Author Topic: Halibut Fishing Sometime???  (Read 2593 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Halibut Fishing Sometime???
« on: Oct 06, 2008, 12:29 PM »
I know this isn’t what Ice Shanty is for (non-hard water fishing that is) but I do love this site so much, and hopefully a little fish-networking isn’t against the rules.   Here’s my story… I’m from Montana and am looking to do some Halibut fishing up in Alaska.  It’s been my dad’s dream for years to get up there one day and do a little Halibut fishing.  He’s been talking about it for a LONG time, but never can bring himself to save up a pile of money to pay an expensive guide for the chance to maybe catch a fish.  Anyways, my wife and I just bought our first house and he’s been over there with me every free second for the last several months, helping us fixing it up.  He’s the real expert, I just fumble around and get in his way mostly.  As a “thanks a lot, couldn’t have done it without you” type gift, I’d like to take him Halibut fishing.  I would like to try and save some money if I can.  I can get up to Alaska at no charge, so that would save some money.  Can anyone offer me a little assistance in this endeavor?  Location doesn’t matter that much to me?  If you or someone you know has a boat, or goes Halibut fishing every now and then, I’d love to get in touch, or at the least you might be able to point me in the right direction, so I don’t get ripped off too much?  Cheap place to stay, company to fish with?

Anyways, if you can think of anything I’d love some help!  Just trying to get creative to save some money while fulfilling a long time dream of my dad.  Thanks for your time and feel free to PM me any time, or reply here.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Re: Halibut Fishing Sometime???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2008, 11:30 AM »
Been a couple months, just wanted to bump this to the top as more people are out on the ice now.  I've checked around at some guide services, and the rates aren't all that bad really,  but if anyone has any advise  I'd love to hear it.  Thanks again to the IS community in the great state of Alaska!!!

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2008, 12:04 PM »
Here's another site for ya.  ;)
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

South Central Alaska has some excellent halibut fishing. Homer at the end of the Kenai Peninsula claim to be the halibut capital of the state. Places like Anchor Point and Deep creek are also excellent places. An added benefit of these spots are that they are closer than Homer to the fishing locations, so travel times are reduced. They are also interesting in the fact that they are tractor launches and are launched right off the beach.

Offline Xanfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008, 01:34 PM »
My personal preference is Seward. A couple of outfits to check with would be Pro-Fish-N-Sea or Salt Water Safaris. I have also been out with the Fish House and had a great time but they have the big party boats, great if you have a group of 12-14 otherwise you are on board with a boatload of strangers. The company would still be good but the Captain will fish different than he would if every one was together. Try to stick with the Six-Pack boats.

The Homer side has some awesome fishing no doubt and I fish that side a few times early on in the season. But between the Silver Salmon and the Scenery I like Seward.
Plus when the weather gets up out of Deep Creek or Anchor Point you are not getting out at all. No protection. Out of Seward there is some places to to get out of the bad weather that still produce fish.

If you come up in July you can do a Halibut charter one day and a Salmon charter the next. The silver fishing is crazy in the bay if you hit it right. Limit is 6 per person. You can do a 1 day combo Halibut/Salmon but more than likely they will put you on smaller Halibut 20-30lb range.

Hope this helps out.

While I haven't paid for a charter in years( perks of the business I work in, plus I have my own small boat) I think you can expect $225-$250 per person, maybe more for a combo.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2008, 02:32 PM »
thats about the price I've been finding.  cheapest around 185.  the salmon add on looks to add an additional $40, with any company.  But, if it means not finding larger halibut I'd rather just take the Halibut 1 day. 

Our tentative Itinerary looks like.... Fly in day 1, Fish day 2, fly out day 3.  So 2 nights lodging, 1 day fishing.  don't have much vacation time I can take, otherwise I'd love to stay for a few extra days. 

Thanks for the great info,  keep it coming!!!  Any experience/ expertise you can give me would be much apreciated! 

Oh, and by the way.  We aren't too picky on dates, but I was thinking around Late May/Early June, just to try and keep the costs down a little more.  its that a terrible idea??? 

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2008, 03:27 PM »
I'd advise you don't put all your roe in one basket...so to speak!

only leaving one day to fish could have you not fishing at all - flight delay, car trouble, bad weather - anything can happen - for a once in a life time trip the odds of something screwing up on that tight of a timeline seem too high to me. Not saying it will or to expect it - you would likely have no problems and pull it off, but how dissapointed would you be if you couldn't fish and had to get back on the plane not having done what you came to do?

Also don't forget about drive time from Anchorage and back - you have to be standing on the dock very early and you fish the day away. Sure it's light all day, but those roads have fatalities every summer from people crossing the centerline presumably after falling asleep at the wheel.

I would suggest at least two full days/nights be planned for wherever you fish from (3 would be better) - travel day 1 (including drive to your fishing town) - fish day 2, fish day 3 (one halibut - one salmon or a combo or whatever you want - have to watch daily and in posession bag limits). Drive to anchroage at the end of day 3 (or morning of day 4) and fly back.

Another thing to watch for is transport costs to get your fish home - if you catch big halibut or lots of salmon the bill can get obscene real quick. I don't know much about costs other than that -sounds like maybe you work in the airline biz though (free travel) so maybe it's easier for you. It gives you time to hopefully overcome any problems in your trip and if all goes well more time to enjoy Alaska!

Hope it works out for you - I didn't get to go on a charter last year. Gas prices just made it too expensive to spend $300 on gas to get there and back another $300 for a charter, room and food, for two fish. Last time out I only came home with 70lbs of butt and some ling - there's just no way I could have justified the costs. Hopefully this next summer will find me in valdez again!

Offline berto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2008, 03:53 PM »
perchhogslayer, if you unhide your email i will give you my suggestion...i can't figure out how to pm on this site!

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2008, 04:05 PM »
perchhogslayer, if you unhide your email i will give you my suggestion...i can't figure out how to pm on this site!

I think they have it set so you can't PM till you get over 7 (I think) posts,  then you're free to PM as much as you want.  my e-mail is:  jakemohrmann at hotmail.com

Thanks for all the info guys!  your right,  I do have family working in the airline bussiness, so we'd be flying standbye.  I checked in on getting fish back home, and I think thats a hurdle we can overcome fairly easily, unless we catch a few 400 pounders (unlikely), in which case I think I could call people that would finance the fishes return costs, provided they get a large share.   :)

We'll probably end up making it a 4 day trip, but as we are flying standbye, we aren't stuck to catching any particular flight.  if we don't make it, we don't make it,  it'll be a vacation so no stressing. 

Thanks again for the advice.  any more is still apreciated!!   :tipup:

Offline berto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2008, 04:14 PM »
perchhogslayer,

okay, i am a doofus...i think now i sent you 2 pm's  :-\

at least i figured out the pm system here  ;D

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2008, 04:18 PM »
if your going down there for 4 days don't forget that there is good stream and river fishing for salmon as well, especially if you go to the Kenai peninsula which i would recomend because it would offer you the shortest drive to halibut fishing.  July is probably the best time to fish for halibut.  Being from Ninilchik, AK on the Kenai these are what i would recomened.  

june    homer for halibut,  homer spit lagoon and lower peninsula small streams for kings,  maybe hit the russian river for red salmon on your way back if the report is good.  expect lots of people

july   seward or ninilchik for halibut,  kenai or cook inlet combo charter for kings, reds somwhere in the kenai expect lots of people

august   seward or lower peninsula for halibut and silvers not too many people on lower peninsula

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Perchslayer,
Have you considered fishing Washington State?  I have caught numerous large halibut from the Neah Bay area DIY and it's within' driving distance from Montana!  If location is not an issue, then this option would be #1 on a budget.  Not only is it decent fishing, but the scenery is pretty too!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:43 PM »
Perchslayer,
Have you considered fishing Washington State?  I have caught numerous large halibut from the Neah Bay area DIY and it's within' driving distance from Montana!  If location is not an issue, then this option would be #1 on a budget.  Not only is it decent fishing, but the scenery is pretty too!
I went to undergrad school in seattle.  Loved the area.  correct, not too far (8-10hrs)  but don't have access to a boat.  I do love the scenery up there though.  As we can get up there at no cost, I figured Alaska would be the place to do it. 

Thanks again for all the great advice guys!  IS is fantastic for networking, and learning.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2008, 12:53 PM »
saw some 2 for 1 deals out of ninilchik 210 per day and that covers 2 people

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2008, 01:49 PM »

Thats the best I've heard of.  who was that with?  I figured with the lowsey economy, there might be deals out there like that. 

Offline Xanfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2008, 04:14 PM »

wow that is a deal. haven't seen that advertised. that would be cheaper than dragging my boat down and paying the tractor fee :o

Offline komocazie74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2008, 10:26 PM »
that deal was probably seen on craigslist-http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tix/955446409.html

I've never fished w/ them and have no info on them.

if you watch craiglist in the spring there are more outfits on there w/ different deals

you only live once- take time to enjoy it

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:24 AM »
You wont beat $210. for 2 perchogslayer.  I went out of Ninilchok a couple of years ago with afishunt charters which if I remember right, was right next door to the link posted.  Had a great time, tractors back you right out in the water.  Paid $185 then as a single.  Great experience, I want to go back!  Try to do a trip for silvers as well.  Enjoy.

Offline Xanfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2008, 01:25 PM »
that deal was probably seen on craigslist-http://anchorage.craigslist.org/tix/955446409.html

I've never fished w/ them and have no info on them.

if you watch craiglist in the spring there are more outfits on there w/ different deals

I have tried to hook up with some of these deals but always ends up being a dead end. IMO I would stick with the reputable guys and pay the extra. It might be a good deal but I wouldn't want to risk a spendy trip up from the lower 48 on a craigslist deal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.