New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 50 fish perch limit  (Read 14039 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: 50 fish perch limit
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Not for nothing, but just wondering how many times do you guys actually get 50 fish limits each season? Of course you can do it at Chamaunt bay,  and maybe Onieda, but We ice-fish pretty seriously here around western N.Y. and only keep the perch that are over 9". Honestly, If I clean 20-30 fish it's a real good day!
I don't think I'd even WANT to clean 50 fish unless I was having a family reunion or something ;)Anyway , what's your thoughts? C Ya    deV-0>/

Right on man. My best day ever was 30 perch, they were all over 9" caught on tip-ups. I don't understand why soemone would want to keep more than 50 perch if they have to clean them all.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Right on man. My best day ever was 30 perch, they were all over 9" caught on tip-ups. I don't understand why soemone would want to keep more than 50 perch if they have to clean them all.

An electric filet knife makes short work of 50 perch, and 50 perch don't go that far when you have elderly family and neighbors that enjoy them and are unable to get them themselves.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:50 PM »

Well if you got that darn jig rod out of your basket and stopped taking naps a 30 perch day would be an average day. But, I think I would need a nap after catching 30 perch, all on tipup's. That's some hustlin'!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Well if you got that darn jig rod out of your basket and stopped taking naps a 30 perch day would be an average day. But, I think I would need a nap after catching 30 perch, all on tipup's. That's some hustlin'!

Right on. You are called prchslyr for a reason. I don't mind putting the time in on the rod when the bite is on, and usually ice a dozen for the freezer when you catch your 40. I lose interest quickly if I go 3 minutes without a bite on the rod, then it's back to staring at tip-ups without blinking until a flag goes up.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:24 AM »
I watched the women clean perch in Port Stanley,Ontario. After the fish were scaled on a Simor machine and headed, they could do 12 to 15 a minute. Go to a Canadian Fishing port, get yourself a new wife, and you will have no problem cleaning fish.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:54 AM »
I can't clean 15 perch a minute, but with either a sharp knife or electric knife one could fillet a perch a minute.  It's easier to fillet them after they stiffen up a bit. 
Leave it better than you found it

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:11 AM »
we're getting off topic here, and if anyone is interested I'll start a new thread on it but... the last 2 seasons cormorant diet study reports (from analyzing remains after corm's digest the fish) show perch, bass, walleye, and other native species to be almost absent from cormorant diets in eastern lake ontario and the st lawrence... the new #1 is the goby. slow, soft, and prolific. also the reason our predatory fish ate growing so fast. I LOVE GOBY'S

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:13 AM »
 u r wroung no limit starts at montaro point up there is no limit on perch henderson as ben good big ones 9to14inches chamount has been good 2 nice fish there this year open water was awsome when u were on a shcool as many as u wanted was doing 100to365lbs on some days . cant wait 4 the ice 2 start up there  :thumbsup:
lets rip some lips its time to fish

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:24 AM »
u r wroung no limit starts at montaro point up there is no limit on perch henderson as ben good big ones 9to14inches chamount has been good 2 nice fish there this year open water was awsome when u were on a shcool as many as u wanted was doing 100to365lbs on some days . cant wait 4 the ice 2 start up there  :thumbsup:

So, lets see, if it takes 1 minute to clean a fish and at a half pound apiece, 365lbs. equals 730 fish , then it would take over 10 hours to clean all of them and at the rate of 1 beer for every 10 fish.................W OW I'd be wasted in less than 4 hours and have to quit cleaning fish. I'll still be happy with only 20 or so.
 :o

-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:33 AM »
goodthing i dont drink  and keep what i eat and sell the rest or give it away :cookoo:

Offline bryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging 4 PERCH!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Not for nothing, but just wondering how many times do you guys actually get 50 fish limits each season? Of course you can do it at Chamaunt bay,  and maybe Onieda, but We ice-fish pretty seriously here around western N.Y. and only keep the perch that are over 9". Honestly, If I clean 20-30 fish it's a real good day!
I don't think I'd even WANT to clean 50 fish unless I was having a family reunion or something ;)Anyway , what's your thoughts? C Ya    deV-0>/
  EXACTELY!!!!!!!

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:13 AM »
most of the bays here on the east end of the big O it is pretty easy to limit out on 9"+ most of the time

Offline muskrat bay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Get you some of that"
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:45 PM »
i talked to a gentleman today and he belongs to the jefferson county fishing coalition and at the recent meeting there was alot of discussion about a 50 limit in jefferson county he said you might see it next year i guess there is alot of opposition from the charter guys
"life aint no rehearsal boy,you only get one chance, you will learn it by the seat of your pants"

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:15 PM »
This year having a job I will not keep my limit everytime out as I do not NEED the fish for my family . Cleaning 50 fish is a pain but I got 3 kids who love fish and we NEEDED to eat last year . 50 is more than a meal for sure, but january february of last year I was worried i would not be working for a while so I put alot in the freezer. They are all gone now apparantely I didn't keep enough. BTW the family's mercury levels remained below average. The kid's doctor was a bit concerned when I told them we eat freshwater fish 4 or 5 times a week. I know the lake I fish in can handle a 50 fish limit.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #44 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:37 PM »
keep what your going to clean and eat    up to 50 that is ;)
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:30 AM »
The 50 perch limit was shot down by the DEC on Lake Champlain this year. Apparently they woke up to the fact some waters need more perch harvested. We need a balanced population of fish and too many perch can ruin the fishing for other species.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:14 AM »
I was reading some where that the DEC was going to put a 50 fish limit on them to make it illegal to sell them.  Apperantly if a fish as a limit it is illegal to sell.  I will see if I can find the artical.
;

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I was reading some where that the DEC was going to put a 50 fish limit on them to make it illegal to sell them.  Apperantly if a fish as a limit it is illegal to sell.  I will see if I can find the artical.

Actually I think if a fish has a season or min. length it make it a gamefish and illegal to sell....

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #48 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:16 AM »
looks like we're heading down a slippery slope with this topic and some folks are going to get fired up again about selling fish... happens every year. It's politics and not science when it comes to the great lakes and most of the other DEC regulation changes. Inland waters can be hurt by over OR UNDER fishing, but you are not going to be able to effect the populations in lake O with commercial HOOK and LINE fishing. the commercial netters are a different story. And I'm not just spouting off my opinion, I do alot of fisheries research on the eastern end of lake ontario, the hook and line fishing here is the heaviest pressure we have ever seen, and the perch numbers and size abundance are still going up every year in our surveys.
The folks who are pushing for a limit the hardest have probably never set a foot in jefferson county.
there, I said it. you may commence to offer your difference in opinion BASED ON FACTS.

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Actually I think if a fish has a season or min. length it make it a gamefish and illegal to sell....
there is on size limit and u can fish them year round in jeffcounty the only thing that is diff is oswego as a 50 fish limit big deal let people who sell them do it and if u dont than keep the fish u want i my self do both that little extra a week helps me

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Weather you sell them or not.  Weather right or wrong.  Either way it doesn't matter & for the record I was not trying to push the topic there.  It must not be hurting the fishery as I have caught alll I have ever wanted when I have been up to my cottage in Jeff county.  I have never sold any have 3 kids and and my inlaws love fresh fish so I can not catch them fast enough.....On another side my mother inlaw has bought fish before so I guess it is good someone is selling them.
;

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:15 PM »
Weather you sell them or not.  Weather right or wrong.  Either way it doesn't matter & for the record I was not trying to push the topic there.  It must not be hurting the fishery as I have caught alll I have ever wanted when I have been up to my cottage in Jeff county.  I have never sold any have 3 kids and and my inlaws love fresh fish so I can not catch them fast enough.....On another side my mother inlaw has bought fish before so I guess it is good someone is selling them.
its not it has gotten better the past few years thanks 2 the gobes the perch love them dum things .catching them in the perch 1to4 inches long and bigger in the 11to14inch perch amazing what they can fit in there mouths .i also say selling them helps feed people who dont fish or just cant anymore so one hand washes the other

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 09, 2009, 03:55 PM »
we're getting off topic here, and if anyone is interested I'll start a new thread on it but... the last 2 seasons cormorant diet study reports (from analyzing remains after corm's digest the fish) show perch, bass, walleye, and other native species to be almost absent from cormorant diets in eastern lake ontario and the st lawrence... the new #1 is the goby. slow, soft, and prolific. also the reason our predatory fish ate growing so fast. I LOVE GOBY'S

THANK YOU!!!! 8)

if i don't limit out on perch then it was a mediocre day at best. best day was 3 holes each 10' from the last once i found them. did at least 3X my limit and they were still pretty much jumping out of the hole when i left. and i wasn't even using the marcum.

i also have run tipups to get them where the pressure is heavy. more work but fun. 
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Dec 09, 2009, 04:37 PM »
who would in their right mind buy a perch  gee    >:D   :) nasty fish!!!!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:00 PM »
who would in their right mind buy a perch  gee    >:D   :) nasty fish!!!!

So what do you eat, not those rotten slimy lakers! Yuk!!!!!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #55 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:17 PM »
I hope they don't put a 50 perch limit on Champlain, my uncle buys and sells fish from there and He'll probably go under if they do. :-\
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:06 PM »
I hope they don't put a 50 perch limit on Champlain, my uncle buys and sells fish from there and He'll probably go under if they do. :-\
Honey's?
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Dec 10, 2009, 03:08 AM »
Purchase and sale

Fish that are salable at any time include:

* Those species in the STATEWIDE ANGLING REGULATIONS table for which there is no closed season or no minimum length.
    * Fish taken on licensed fishing preserves. These fish must be properly tagged prior to removal from preserve premises.
    * The following fish only if taken outside of New York or if legally taken in licensed commercial gear: coho, chinook and pink salmon, Atlantic salmon, lake trout, whitefish, pickerel, crappie, northern pike and walleye. Additional regulations may apply to the sale of these imported fish; contact a DEC Regional Office for more information. Exception: the American eel is the only fish taken from the Quebec portion of Lake Champlain and the Richelieu River that may be transported into and sold in New York State.

Fish that are non-salable, unless taken on a licensed fishing preserve or private hatchery and properly tagged, include black bass, landlocked salmon, muskellunge and trout.
Exceptions:

Sale of catfish taken in Lake Ontario and its tributaries upstream to the first barrier and in the St. Lawrence River is prohibited. Sale of American eel from Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence, Hudson, Harlem and East Rivers is prohibited except for use as bait. Sale of coho, chinook and pink salmon taken in Lake Erie, Niagara River, Lake Ontario, St. Lawrence River and their tributaries upstream to the first barrier impassable by fish is prohibited except that eggs may be bought and sold.

Read the little book that we all get with our licenses.....It's important!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 10, 2009, 03:37 AM »
This year having a job I will not keep my limit everytime out as I do not NEED the fish for my family . Cleaning 50 fish is a pain but I got 3 kids who love fish and we NEEDED to eat last year . 50 is more than a meal for sure, but january february of last year I was worried i would not be working for a while so I put alot in the freezer. They are all gone now apparantely I didn't keep enough. BTW the family's mercury levels remained below average. The kid's doctor was a bit concerned when I told them we eat freshwater fish 4 or 5 times a week. I know the lake I fish in can handle a 50 fish limit.
I see nothing wrong with keeping fish for feeding your family. If I had to I would hunt and fish all year long to take care of mine too. That shows that you know who comes first. The ones that bother me are the ones keeping them just because!!! I saw some guys on Lake George a few years ago keep a ton of Perch, leave and then come back about 20 minutes later with empty buckets. That's why we have to have laws is because of guys like that.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 10, 2009, 05:21 AM »
   So what do you eat, not those rotten slimy lakers! Yuk!!!!!
yes he does them nasty things . lakers yuk!!!!  :wacko: :cookoo:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.