New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 50 fish perch limit  (Read 14035 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 50 fish perch limit
« Reply #60 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:09 AM »
I see nothing wrong with keeping fish for feeding your family. If I had to I would hunt and fish all year long to take care of mine too. That shows that you know who comes first. The ones that bother me are the ones keeping them just because!!! I saw some guys on Lake George a few years ago keep a ton of Perch, leave and then come back about 20 minutes later with empty buckets. That's why we have to have laws is because of guys like that.
I'm not normally the type of dude that would call any kind of enforcement on anyone. But the older I get, the more stuff like that bothers me. I try to follow the regs to a "T" as I'm sure most of the people on here do. I'm curious though. If you called DEC with a tip. Would they have at least investigated those guys? I'm fairly sure there is an officer somewhere on that lake on any given weekend day. I know they have the tip hotline. How serious do they take the calls?
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:13 AM »
   So what do you eat, not those rotten slimy lakers! Yuk!!!!!
If and when I make it out to Onieda. I'll be sure to bring a couple laker fillets to cook up on my camp grill. Good eats on a grill With lemon and onion.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:25 AM »
New York has a good number of Laker waters, I typically don't target them because of there oilyness on the table.  I gotta give the grilling with lemon and onions a shot.   :flex:
Leave it better than you found it

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:14 AM »
The USA imports from offshore three trillion dollars of seafood annually, so while you are sitting on your bucket, you could be helping our balance of payments to foreign countries. Perch are so prolific, in our major bodies of water, you can not outfish the perch. You will quit when they become hard to catch.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #64 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:24 AM »
kudos to everyone, I gotta say I expected to see a bunch of nasty responses this morning to what I said yesterday about fish populations and selling hook and line fish, but not a single negative response.
If we would all keep up this type of support for our fellow sportsmen and women who are engaged in legal activities even if we do not participate (hunting, fishing, trapping, ect.) we would be a much stronger brotherhood and a unified force against those who would try to stop our outdoor persuits.   ;D

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:29 AM »
I'm not normally the type of dude that would call any kind of enforcement on anyone. But the older I get, the more stuff like that bothers me. I try to follow the regs to a "T" as I'm sure most of the people on here do. I'm curious though. If you called DEC with a tip. Would they have at least investigated those guys? I'm fairly sure there is an officer somewhere on that lake on any given weekend day. I know they have the tip hotline. How serious do they take the calls?
Not to serious at all i called the dec tipline a few years back on some deer poachers and they told me unless i had pics of the people dumping the bodies off there was nothing they could do. i knew who it was i had seen them drop bodies off b4 but had no pics. maybe they take fishing more serious but i doubt it

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #66 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:58 AM »
Not to serious at all i called the dec tipline a few years back on some deer poachers and they told me unless i had pics of the people dumping the bodies off there was nothing they could do. i knew who it was i had seen them drop bodies off b4 but had no pics. maybe they take fishing more serious but i doubt it
  Actually the DEC Police don't have a full plate during the winter months like during the southern zone gun season or our salmon season, I was checked 3 times last year on the ice! I'm sure they would come that day, maybe not in a few minutes!  Also the DEC Police aren't stupid, they know what's going on, just a matter of time!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #67 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:59 AM »
I dont usually get involved in discussions like this but last summer a retired guy I know was bragging about how he had caught and sold over 2000 crappies during the open water season. Im sorry I just dont think thats right. I love to fish always have since I was 3 years old. But I have never even thought about selling one. IMO 50 perch would feed me and my wife for a month. I look at fresh fish fillets as a treat not something you live on.

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #68 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:10 AM »
I dont usually get involved in discussions like this but last summer a retired guy I know was bragging about how he had caught and sold over 2000 crappies during the open water season. Im sorry I just dont think thats right. I love to fish always have since I was 3 years old. But I have never even thought about selling one. IMO 50 perch would feed me and my wife for a month. I look at fresh fish fillets as a treat not something you live on.
I'm assuming he wasn't in NY since you can't sell crappies here.

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #69 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:16 AM »
after a hard day of fishing, fileting more than fifty perch might seem like a chore to me. I agree with the regulations, keep some in the pond for the next guy, or for your kids to harvest some day! ;D

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:06 PM »
  EXACTELY!!!!!!!
i fish lake george alot and champlain a few times a year. i have gone 5 days in a row with 50 fish limit on george all over 10 inches and a few times have been off the ice by 10 am. i prefer to drink while using the old electric so i will save a 100 plus fish before i start cutting, go out ot garage put on tv and space heater and get away for a while. cant be hiding in the garage drinking beer regularly and maintain a healthy marriage IMO. i have used the no limit policy on perch on champlain one time this june when i kpet 80 great fish.luckily i did because summer fishing was rough and all those fish are a distant memory. i grew up next to irondequoit bay and have never limited there or sodus but a 30 fish day is rewarding because the fish are freakin great. i mean the 10 -12 inchers on george are nice but i get a lot more 12-14 inch fish out west and they are a blast. once i have my "quota" i still get out and keep a dozen for fresh sandwiches and toss the rest back. i love the maine guys on here, no disrepsect cause i got good people up in Buckfield, but i love how you guys HATE yellow perch with a passion and throw em on the rocks and then turn around and throw a largemouth in with the bullhead and white perch in the 5 gallon bucket.each 2 their own ;D
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Crappies have to be 9" to keep not 8

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:14 PM »
8 inches on champlain i believe... they have a strange set of nys rules similiar to vermont. the buyers next to the lake do buy crappies. they are offering 2.40 pound or something at norms in crown point.you have that reciprical thing on champlain with vermont and it must be legal there or something or no ones worried. remember a few years ago the place in rochester got crushed by DEC with posession of many crappies. i have fished the lake at least 50 tims fro perch and ahve never even seen a crappie, wonder why ???

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:22 PM »
No I haven't, first time was from you. I think we are safe for this season. Cheeks out!!! 8)
Ska!
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

Offline shroom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:49 PM »
The USA imports from offshore three trillion dollars of seafood annually, so while you are sitting on your bucket, you could be helping our balance of payments to foreign countries. Perch are so prolific, in our major bodies of water, you can not outfish the perch. You will quit when they become hard to catch.

I wish we could get them on the Lk Michigan side over here like we use to. Catching 50 of those would be heaven. We do get some nice runs, but nothing like 20yrs ago. And somewhere I read where people were throwing them on the rocks?. Oh my, lk perch and walleye are mighty fine eatin.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Dec 19, 2009, 01:53 PM »
 i find it humorus that people complain if someone else sells there limit of fish, yet i see  fish tossed on the ice  or in the parking lot! if someone wants to sell them i see nothing wrong with this! at this time (and you can check with the dec) our panfish populations are up! fishing has never been better! so whats the problem ? if you want to sell them,or  bury them in your garden  to grow tomatos....and as  far as i know  state wide size on crappies is 9 inches with a 25 fish limit unless on long island . maybe instead of attacking other fisherman we should  unite to stop the anti's .....just saying

Offline bryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging 4 PERCH!
« Reply #76 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Regarding sale of your catch, I'm saying this nicely so I don't stir a hornets nest.   :)  My problem with selling is the way it's handled, not the act of it.  No permit or license is required, other than a regular fishing license.  It just seems kind of odd to me.  I'd like to see a permit required for $5.  A simple $5 permit would allow DEC to see how many people are doing it and possibly help determine if changes need to be made.  I know lakes that could use way more than 50 perch taken out at a time, some less.  And I know shops or stores are doing it under the counter, otherwise guys like the two LG poachers last year wouldn't take 300 over their limit in a day.  The shop would simply say I can only take 50 at a time per person, right?  The small charge would help give a little money to DEC and wouldn't hurt anyone selling.  I know guys can make a hundred or two a week through the ice, the permit fee really wouldn't put a dent in your income.  And I'd like to make the shops report how many fish they're buying and where they were caught.  Again, just info for the DEC for possible regulations.  Something is clearly wrong and not working in my opinion if guys can keep 300 perch over their limit in a day.  SOMEBODY out there is buying them.  Just my opinion- no real problem with the act of selling, just a problem with how it's handled.  :)  Good luck to all! YOU WANT TO SELL FISH THEN BUY A COMERCIAL LICENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #77 on: Dec 19, 2009, 07:00 PM »
That's what we need....another fee imposed on people who are not breaking any law. There are enough limits and restrictions in place already.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #78 on: Dec 19, 2009, 07:18 PM »
well put RG

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 19, 2009, 07:31 PM »
 Also, buying a Comercial License, these fellows when selling fish would be paying taxes. The whole problem is that fellows who sell fish [perch] get paid CASH and don't pay taxes on their income. Not like other fellows who work on and above the table that do  pay taxes.
 The limit on perch should be 50 state wide every county, otherwise the BUCKET fellows are going to deplete the perch population.
 That is my opinion, and  I am sticking to it!!!!!!!!

hinkydo

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #80 on: Dec 19, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Who says buying a commercial license will put them under the tax microscope? What difference does it make anyway? Forcing a guy who's trying to pay for his fishing or feed his family to pay taxes on his meager income is a good thing???

At $2.00 / lb (an high price) a guy with a legal limit may see $20 for a day's fishing.

You want him to pay additional fees and now taxes....you gotta be kidding!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Dec 19, 2009, 08:57 PM »

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Let the bucket guys be bucket guys.
It'll eat.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:34 PM »
  It's only a 1.20 a lb around here!!   If I needed money, I'd do better picking up cans!  ;D

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 19, 2009, 09:46 PM »
and what ever gills you catch along the way are like a bonus...could be a nice full time job for a man. jmo :o

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #85 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:00 PM »
i wanna make a trip up to where your getting 12 " perch all day

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:23 PM »
WOW how quickly this topic has changed selling ?buying? eating?  at this point I'm afraid to even catch a perch

Offline bryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • jigging 4 PERCH!
« Reply #87 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:55 PM »
That's what we need....another fee imposed on people who are not breaking any law. There are enough limits and restrictions in place already.

RG
not breaking the  law??????? get real

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 19, 2009, 11:06 PM »
 It's only a 1.20 a lb around here!!   If I needed money, I'd do better picking up cans!  ;D
same here with 1.20 . a 7-8 inch perch is not close to half a pound. a mixed bucket of 8.5-12 inch perch of 50 will average around 18 pounds. a 9 inch fatty is about 1/3 pound. a five day limit will net you 100 dollars or so at that rate.trust me i have done it and wont again. killing that many fish is not worth it to me. u do what u want though within the law....

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
« Reply #89 on: Dec 19, 2009, 11:18 PM »
Once you figure in the cost of bait, tags, gas getting there, food, and of course beer, you cant even come close to breaking even! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.