture and The owner Danny will sharpen them while you wait. You won't get service like that at  the BIG BOX. Never.   That's great !    It's good to see that someone is looking out for those who still use antique augers  :P :P ::) ;D ;D

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Here is my Beef with the big  box stores. The move in and the little guys that give you good service move out. All the big box store have big city out of state managent and no local ties none except the employees working for poverty wage. Maybe once a year the  big city management team shines their shoes and walks the sales floor. Oh boy the  big shots are here.

If sales suck, the big box shuts the downs and down  the road to more profitable pastures. It happens all the time. The little guys are gone and nobody fills the void.  

Some of the little guys had been in biz for years. But when you buy your sales product by the boxcar load and the little guy buys a trunk load you can't compete. The big box stores have it all. Money, real estate, the only thing they don't have is talent. With the hourly wage they pay the full timers what kind of talent would you expect? I compare it to the local big box computer store. If  you are so computer literate why are you working at Best Buy or the like making 7-9 dollars an hour? You get what you  pay for.

All I wanted to say was how nice fire line is to use. It has limitations. Do whatever you freaking want with it. I am done.
Look on the strikemaster threads you'll find me preaching there too.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:01 PM »
Just to let you know Mr. Capp, your comment about people working in big box stores deosn't offend me.  I deal with ignorant people like yourself every day that I work.  Like I said before, I work at Gander Mountain part time... not that it makes a difference.  I am a full time student.  I went back to school after taking many years off.  I also happen to fish more hours than I work at Gander Mountain.  I have been fishing for over 20 years.  It's my passion and it's what I do.  I also happen to be a tournament angler during the summer, when I am not in school. I started working at a place that I can relate to, to help out fellow anglers and to get beginners and young people more involved in our sport.  I even founded a fishing club at the college for the same reason.  I also happen to belong to other clubs and organizations locally that are related to fishing, and participate in community service to help make our local fisheries healthier for us and for our children.  Now I know this is another somewhat "lengthy dissertation" but I simplized it for you this time and didn't use any big words other than ignorant.  So, unlike my other post maybe someone like yourself can understand what I'm trying to say here (since my last description was too complicated for you).  I am an angler ( a person who participates in the act of fishing) who fishes for multi-species, with multi-techniques 2-5 days a week, every month out of the year.  So, because I recently started working part time at Gander Mountain, and that I don't make alot of money there, that automatically erases all of the prior knowledge and current involvement that I have in the sport  of fishing? Can anyone else explain Mr. Capps logic here, because I am a little lost.
Mr.Capp and "Logic" in the same sentence is like oil and water !    It just won't blend  ;D

Well said Pimplejigger !       Too bad there weren't more like you out there !

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:32 PM »
wow ac cool down there man! i share your views on big buisness vs the little guy and i'll go to the little guy every time, wallmart and the likes rape the local ecconomy and put everybody else out of buisness. This however has nothing at all to do with a brand of line....pimple jigger, you offered up sound advice and got ripped a new one by someone with an unrelated chip on thier shoulder. Kudos to you working a part time Mc Job while going through school, i've done the same.might as well work there as anywhere else. (i'll bet most of your wages are eaten up in the stuff you put on lay away in there any way ;D!)
 sudo-political off topic ethical rants are a waste of my reading time, if i wanted bs i'd go and join some numpty peta forum and argue with those guys!

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Save your breath. This guy (hAndyCrapP)just likes to muck up every thread in the Shanty.
Dude I know you're following me around. You can just blink my posts out. Make me dissapear.  I just made you go away.

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:27 PM »

And no Tournament Fisherman I know or I have met works at Gander or Bass Pro. Have you ever been to Gander in Henrietta or Cicero NY ?    Or Bass Pro in Auburn ?     Good start right there

Lets clear the air.  I was on the Frabill Pro Staff for many years(16) . I have traveled all over the NE and Canada, and I bet I  have been in more Gander MT, Bass Pro Shops than I want to talk about. I was even making stops in Dicks Sporting Goods 15 years ago, honest. Giving seminars on Ice Fishing. Did I ever meet a real Pro working at any of these stores? To be honest NO. I met guys that fished local derbies and maybe some small time travel. The Pro's making a living fishing are all down south, all winter in fact fishing.

If I were inclined (and I'm not really too inclined) I could get you some great free gear at Frabill.  But you guys are fishing pros. You don't need a dolt like me to help you out. You can just do that on your own. Send Frabill a pic of you and a fish. Tell them you enjoy Frabill products and wait for the mail to come. Frabill is a great customer oriented company and you never know just what they might send you.

Maybe they work there, but really how much could you possibly make at Gander 25K a year on a good year? So what you're saying is that if they don't make a ton of money that they can't possibly be very good fishermen ?

Nope never said that.  People that work at low paying jobs are getting what they want. I can't support my famly with a "Fun Job "I Enjoy. I have bills to pay.

And it's interesting you claim to be fishing 160' on ice? I honestly don't know where. Maybe the Northwest Territories? Close.   Lake of the Woods, Crow Lake, and Whitefish Bay in NW Ontario.

Well you must know something I don't. I have never fished through the Ice that deep for Lakers. The biggest one I caught was 24lbs and I got that one in <10" of water. I have fished all over Canada. Never have I fished that deep in the winter for lakers NEVER. I guess guys do, but I do much better (like all the other guys that know where the big Lakers are) in the shalow water. The big ones just gorge on the baitfish all winter right near shore. The water is cold and full of food. There is not much food at 160' during the winter.

And BTW Mora drills are awesome. You have to  keep the blades like razors.   Might as well quit fishing a spend all winter sharpening your blades then  

Really if it takes you more that 2 minutes to put an edge on the Mora blade (You only sharpen one side) then you should buy something else that will fit into your disposable life.  You get them ground once a year and keep them like a razor with a diamond hone. Just as quick with good blades as anything you have.

!    It's good to see that someone is looking out for those who still use antique augers    

Yup it's good to see that there are some old school guys out there. Still  hanging in there after a Big Box Store comes in and steals your life.

You can call it whatever you want, the way I see you is a Sport, a magazine fisherman. You read about fishing and now you are making belive you are doing it. I mean really fishing at 160' for Lakers. What did you use to get your bait down a boat anchor? I am sure you have a great explanation on how you did it, but my experience tells me otherwise.

Offline southpondvh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:16 PM »
sorry guys all iwanted to know if anyone has used  fire line ice and how it worked out. didnt mean to beat up on anyone and where they work.

Offline reelcrazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:33 PM »
I use fireline on my jigging rods.  You can't beat the feel. It has no stretch and you can feel everything.  I do use a mono backer, but tape might work well.  I use 2lb and don't use a mono leader.  It doesn't seem to spook fish.  The fireline ice is white, but is virtually invisible under water. 

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Keep arguing and maybe the cost of a license will go up again to cover the lawyers fees . Nobody on this site needs to listen to your differences discussed in this manner if you disagree with what is said then don't give the other person fuel to carry on .JMO
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:14 PM »
I use fireline on my jigging rods.  You can't beat the feel. It has no stretch and you can feel everything.  I do use a mono backer, but tape might work well.  I use 2lb and don't use a mono leader.  It doesn't seem to spook fish.  The fireline ice is white, but is virtually invisible under water.  
I use Fire Line or Vanish as leaders on all my set ups. We pull some big ones out now and then. With the fire Line on a Dacron/Poly line for backing there is really no stretch. It's so awesome to feel that big fish shaking his head trying to pull that hook out. With the low-no stretch line you feel every twitch the fish makes. If you tie a barrel swivel on the tip end and a snap on the leader you  have enough weight to get the line down straight. The barrle swivel also helps cut down on the line twist.  That's important when you are fishing live bait.  
 In addition if we catch a nice one we are taking home we just cut the line and leave the hook in place. Snap a fresh pre-tied leader onto to the tip line. The bigger ones usually are hooked pretty deep. No fuss no muss and your fingers are still warm. No knots tie on a cold day. And your knots are perfect if you tied enough at home.  If you want to catch the big ones Fire Line is awesome, and your knots need to be perfect.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #48 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Just another runaway thread I guess ... some people just get a little out of control over nothing.

Gamma fish ... if you have nothing better to do than pick apart everything I write on Ice Shanty, then you my friend need a new hobby, or a life.

Back to the Fireline ... I use it, lots of others do, great line.  If you haven't tried it I suggest you give it a go and see for yourself ... blah blah blah blah.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:01 PM »
What pimplejigger said was actually quite clear and very true (whether or not he works at a big store or not) a job is a job my friend. The "waves" he is referring to would be the coils from is being spooled on a spinning reel. And yes if your jg/bait isnt heavy enough to straighten it out, then of course you wont be feeling many of the light bites. I dont understand why people have to try and bash someone personally just because THEY DONT understand what someone is trying to say.
i agree with you
i think if people cannot say something good then nothing
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.