Author Topic: how big are jumbo's  (Read 43347 times)

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how big are jumbo's
« Reply #180 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:21 PM »
Tax....it's possible that blank is out there now, as I did give the guy permission to use make numerous casts from the mold...At the time I was really happy with the mount, and to tell you the truth, if it wasn;t for that mount I wouldn't be dabbling in taxidermy today, so from that respect I am happy.  Personally, I know I am capable of a better job myself now so I can take some solace in that fact.  Anyways, I just snapped a couple a photos for JAZII so that he can see that indeed it is a perch mouth and not a walleye mouth...it may have just been the angle I was holding the camera at or something.  God, I feel like I am having to defend the fact that I caught a perch bigger than most people have ever seen....

mouth shots..

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:50 PM »
IceGeek,

There is a lot of responsibility with catching a big fish. Lots of folks want to discredit you. Look what happens whenever a record deer or fish is taken. Been there done that with the perch in my avatar. It got so bad with my perch on a fishing website that they had to kick off a guy that was threatening me.  He was threatening to come to my house and kick my ***. Of course it didn't help he said he caught a 15 inch bluegill but never took a picture, and I say I think it's hooey unless I see a picture!  ;D

Could you PM me the guy that did your recreation? I'm curious if I know him. I know lots of taxidermists in New York. I promise not to say anything to anyone. Just curious to see if I know him. 
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:55 PM »
 Having looked at all the measurements in this thread,especially the photos of fish against a tape.Everyone of these fish would measure a half inch to full inch longer,if they were properly measured. Properly being the tail fin squeezed to a point,measuring on a cradle style board is also a hell of alot more accurate then a steel tape. Not to mention the above method is how fish are measured by wardens and biologists.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:01 AM »
Having looked at all the measurements in this thread,especially the photos of fish against a tape.Everyone of these fish would measure a half inch to full inch longer,if they were properly measured. Properly being the tail fin squeezed to a point,measuring on a cradle style board is also a hell of alot more accurate then a steel tape. Not to mention the above method is how fish are measured by wardens and biologists.

Laying a tape under the fish or beside it is pretty darn close compared to laying a tape on top of a fish where the tape gains length by the curvature of the tape produced by the curvature of the fish. Just for the record my fish was measured on a board. It has a tape laying next to it to show the length.

From my experience boards produce a shorter length not a longer one for the reason given above.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Jan 03, 2008, 03:33 PM »
 No,you are aren't getting a shorter reading off of a board.You're getting a true reading,because there's no way to cheat.If the snout of fish is touching the end of the board stop and the tail is measured to the point,thats the actual measurement and thats how biologists and anyone else that actually records accurate fish growth measures them.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:15 PM »
No,you are aren't getting a shorter reading off of a board.You're getting a true reading,because there's no way to cheat.If the snout of fish is touching the end of the board stop and the tail is measured to the point,thats the actual measurement and thats how biologists and anyone else that actually records accurate fish growth measures them.

Actually in retrospect I think we are saying the same thing sledder. When I said "shorter" for the measuring board, what I meant is shorter than if by using a tape measure over the top. (Measuring using a tape mesure over the top of the fish gets you a false longer measurement.) So yes the board measurement is the "true" measurement but will be shorter than if a tape is placed on top of the fish.

Are we good?  ;)

BTW I have a fisheries degree and have worked in the field. Done my share of measuring fish to the nearest millimeter until I was sick of it.  ::)

Here's a board I built myself out of a PVC pipe cut in half. I use it regularly along with my certified scale for my fish sales.

See:

http://www.ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:44 PM »
Tax,
  Been away on business and just got back in town tonight....I'll PM you the info as soon as I dig it up.
-Bob

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #187 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:56 AM »
Yes, that is "one perch" with more than 7 bars.(random variations) Show me a pile of perch and lets see how many would be like that.

JazII,

Here is a picture of a couple of perch with 2 of them having 8 bars.  They are outlined in red and numbered.  Also look back to page 11 Jim111's post and Icetrekker17's post on page 9.  The perch in Jim111's right hand has 8 bars.  The picture below in that same post, shows a perch that also has 8 bars.   In Icetrekker17's post, the perch has 8 possibly nine bars.  I do agree the majority of the perch population has 7 bars but not all of them like stated earlier. 

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #188 on: Jan 04, 2008, 01:08 PM »
And another perch with less than 7 stripes.  Look at the top perch in this picture.  It only has 5 stripes.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Jan 04, 2008, 11:20 PM »
anything over 11" is good for me, i always fillet my own perch, i think they taste better when you do. my record is 13" 2.5 lbs

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:40 PM »
And another perch with less than 7 stripes.  Look at the top perch in this picture.  It only has 5 stripes.
(Image removed from quote.)

I think we need to do a check on quality control. Someone isn't painting all those bars in!  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.