Author Topic: how big are jumbo's  (Read 43359 times)

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: how big are jumbo's
« Reply #120 on: Jan 23, 2005, 03:39 PM »
Germ,
  I told you last year that I would post a pic of a 17+ inch fish that I caught.  I can't seem to find the pic, and I remembered I told you I would post a pic, then totally forgot about it. I just got the fish back from the taxidermist and took a pic of it next to a ruler. (I was holding the ruler and taking the pic at the same time so it's abit awkward, but you can get a sense of the size.  It was weighed on a certified scale to be 2.41 pounds and had a 14" girth.  I've heard all of the stories about 18" perch and I have yet to see one either.  I also caught 3 that went 15+ the same day, but only had the cash to get one mounted and I obviously chose the biggest one.
-IceGeek

camo_fish

« Reply #121 on: Jan 23, 2005, 04:47 PM »
Icegeek, that is a beautie.  :o WTG  :D

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #122 on: Jan 23, 2005, 08:32 PM »
Can u post a pic with your hands in it to get a Shot for some sort of comparison to sizr of girth? I means its a great big perch but beside the ruler doesnt do that BAd boy justice.........GIve us something else in the picture so We can See the giant:>:> I like to call it a "Point of COmparison.......LOL even though you have the ruler you would be surprized just how much more it makes a difference if there is a P.O.C in the pic with it:>Like a Can of Pop That sort of thing:>:> or your hand........What ever:> LOL nice fish though
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #123 on: Dec 07, 2005, 12:36 PM »
Germ,
  I'll try and find something else to put in the picture with it and take a pic this year just for you!  Sorry I never responded last year...I guess I never came back and checked this topic once I posted,......

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #124 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Bob,
did you catch it, where I think you got it? A real nice mount.

Pete

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:46 AM »
Yep.....that's where I caught it.  Pete, I got a really nice spot near where I caught it marked on my GPS.....got tons of really nice fish out there this past year.  Maybe we can schedule a trip out there this year if it freezes good.  It's out in 36 fow but I hammered the big ones every trip out there last year once I found the spot.  I didn't have really good luck early in the season, but later I hit em good.  I drove over the spot in my boat during open water and there is some structure that shows up on the fishfinder, so I have to believe that whatever it is...it's what's holding the fish.  Also caught a 6 pound smallie on my tipdowns and a few bigger pike there last year as well......

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #126 on: Dec 08, 2005, 01:52 PM »
That is one great Perch! Nice job! :clap:

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #127 on: Dec 13, 2005, 02:05 PM »
i like germ's idea of a P.O.C. but that is an awsome perch man :o :o

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Dec 13, 2005, 03:20 PM »
Thanks PIKEGUY!, When I pulled it through the hole I was like "DAMN!" then within 5 minutes I caught 3 more that all went 15+ inches....people say perch don't fight hard....but those guys gave me a good fight on the ultralight line....

Offline jeffw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:13 PM »
I fish simcoe regularly and in my opinion a jumbo is nothing under 12". !/3 of the fish are usually a jumbo.
Cheers Jeff

Offline icemonster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:28 PM »
The cutoff is definitely 11-13/64".

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'll Treck for Miles For Slab Perch...
« Reply #131 on: Jan 01, 2006, 08:46 PM »
my avatar has a 16.5'' slob perch...icegeek's got me by a hair !

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 01, 2006, 08:58 PM »
haha all this Point of Comparison and jumbo perch talk is gettin' me pumped!  heres my biggest...16.5'', and one heck of a fish.
A Lake Erie jumbo!  Best perch fishing anywhere...I dont think you catch em' under 11'' here.  every year someone catches an 18 or 19 incher, and every so often they get even bigger.  the NYS record was 3.8lbs caught there on a minnow.

Offline BillP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Jan 01, 2006, 09:28 PM »
Ya hes a big one my record for yellow perch is 14 inches
Fishing + Hunting + guitar = MY LIFE!!!!!

Fish on
Bill

Offline king fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Feb 02, 2006, 09:12 PM »
wow thats pretty big i thought i had nice one 13.6'' :o

PIKEGUY

« Reply #135 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:32 AM »
wow thats pretty big i thought i had nice one 13.6'' :o

That is pretty big  ;)

Offline king fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:31 PM »
yeah true true but its fun catching them :tipup:

Offline king fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Feb 03, 2006, 06:05 PM »
yeah really exciting
 :o

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:44 PM »
Yeah but they taste lousy, like any panfish or walleye I've ever tried out of Erie or Ontario.  They're big but no good to eat.  :sick:  Until you've eaten a perch from Lake George or the finger lakes you haven't eaten perch.  :D

haha you're a joke.  don't tell me i haven't eaten perch.  i've had seneca lake perch and bass, and hate to ruin your day, but its no different my friend.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #139 on: Feb 05, 2006, 11:03 PM »
Here In Colorado we consider anything 12" or greater a jumbo perch. My biggest perch are almost 15".
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:32 AM »
lake ontario certainly has her water problems, but lake erie has come a long way since the 70's.  the zebra muscles cleaned that lake up A LOT, to the point where you can see bottom in 20fow.  we spent a week in seneca lake a few years back and caught some bass and some perch.  tasy, as expected.  we come back and fish lake erie all summer, no difference b/w the two.  maybe you had a bad fry or botched a recipe. 

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #141 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:46 AM »
Sorry icetrekker, I have to agree with slipbob on this one. There is a huge difference in taste betwen a Great Lakes perch and a Finger Lakes perch. I don't think either one tastes bad but the FL perch taste better. If you are comparing perch to bass (see quote below) I'd say you have no sense  of taste. Bass are some of the most foul tasting fish there are. Right up there with their cousin, the carp.  :)

"a few years back and caught some bass and some perch.  tasy, as expected.  we come back and fish lake erie all summer, no difference b/w the two."
Pete Lewis

dwayne

« Reply #142 on: Feb 07, 2006, 12:05 PM »
I've eaten my share of perch and I have to say, the lake Erie one's I ate as a kid in the 80's were by far the worse!!!!  The best would be from a little lake by my house here in rural rensselaer county. 

As for keeping perch.  I have a personal 10" size limit.  Anything over 13 I consider to be a slob..

Offline fishinmastah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:10 PM »
A jumbo white perch in my area is prob between 12-14 inches and more near 14 for the yellow
Team Maine!

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #144 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:22 PM »
DAM!!! :o Those are some very nice wall mounting perch way to go you guys. Wish we had those monsters in Mass.

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Sorry icetrekker, I have to agree with slipbob on this one. There is a huge difference in taste betwen a Great Lakes perch and a Finger Lakes perch. I don't think either one tastes bad but the FL perch taste better. If you are comparing perch to bass (see quote below) I'd say you have no sense  of taste. Bass are some of the most foul tasting fish there are. Right up there with their cousin, the carp.  :)

"a few years back and caught some bass and some perch.  tasy, as expected.  we come back and fish lake erie all summer, no difference b/w the two."

well to each their own...bass have a lateral line that, when removed, takes away a lot of the gamey taste.  they happen to be a blast to fish for, and i have had only one bad bass fry, and it was a largey from a warm pond in late summer, not lake erie. 

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:38 PM »
DAM!!! :o Those are some very nice wall mounting perch way to go you guys. Wish we had those monsters in Mass.

you do, you just need to find them....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #147 on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:23 AM »
Here is a few pics of what I call JUMBOS.

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:41 AM »
I would say soooo. What state are they from? Some people wold give there 1st. born for just 1 of them.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #149 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:01 AM »
Really nice fish!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.