New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 50 fish perch limit  (Read 14036 times)

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
50 fish perch limit
« on: Nov 22, 2009, 11:30 AM »
has anyone heard that they are changing the limit to 50 in Jefferson county NY???

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 50 fish perch limit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2009, 12:04 PM »
I always thought 50 was the limit state wide unless there is somewhere with special regs.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2009, 02:35 PM »
There are no exceptions. 50 perch is the statewide limit.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline ugp685

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2009, 02:54 PM »
I think Canadarago Lake has a 25 perch limit if I recall correctly?

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:24 PM »
dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/fishguide09
Jefferson County...All waters except Sandy Pond.... Perch and Sunfish... Any size any number. It's in the special regulations for Jefferson. Sorry RG. Cheeks out!!! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:29 PM »
You are correct sir. Canadarago and Goodyear lakes have a 25 perch limit.:thumbsup: There may be others I'm thinking....check your local regulations.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:50 PM »
dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/fishguide09
Jefferson County...All waters except Sandy Pond.... Perch and Sunfish... Any size any number. It's in the special regulations for Jefferson. Sorry RG. Cheeks out!!! 8)
cheecks have you heard anything about them changing it

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2009, 06:56 PM »
No I haven't, first time was from you. I think we are safe for this season. Cheeks out!!! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2009, 07:05 PM »
If my memory serves me correctly, Champlain also has a special reg. NO limit on perch aside from Cumberland Bay.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Proposed regulation changes:

The following are highlights of the proposed changes:

* Eliminate catch and release only regulations in Hempstead Lake (Nassau County) as this warmwater fish community has rebuilt since the restriction was instituted in 2004.
    * Eliminate the 15 inch minimum size limit for black bass at Fort Pond (Suffolk County) and at Lake Ronkonkoma (Suffolk Co.) as recent surveys have shown stable bass populations at these waters.
    * Apply the statewide regulation for pickerel, eliminating the "no size" limit regulation in: Essex, Hamilton, Saratoga, Warren and Washington County waters.
    * Apply the statewide regulation creel limit of 50 fish per day for yellow perch and sunfish for Clinton, Essex, Franklin and Hamilton Counties, as well as for Schroon Lake, as this limit will help protect against overexploitation.
    * Eliminate special regulation prohibiting smelt fishing at Portaferry Lake in St. Lawrence County as no smelt runs have been reported in many years.
    * Delete the 5 +5 brook trout special regulation (Regions 5, 6 & 7), which allows for an additional 5 brook trout under 8 inches as part of the daily limit, as there is no basis for retaining this special regulation for this species.

No mention of Jefferson though.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:08 PM »

RG
You can fish Ontario in Jefferson county with no limits RG. Past a certain point on the lake, I think Henderson harbor is the same, lets hope because caught quite a few there a couple summers ago.

Hope all goes well with the parking in Chamount bay this year, maybe should get an old pickup and put chains on the tires and start an ice taxi.

cny

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:18 PM »
  North of Stony point, isn't it!            What's with that pickeral reg!!!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline jig247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2009, 07:20 AM »
clinton, essex, hamilton and franklin county have no limit on perch and sunfish and lake champlain has no limit except for cumberland bay of 50 due to pcb contamination, this will be the last ice season for these regs.  The proposed regs i believe will be law after 0ct. 15 0f 2010.  As for the bays on lake ontario I think they will also have a 50 fish limit. 

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:17 AM »
The 50 fish limit was imposed to limit the sale of perch to the general public. In Lake Erie, when the "gill net ban was enacted", the commercial fishery were taking 200,000 pounds of perch annually. At three fish to a pound average, this amounted to 600,000 perch unharvested annually. The bycatch with the perch of white perch, white bass and others resulted into a accumalation of predators that fed on the fry and fingerlings of fish such as walleye. Thus the recruitment of walleye class years failed for every year until 2003. And it is till tough to find good walleye recruitment class years today. 2009 was the worst year for walleye fishing on Lake Erie in my 66 years.
Lake Simcoe in Ontario enacted a 50 perch limit. The result was a stunting down of the perch size due to undercontrolled numbers and a lack of forage to sustain the proper growth rates for the perch biomass. Another result was over 6,000 non resident license sales were lost due to the limited amount of perch that could be in possession. It just was not economical to buy a license and gasoline to travel there. A lot of hotel rooms also went empty.
An attempt was made to limit the perch catch  on Lake Champlain and apparently the fishery managers are realizing the foolishness of this action. This is the first time in my recollection that license selling agency has ever responded this way to the "catch and release" crowd.
You must balance the harvest of fish on the waters and not let uncontrolled fish populations form a "boom and bust" fishery.
The Canadians did a test of perch growth rates with heated water and maximum forage to feed the perch. It took eight months to grow an eight inch perch for harvest as an aquaculture study. How long does it take to grow an eight inch perch on your waters?
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:28 AM »
HAY JSKi 2; I can remember YEARS,ago going to the DUNKIRK PIER, when the commercial fish boats came in and seeing the HUGE  crates LOADED, with walleyes, perch -etc fish. :(  :(
aka FishingPolski

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:22 AM »
The commercial boats took 20,000 walleye a year. There were 100,000 licensed anglers in Erie County alone. That was one walleye for every five  licensed anglers. The angling community labeled them as criminals. The facts are we must keep the perch and other species under control to return the walleye fishery. The commercial fishermen were labeled by the anglers as the cause of the extermination of the "blue pike". The facts show that the "blue pike" was preyed upon by an uncontrolled mass of smelt, who also decimated the lake trout, whitefish and ciscoes. In 1964 the Canadians started trawling for the smelt and shipping them for food to Asia. When the smelt numbers came down, the other species recovered somewhat.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:04 PM »
Actually there are quite a few lakes up north that have no limit on catch or size for perch heres a link to all counties in NY regulations hope it helps i know i wouldnt wanna live in Nassau county for they have a 15 perch limit 8 in and over not that id keep anything perch wise under 9 or 10 in but you get my point its always good to check yearly since they change it so much year to year.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7917.html

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2009, 07:13 PM »

RG
Schroon Lake used to be all you want.

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:43 AM »
 Not for nothing, but just wondering how many times do you guys actually get 50 fish limits each season? Of course you can do it at Chamaunt bay,  and maybe Onieda, but We ice-fish pretty seriously here around western N.Y. and only keep the perch that are over 9". Honestly, If I clean 20-30 fish it's a real good day!
I don't think I'd even WANT to clean 50 fish unless I was having a family reunion or something ;)Anyway , what's your thoughts? C Ya    deV-0>/
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline BJSClamMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:56 AM »
 I have to laugh when I see someone fishing for Perch and they toss EVERYTHING they catch on the ice . .  I mean some of the perch look like they could be put back on the hook and used for bait !
  Not saying that there neccessarily has to be a length minimum , but come on guys use some judgment and be a sportsman and practice a little more " catch and release" when it comes to Perch fishing ....

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:19 AM »
Some waters need a "balanced harvest" at times. If the perch biomass is out of control, you are wrong by not taking the small ones. The rest of them will get bigger and other species such as walleye will recover from the perch "unbalance". The taking of too many walleye contributes to perch population explosions. Lakes with good walleye populations have good large perch catches.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:37 AM »
I'd rather see someone with 50 dinks in thier bucket than 50 pigs. Thinning the small ones is a better pratice than keeping the breeders in any body of water. We have a group of russians that fish around here and keep everything big or small (mostly small) and they grind them up and make fish patties. I'd hate to see what would happen if they got on schools of breeders consitantly.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:45 AM »
If the DEC does not do anything about the Cormorant population, you will not have to worry about the perch biomass being out of control.  The perch fishing the past two falls and winters (Rochester area of Lake Ontario) have not been as good as the ones prior.  Not getting as many small fish as the past.  Last season we also caught 2 cormorants while perch fishing off the piers.  We were reeling in perch and the cormorant took the perch.  Not fun.  They are a very nasty, smelly bird. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:55 AM »
send em up here  you can have all the perch you want!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Actually the DEC is currently shooting coomarants and destroying nests in certain ares (at least in region 9 where I work), what needs to be done is a season needs to be opened or a bounty needs to be put on them for a short time to get others involved and really put a dent in the population.I don't know about you but I would have a shotgun in the boat all summer trolling for eyes and I could kill hundreds and it would make for an interesting outing hunting and fishing at the same time. A couple dollar bounty would make sure people would retreive the carcasses and not leave them to pollute the water also.

Offline pursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:10 AM »
Actually the DEC is currently shooting coomarants and destroying nests in certain ares (at least in region 9 where I work), what needs to be done is a season needs to be opened or a bounty needs to be put on them for a short time to get others involved and really put a dent in the population.I don't know about you but I would have a shotgun in the boat all summer trolling for eyes and I could kill hundreds and it would make for an interesting outing hunting and fishing at the same time. A couple dollar bounty would make sure people would retreive the carcasses and not leave them to pollute the water also.
could not agree more. perch fishing on Champlain has gone to hell with those birds. estamated pop. now almost 30,000 birds and there favorite food....perch. they have made the islands look like a bomb was dropped on em. so far the solution has been to oil the eggs.. what a joke. I think a bounty is the way to go, even if it was just enough to pay for shells.
And God said "let there be FISH"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Hey guys, I gotta good idea. DEC could use those stupid birds as a viable reason to jack license fees again next year. Kidding of course. Or better yet. We could start paying for perch stamps to pay for the bounties. All tongue in cheek guys.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2009, 06:57 PM »
lower part of champlain is unlimited perch    and your starting to see the comarants in different parts of the state we have some  on the hudson :'(
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Hey guys, I gotta good idea. DEC could use those stupid birds as a viable reason to jack license fees again next year. Kidding of course. Or better yet. We could start paying for perch stamps to pay for the bounties. All tongue in cheek guys.
Don't give them any ideas, I work there and I hear some of the crazy ideas they come up with and they might be reading this. Thankfully I bought my lifetime  lisence this year so increases don't scare me but species stamps would pi$$ me off. I paid to fish till I die no matter what species.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:42 PM »
I often keep my 50-fish limit and it is a pain to clean but the lake I fish regularly is way way over populated I don't take any dinks less than 8 inches because they are a pain to clean but anything else goes on the ice and in the bucket. I eat all I catch no waste but I do take alot   our lake needs it. The more we catch the better they get and seems the average size has grown every year for the past five I have fished it and it is a very popular lake. I realize that 5 years is not a huge amount of time to really know if it is helping or hurting  but I do know that right now it is helping. And at worse if we can, which I doubt, even dent the perch population the walleye will have a better chance once again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.